Sponsored

Driving in deep sand - 19 Sahara 6mt with LSD

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I know the Tazer will let you totally disable all electronic driver aids by holding the TSC button for like 10s.

I'm surprised that stock with TSC disabled it won't let you have wheel spin.
Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
For deep soft sand, 26psi is a bit too much air. Drop down to 10-15 psi and the chop/powerloss from the nanny system will be less
Can always wire in a kill switch for the nanny system too if your comfortable in curing and splicing in some wires

OP
OP

JoeFromPA

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 M3
For deep soft sand, 26psi is a bit too much air. Drop down to 10-15 psi and the chop/powerloss from the nanny system will be less
Can always wire in a kill switch for the nanny system too if your comfortable in curing and splicing in some wires
DE beach sand is really interesting. It's not "duny" though there's a solid incline to deal with. But it's incredibly rutted and soft from how many people drive it and "air up" the sand. It's amazing how many people get stuck to their frame on the beach.

Anyway, I'm actively exploring how much I need to air down. I have trailheads that air me down automtically to 10-15 PSI but I think I can avoid that most of the time by good driving. This would allow me to stay higher and maybe even not need to air up each time. So I was experimenting at 26 PSI to see how it went.

Might wire a kill switch for the electronic nannies. I'll experiment more before I take that step.

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I ran my previous JK and run my current JL on the DE beaches all the time, and I'm not seeing the issues you are seeing.
The JK had the 5 speed auto and the JL has the 8 speed auto, so my setup is a bit different than yours.
Currently running factory tires that I use auto-deflators to air down to 25 pounds. 37 pounds is full up on the factory tires.

When I first started running the sand in the JK, I'd leave the transfer case in 4 High, but after a couple of seasons, I switched to using 4 Low to keep heat down. Its not unusual during the summer here to see Jeeps catching fire on the beach due to skyrocketing transmission temps. It's not common, but it happens a couple of times every year.
I'm also not one to go blasting down the beach like a maniac like some of the tourons do. Nice and steady is the way I do it.

So for me, 25 pounds in the tires, 4 Low, and traction control OFF. That's how I do it and I've never had an issue on the beach.

Back in 1977 I owned an IHC Scout II that I put a set of BF Goodrich 'Sport Truck' radials on. They were 10.50x15's with the same Y-Block (non aggressive) tread pattern as the classic T/A radials that you see on muscle cars today.
Those tires were the absolute best in sand when aired down to 15 pounds.

At some point I want to find tires like that again. Something with a non-aggressive 'street tread' that is sand friendly.
Been looking a Nitto 555's in a 295/70-17 size which should be about equal to a 33 or 34" tire, but have enough sidewall to allow airing down and getting a 'sand bulge' which is what you want in sand.

Hope some of this helps.

IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_6171.jpg

Instarand

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Sahara here with manual transmission and limited slip. Keep you posted if I get into a similar situation in snow or sand.

On another note, is there any benefit in leaving off the limited slip option when building a sport or Sahara? For the price, why would anybody choose to leave it off? Other than, of course, major mods in the future plan.

Sponsored

Sand Flea

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited, Sahara
Occupation
Federal Firefighter, Retired
I see no downside to limited slip.
I opted for the limited slip, deeper gears, and the HD towing package on mine.
The beach is only about 2 miles from my house and I only put about 7k miles on in a year, so I wasn't concerned about fuel mileage.

redelses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLUR
Sport S with 6mt and LSD, and same issues in deep sand. Usually air down to 18 psi, and getting started from a stop is challenging at best, usually need to rev the engine fairly high to try to keep from stalling, but still slow and slugging from the start. Usually just stay in 4L if in deep sand and use 3rd/4th gear to try to keep momentum.

All,

I’m an experienced manual transmission driver and mild off roader. I’ve driven on deep sand with a variety of vehicles and DE beaches (where I am now ) for a few years in an AWD stock Subaru Outback without a problem (many 4wd vehicles get stuck here)

I took the JL out and for the life of me I can’t get the electronic nannies to stop cutting power In 4H to the point I’ve stalled probably 20+ times trying to get it to work. I can ONLY get rolling from a stop in 4L which gives me zero difficulty after it disables all the electronic systems. And I’ve pulled up deep inclines in deep sand in 4L with 25 psi in the tires so it doesn’t
Appear to be either my driving skills nor traction.

In anything but 4lo the Jeep is severely cutting power to the point I stall out even with significant t throttle.

For what it’s worth in the other modes from
A stop I hold down traction control off button for 5-8 seconds and see the message that both TC and electronic stability control are off. However in 4H with ESC off going
On or up the same sandy beaches from a stop I’m
Getting non stop chattering and throttle pull and bogging and shortly stalling.

Would appreciate any tips. As of now I’m
Not driving from a stop on real sand until
I’m in 4lo

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
when driving in soft sand you make a little hill in front of your tires when you stop. so when you restart, you end up having to climb that little hill and it bogs you down and makes digging in a greater possibility. so... you should always reverse for about 5 feet, THEN go forward. give yourself a little momentum and you will find you bog down less and it is easier on your truck.

BBETTS123

First Name
BRANDON BETTS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WRANGLER
Drive on DE beaches all the time rarely air down and always run in 4HI never had a problem with my JK or JL. I'll air down to about 20 psi on holiday weekends or if I have 3 or 4 people riding with me just to be cautious but usually find it a waste of time. Really depends on the vehicle and weight my 11 silverado was the best vehicle I've driven on the beach however I always had to air down driving my Tahoe and 14 RAM. The trick is staying on top of the sand I imagine that 4HI is ideal and would be nervous even using 4LO.

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
when driving in soft sand you make a little hill in front of your tires when you stop. so when you restart, you end up having to climb that little hill and it bogs you down and makes digging in a greater possibility. so... you should always reverse for about 5 feet, THEN go forward. give yourself a little momentum and you will find you bog down less and it is easier on your truck.
This is revelatory to me. The few times I have been on beach sand have not gone well.
Never got stuck, but very close several times.

This makes good sense. Thanks @johnnymiz

Sponsored

Ameza

First Name
Arnold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS
All,

I’m an experienced manual transmission driver and mild off roader. I’ve driven on deep sand with a variety of vehicles and DE beaches (where I am now ) for a few years in an AWD stock Subaru Outback without a problem (many 4wd vehicles get stuck here)

I took the JL out and for the life of me I can’t get the electronic nannies to stop cutting power In 4H to the point I’ve stalled probably 20+ times trying to get it to work. I can ONLY get rolling from a stop in 4L which gives me zero difficulty after it disables all the electronic systems. And I’ve pulled up deep inclines in deep sand in 4L with 25 psi in the tires so it doesn’t
Appear to be either my driving skills nor traction.

In anything but 4lo the Jeep is severely cutting power to the point I stall out even with significant t throttle.

For what it’s worth in the other modes from
A stop I hold down traction control off button for 5-8 seconds and see the message that both TC and electronic stability control are off. However in 4H with ESC off going
On or up the same sandy beaches from a stop I’m
Getting non stop chattering and throttle pull and bogging and shortly stalling.

Would appreciate any tips. As of now I’m
Not driving from a stop on real sand until
I’m in 4lo
Maybe I'm missing something, but if your JL has an auto tranny, your describing the exact symptoms I read somewhere else. Now I haven't confirmed this with my JL as I have less than a month with mine and have not had the chance to take it off road yet. The JL will stall in 4 high when off roading at slow speeds or from a stand still such as when getting bogged down in sand. The solution is to drive in the Manuel mode in what ever gear is best suited for the speed you are going. Hope this helps.

SuMeRiaN

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ
Update your profile so we can look for you around town ;) I don’t air down but I always run in 4low.

Mark7411

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
So just a question on this. I have a stock rim 7.5 inch wide and the approved for the Nitto Grappler is 8in. How low could I safely air down to without the concern of a rim off tire.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I’m on 33” NITTO Ridge Grapplers manual transmission and have driven super soft deep sand multiple times at 35-37 PSI (door seal sticker PSI) without issue in 4H.

I’m usually in 1st or 2nd gear low and slow. (Maybe I’m wrong there but I’ve never felt like I was going to get stuck)

I’ve had to stop several times while people are walking in front of me on the beach and no issue continuing on.

I’ve never aired down or had to use 4L on the beach in soft deep sand.
Sponsored