BigLew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevrolet Bolt Premier, 2021 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Retired-Banking-Insurance-Coal Miner-Maintenance...a bit of everything! :)
There must be 3 inches of play in the steering. It was difficult keeping our new jeep centered in the road....kinda like a ping pong ball, back and forth, constant correction. Trust me, after driving 12-13 hours it was VERY tiring and dangerous to say the least. Now I have to find a dealership in Southwest Florida to help with this issue. Even with this issue I LOVE this Jeep. It's our 4th and I'm looking forward to doing a lot of traveling throughout the country (that was the main reason for the purchase). If anyone uses a dealer that they trust in Southwest Florida, please let me know whom to ask for. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Same two things we often say:
1) if you are talking about picking it up from the dealer, the tire pressure is often way too high. Lower it to 34 or so and it will be better.

2) if your JL is 2020 or older, it may be the steering box. Check on here for the TSB to get it fixed.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
Yep, check your tire pressure, since I see you have a 2021 Sahara. I bet they are sitting at 41 or higher. I lowered mine to about 36 and it made a huge difference. That should also be what the suggested pressure is anyway. No idea why they all seem to come so highly over inflated.

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Yep, check your tire pressure, since I see you have a 2021 Sahara. I bet they are sitting at 41 or higher. I lowered mine to about 36 and it made a huge difference. That should also be what the suggested pressure is anyway. No idea why they all seem to come so highly over inflated.
Just a thought on the tires being overpressured: Possibly to avoid/minimize tire flat spots during transit.

The dealership PDI should really reset the tire pressures to what's on the placard.

#4Jeep 1st Wrangler

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Just a thought on the tires being overpressured: Possibly to avoid/minimize tire flat spots during transit.

The dealership PDI should really reset the tire pressures to what's on the placard.
100 % CORRECT...
Tires are overinflated to prevent flat spots while parked for extended periods of time ( of course Wranglers don't sit on the lot very long)...
Dealership should set p.s.i. prior to delivery ( majority don't adjust)...

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
It wouldn't hurt to try the steering reset...check the 'loose steering' thread for the procedure and which fuse to pull. It made a big difference for me.

OP
OP
BigLew

BigLew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It wouldn't hurt to try the steering reset...check the 'loose steering' thread for the procedure and which fuse to pull. It made a big difference for me.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME OUT!

I drove into Costco for some gas, shopping, etc and had them check the tire pressure......you were right......there were two tires at 41 and two at 42. They deflated them to 36lbs.....it's made a world of difference on my drive home. I sure wish I would have checked with you guys here before I picked her up and drove from TN to Naples, Florida.

BagPipesActual

First Name
BagPipes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sahara ..2021 JL Rubicon (Ordered)
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR HELPING ME OUT!

I drove into Costco for some gas, shopping, etc and had them check the tire pressure......you were right......there were two tires at 41 and two at 42. They deflated them to 36lbs.....it's made a world of difference on my drive home. I sure wish I would have checked with you guys here before I picked her up and drove from TN to Naples, Florida.
Congrats on the new Jeep and good news that the tire pressure adjustment worked. Did you go with Gupton by chance? Just ordered mine from there a couple of days ago.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
Same two things we often say:
1) if you are talking about picking it up from the dealer, the tire pressure is often way too high. Lower it to 34 or so and it will be better.

2) if your JL is 2020 or older, it may be the steering box. Check on here for the TSB to get it fixed.
I just ordered a 21 and was wondering if they changed the steering box in the new models. The automakers have a history of continuing to install an inferior part until the run out of stock.

Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
I just ordered a 21 and was wondering if they changed the steering box in the new models. The automakers have a history of continuing to install an inferior part until the run out of stock.
I would be almost sure that they had for the 21, but you can see easily. Stick your head under your Jeep … if the box is black and steel, you are good. If the box is silver and aluminum, you have the older one. Follow the Draglink up and you will see it …

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving home was a bit of a chore. Loose steering 665C0DA7-2B4D-4896-9444-70A797B28BE4

Jeep Wrangler JL Driving home was a bit of a chore. Loose steering 218B0C1B-8251-4AF2-8C46-0BB632684E0E

OP
OP
BigLew

BigLew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Congrats on the new Jeep and good news that the tire pressure adjustment worked. Did you go with Gupton by chance? Just ordered mine from there a couple of days ago.
Yes, we did go with Gupton. Daniel did the order, Renee helped with squeezing our jeep in for delivery and Walter showed the Jeep. Great team..
no pressure whatsoever. I just wish my wife wasn't in love with Florida....Me,
I'm a country boy in my 70's, enjoy hunting (Archery) and just the smell of the woods. TN is gorgeous.

BagPipesActual

First Name
BagPipes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU Sahara ..2021 JL Rubicon (Ordered)
Yes, we did go with Gupton. Daniel did the order, Renee helped with squeezing our jeep in for delivery and Walter showed the Jeep. Great team..
no pressure whatsoever. I just wish my wife wasn't in love with Florida....Me,
I'm a country boy in my 70's, enjoy hunting (Archery) and just the smell of the woods. TN is gorgeous.
Thats encouraging to hear, working with Daniel as well. Congrats again on the Jeep brother,
Sponsored