Sponsored

Driving habits of current diesel Wrangler owners and how it affects regen cycles

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
It is my understanding that one should not consider getting an eco diesel if one won't be doing consistent long-distance driving. The reasoning is that to allow the regen cycles to complete one must allow the engine to run continuously for some time. I'd like to know from current diesel owners how much of your daily driving is stop and go city driving vs long term highway driving? If you do mainly city driving with an occasional weekend long-distance drive, are you having issues with regen cycles not completing? Thanks!!
Sponsored

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
As far as we can tell, regen cycles are happening 500-600 miles apart...so long as you get off the city driving pattern at about that frequency or more, should be fine.

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD 06 Corvette. 16 FLTRU
Occupation
Lighthouse Keeper, Retired Electrical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
1st Regen I noticed was at 1900 miles .Scangauge 2 showed reg on and STM (soot load %) was at 80 when down to 50 while idling thru woods. I don't think the Regen finished. No notification on dash. The next day I drove 8 hours on the interstate. No Regen but soot load dropped to 30. Now back to city stop and go driving and STM is slowly rising.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Just short of 1,600 miles and have not noticed an obvious region cycle. Are you alerted somehow that one is going on with a stock set up and no programmer?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just short of 1,600 miles and have not noticed an obvious region cycle. Are you alerted somehow that one is going on with a stock set up and no programmer?
Nope...supposedly there is a message that can pop up if the system is mid-cycle and needs to finish but I haven’t seen anyone report it. Only a couple folks on here have a scanner capable of reporting active regen and regen intervals. 1900 miles would be rather impressive as there was one other forum member reporting the 500-600 interval.

Sponsored

OP
OP

fjavier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2020 JLUR 3.6 auto, 335 bmw
So would any of you say that your driving habits had to change due to the diesel? Based on the answers so far, no, but I am only asking because I was reading on the ram 1500 eco diesel forums (2nd gen) where people were driving maybe a few extra blocks when they detected a regen happening or adding an extra-long drive simply to limit the build-up of soot.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I had the same concern as you. Time will tell. So far, I'm at 3,200 miles and I've been driving exactly the same way I did before, except my stop/go city driving has been increased a little during this pandemic. I've had no issues yet.

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I drive the Diesel JL about the way I drove my JK. It is more fun to drive. I purchased the Scangauge II and programmed the diesel X gauges so I could learn more about the regen process. It is interesting to see the temperatures in the exhaust system rise and fall, and the Turbo boost. I'm also watching the DEF level. I assume the DEF is only used during the regen process. I have gone thru about 2 gallons of DEF in 2600 miles so I think there have been a few regen cycles. The one X gauge that is not working is total number of regens, so I don't really know.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I drive the Diesel JL about the way I drove my JK. It is more fun to drive. I purchased the Scangauge II and programmed the diesel X gauges so I could learn more about the regen process. It is interesting to see the temperatures in the exhaust system rise and fall, and the Turbo boost. I'm also watching the DEF level. I assume the DEF is only used during the regen process. I have gone thru about 2 gallons of DEF in 2600 miles so I think there have been a few regen cycles. The one X gauge that is not working is total number of regens, so I don't really know.
That is odd. I have a scan gauge II as well and the total # of regens works, but the distance since last regen does not. I notified the scangauge people and they sent out 2 dataloggers for me to run. Hopefully they will do something with that log information and get this stuff working for us. I got the impression they had done zero testing with the Jeep version of ecodiesel. I don't know much about all this PID stuff, but I was surprised it worked as well as it did.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I set up Torque app and get boost, exist gas temps, and a bunch of other stuff but no regen or soot info. Can't find any custom PID info to set up either.

Sponsored

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If you have a scanguage, you know the amount of digits to enter. I'm going to double check my entries to make sure I didn't fat finger any of them.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I set up Torque app and get boost, exist gas temps, and a bunch of other stuff but no regen or soot info. Can't find any custom PID info to set up either.
You can probably infer a regen from the exhaust temps. I’m sure @Jeff can tell you what exhaust temp threshold the scangauge II displays when entering a new regen.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
According to the Scangauge, regen started at a soot level of 80 and ended when it reached 10. Settled at 8.

No signs from the Jeep it was in regen. Maybe some different odor.

7/8 of a tank. Average mpg was 23.3 at start and 22.8 at the end. I didn't notice the instant fuel economy any different than normal.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
I am close to 2000 miles, most of my driving is on freeway - about 15 miles non stop each way.
My understanding is that regen only happens when the soot load is at a certain level reported by the sensor.
In my case, each day as my exhaust temps go high on my daily commute, any soot is burnt off as it is produced, isn't it? So if my driving habit continues, I shouldn't ever see an active regen, isn't it?
As my DPF filter will never get to the level for even an active regen to occur.

Is my understanding correct?

Jeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can probably infer a regen from the exhaust temps. I’m sure @Jeff can tell you what exhaust temp threshold the scangauge II displays when entering a new regen.
I did catch a Regen today and SCR inlet temp was 1150 deg f during regen, dropped back to 600 afterwards. Didnt get to look at other temps. It used a small amount of DEF . this is the 5th recorded regen in 3000 miles. I have not seen any indication on the Jeep on any of these, just on scanguage.
Sponsored