Sponsored

Driving 35 mph to 45 mph Engine is chugging, sputtering, shuttering (Doesn't Run Smooth)

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
And i have been waiting for nearly a year for FCA to fix the poor tune........ not enough manual users complaining i Guess .Dealer no help .
Unreal. If I would’ve known the manuals had this poor tune issue I probavly would’ve gotten the automatic. I’m still enjoying my Rubicon but it is a bit irritating driving in the 40-45 mph range. How many miles do you guys have? I just turned 2,000 today.
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
Unreal. If I would’ve known the manuals had this poor tune issue I probavly would’ve gotten the automatic. I’m still enjoying my Rubicon but it is a bit irritating driving in the 40-45 mph range. How many miles do you guys have? I just turned 2,000 today.
I have just over 3,000.

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
I have about 6k miles on my Jeep and have never experienced the issue you are having. I hope you find the issue soon.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Firecracker Red (2 Door) - 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg w/ESS - 6-Speed Manual Transmission
And i have been waiting for nearly a year for FCA to fix the poor tune........ not enough manual users complaining i Guess .Dealer no help .
Did the dealer take it for a test drive with you so they could feel it? What did they say?

Jeepcity

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon tj rubicon yj cj 8 cj 7 cherokee
Did the dealer take it for a test drive with you so they could feel it? What did they say?
They admitted there is a problem but have no solutions..they even said they are not bringing in any manual JL s for there own stock .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They admitted there is a problem but have no solutions..they even said they are not bringing in any manual JL s for there own stock .
Wow that’s crazy to me!? There’s no way that FCA hasn’t heard about this issue. Can’t believe that they aren’t addressing it. I’m sure all it would take is a software update. This sucks cuz now all I do is look and feel for it to start doing its bucking.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have not found a work around. It truly is a shame this is occurring. We are talking about tuning a n/a v6 motor. No FI or crazy cam profile. Basic engineering.
@Litfuse what did the dealer tell you?

Titanicon

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Litfuse what did the dealer tell you?
I have over 12k miles on my JLUR V6 auto and it has been doing this same thing since i got it in July '18. There are at least 3 other threads on this issue that i have been watching. None with a resolution but it is definitely not an isolated issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ttle-lag-anyone-else-having-this-issue.13002/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-light-throttle-engine-surge.22028/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/low-speed-acceleration-shudder.8327/page-3

Almost a year and a half in production still no fix from Jeep.

Titanicon

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I had similar symptoms (unexplained rough running) which were found out to be a bad variable valve train solenoid. Mine eventually started to run poorly all the time and they were able to diagnose the issue.
I'm curious to know what specific symptoms you had. My rough running (engine stutter) is primarily when trying to hold a steady speed at 1300-2000 rpm- somewhat worse if there is any uphill grade. Idling however is smooth as far as i can tell.

At this point i would be willing to replace the solenoid(s) myself if there is a chance they are the culprit. It's more than Jeep has done.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm curious to know what specific symptoms you had. My rough running (engine stutter) is primarily when trying to hold a steady speed at 1300-2000 rpm- somewhat worse if there is any uphill grade. Idling however is smooth as far as i can tell.

At this point i would be willing to replace the solenoid(s) myself if there is a chance they are the culprit. It's more than Jeep has done.
I’m glad I’m not the only one and there are other JL’ers experiencing this. Thought I was going crazy. I’d be willing to replace my solenoids too if it would resolve the issue. My issue starts when trying to hold steady right around 42 mph or 2,500 rpms in 3rd. Almost like it bucks a little. Very irritating. It baffles me cuz there’s no codes so the dealer can’t figure it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have over 12k miles on my JLUR V6 auto and it has been doing this same thing since i got it in July '18. There are at least 3 other threads on this issue that i have been watching. None with a resolution but it is definitely not an isolated issue.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ttle-lag-anyone-else-having-this-issue.13002/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-light-throttle-engine-surge.22028/
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/low-speed-acceleration-shudder.8327/page-3

Almost a year and a half in production still no fix from Jeep.
Wow?! Thank you for the threads. I read through them all and am very disappointed with FCA. All it would take is a software upgrade tune to fix the issue. I def think it’s a bad mapping issue with the oem tune. This sucks cuz every time I drive the Rubi it’s all I think about.

practicaltact

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S Mojito 2 Door
Glad I found this thread and link to others. I’m having the same type of problem, 3rd gear around 2700 rpm notice an almost imperceptible misfire/stutter. I was wondering if it was a rocker arm issue but wasn’t sure why I only noticed this problem in 3rd gear at that particulate rpm. Related to that you guys also hear a tap in the engine? I have been running 89 octane from shell exclusively for the last 3 tanks so I know it isn’t the quality of gas.

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad I found this thread and link to others. I’m having the same type of problem, 3rd gear around 2700 rpm notice an almost imperceptible misfire/stutter. I was wondering if it was a rocker arm issue but wasn’t sure why I only noticed this problem in 3rd gear at that particulate rpm. Related to that you guys also hear a tap in the engine? I have been running 89 octane from shell exclusively for the last 3 tanks so I know it isn’t the quality of gas.
Yep mine does a little weird kick around 42 in 3rd gear. Also 2,700-2,900 rpm’s Driving me F’n crazy! Can’t believe a $50,000 vehicle would behave like this. I def believe it’s a bad oem tune. I only have ticking when I first start it up but after it idles down everything is normal. I’m running amoco/bp 87 in mine. Might try 93 to see if that helps. Can’t stand this .

OP
OP
Ronnie S

Ronnie S

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep mine does a little weird kick around 42 in 3rd gear. Also 2,700-2,900 rpm’s Driving me F’n crazy! Can’t believe a $50,000 vehicle would behave like this. I def believe it’s a bad oem tune. I only have ticking when I first start it up but after it idles down everything is normal. I’m running amoco/bp 87 in mine. Might try 93 to see if that helps. Can’t stand this .
Seems like the studder is getting worse. Can’t stand driving between 35-45 mph. 3rd or 4th gear it stutters pretty bad now. Hate it. Kicking myself for trading my 2017 JK for this 2019 JL.

Titanicon

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Seems like the studder is getting worse. Can’t stand driving between 35-45 mph. 3rd or 4th gear it stutters pretty bad now. Hate it. Kicking myself for trading my 2017 JK for this 2019 JL.
I hear you. My dealer's inept responses have only p*ssed me off more ("it drives like a jeep" and "try different gas") so i figure my only option is to try to escalate with Jeep customer service. I'll report back if i get anywhere.
Sponsored