Driving in snow and couldn't see sh*t

JDub1156

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB
I had same issue here in WI on several occasions and called Jeep to complain and see if recall. They said nothing out there, and I was first to report issue, which has got to be BS. I even noted it on the survey directly from Jeep I got 3 months after purchase. A lady actually called me about it and said she noted and would pass on. Havenā€™t heard back in over a month.
Sponsored

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
As a Michigander, this happens to me at least one a winter, at least. The only way to go is Amber lamp covers for your off road lamps. The bright white light just shines back in your face and you're screwed. I purchased some 9" off road lamps and paid extra for the amber covers. When the weather report calls for snow, I pop them on just in case. they do work
Are you off road lights "non-LED"?

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
The problem that I have is not the reflection of the snow from the LED's.
The problem is that the LED's do not generate any heat to melt the snow. The headlights, the fog lights and the daytime driving lights all get snow covered even in a moderate snow at 55mph within 10 miles. The light does not project through the snow cover. So putting an amber cover or amber LED's do not cure the issue. NO HEAT.

akmuddy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
So got caught in heavy snow last night. The JL coped fine except that I couldn't see a thing! There was so much reflection from the headlights that I ended up turning them off and just driving with side lights. I've never had this problem with other . cars to anything like the same extent and other cars were passing me without any apparent problems. I've got the LED lights. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem? Is it the lights? Could they need adjusting? Or just the design?
I had the same issue the day after I picked up my JLUR. I got caught in a snow storm in Billings, MT coming back to Colorado. I couldn't see a thing while other vehicles seemed to have no issue. The LEDs are an issue in snow. My plan is to add some aux lights along the A-arms and bumper. When I get in that situation n the future I will turn my LEDs off and use my aux lights. I was scary as hell when it happened!

Sponsored

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
The problem that I have is not the reflection of the snow from the LED's.
The problem is that the LED's do not generate any heat to melt the snow. The headlights, the fog lights and the daytime driving lights all get snow covered even in a moderate snow at 55mph within 10 miles. The light does not project through the snow cover. So putting an amber cover or amber LED's do not cure the issue. NO HEAT.
Mopar LED Heated Light Kit for JL $199 at Quadratec
jeep-wrangler-fire.jpg

Last edited:

xtraham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
I had LED's in my JK. Because they run cold, you'll get snow buildup over the headlights. JW speaker and other manufacturers came out with heated LED headlights to solve the issue.
My solution was to get a set of halogen fog lights (which run hot) to use when in snow storms. At least it gave me something for lighting.
My JL has halogens, and I wish it had LED's, they were much better. For the few times in winter when it snows heavily, I'd put up with the snow on the headlight issue to have better LED lighting the rest of the time.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
So got caught in heavy snow last night. The JL coped fine except that I couldn't see a thing! There was so much reflection from the headlights that I ended up turning them off and just driving with side lights. I've never had this problem with other . cars to anything like the same extent and other cars were passing me without any apparent problems. I've got the LED lights. Wondering if anyone else has the same problem? Is it the lights? Could they need adjusting? Or just the design?
Very common with LEDs. Lower color temperatures cut through foul weather better, which is why a lot of guys run amber fog lamps. LEDs have a high color temperature and suck in rain and snow. That's one thing I hate about mine.

Also, there isn't enough heat to melt snow. I've had to pull over and actually scrape ice and snow off my headlight lenses before. Sigh....

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
They just have to be lowered/adjusted a bit, I have to do the same thing, I just keep forgetting to do it.

Sponsored

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase
Treacherous drive home last night- LEDs were terrible in heavy wet snow!!! Got off expressway and onto rural roads without street lights and couldn't see ANYTHING. First experience with this as we haven't seen alot of snow this winter . Had to keep pulling over an cleaning off so we did't go into ditch. My GMC truck had LEDs but they were flush and did't sit recessed in pockets that could accumulate the snow so never had any issues with them. Luckily these conditions don't occur much here - but beware if you have/want LEDs on the Jeep. They definitely don't put out the heat to melt the snow.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Yesterday was one of the days Iā€™m happy to have the non-LED halogen bulbs. Weather in Chicagoland was crazy and a few errands ended up leaving a frozen mess. Saw another LED JLU and could barely make out his headlights as I passed him, but as you can see the standard halogens gave off enough heat to melt the mess.

D015C06A-2760-4CB2-BC7A-1802064A423F.jpeg

C972B72A-323A-4EF8-B7DC-6841E9455E30.jpeg

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Told our dealership about the LED'S not melting snow. They acted like they never heard of such a thing. Lol. We asked that they make Jeep aware of it. They simply put a note on our service report. Of course we have not heard anything from Jeep.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)