Sponsored

Drivers with automatic trans and 3.6L V6, any regrets on not getting the 2.0L Turbo?

MoJeepDust

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 00 XJ, 08 Avalanche, 76 CB550F
Occupation
Jeep Product Trainer
Already placed a factory order in D1 status for a 3.6L V6. Admittedly, I didn't know much about the 2.0L Turbo, or what low-end torque even meant. I have just always wanted a jeep, and figured that the standard 3.6 would be safe and reliable.

However, now that I have been glued to the JL forums since making my purchase, having that better low-end torque does seem like it would make driving the jeep every day as a daily driver more fun.

Also, I just assumed that a turbo engine would be in the shop all the time based on what my Uncle (who is up there in age) told me, but the general consensus seems to be that modern turbo engines are just as reliable as NA engines.

I am going to test drive both versions back-to-back on Friday at a nearby dealership and will certainly report back with my opinion, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone regrets their engine choice, especially since turbos have only recently hit the market for the JL, so not much has been posted on the internet as far as performance and "fun-factor" goes.

I'm still fairly young, and I feel that had I known more about turbocharged engines and what low-end torque meant as far as driving off the line goes that picking the 2.0 would have been a no-brainer. I've never driven a car w/ a turbo, but people seem to rave about the sound of the turbo winding up (I don't care about fuel economy, I want the engine that is more "fun" to drive) and idk... just sounds like a fun time.
The 3.6L Pentastar V6 is Chryslers flagship motor. Incase you didn't know a Pentastar is also the Chrysler logo. Its been in production since 2011 and has proven strength and reliability. Any new body style or new motor will have bugs to work out. What worries me about the 2.0 T is low end torque, but the highend capability to keep up and maintain power in the longhaul. Some us old folks remember the last 4 cylindermotor used in a wrangler and the fact that they would not go over 55mph unless you were going flat out, and downhill with the wind behind you :) haha :)
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I can’t speak to the gearing in the automatic transmission, but is the 2.0’s manual transmission geared the same as the 3.6? Also, does the 2.0 have direct injection? If it does and has the same gears in the manual transmission and has DI, it will be a huge candidate for LSPI. I would certainly pass on a 2.0 with a manual transmission, then.

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I can’t speak to the gearing in the automatic transmission, but is the 2.0’s manual transmission geared the same as the 3.6? Also, does the 2.0 have direct injection? If it does and has the same gears in the manual transmission and has DI, it will be a huge candidate for LSPI. I would certainly pass on a 2.0 with a manual transmission, then.
You can't get the 2.0 with a manual.

Blackwing 55

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR , 05 5.9 Dodge , 2014 Goldwing
Already placed a factory order in D1 status for a 3.6L V6. Admittedly, I didn't know much about the 2.0L Turbo, or what low-end torque even meant. I have just always wanted a jeep, and figured that the standard 3.6 would be safe and reliable.

However, now that I have been glued to the JL forums since making my purchase, having that better low-end torque does seem like it would make driving the jeep every day as a daily driver more fun.

Also, I just assumed that a turbo engine would be in the shop all the time based on what my Uncle (who is up there in age) told me, but the general consensus seems to be that modern turbo engines are just as reliable as NA engines.

I am going to test drive both versions back-to-back on Friday at a nearby dealership and will certainly report back with my opinion, but I'd be curious to hear if anyone regrets their engine choice, especially since turbos have only recently hit the market for the JL, so not much has been posted on the internet as far as performance and "fun-factor" goes.

I'm still fairly young, and I feel that had I known more about turbocharged engines and what low-end torque meant as far as driving off the line goes that picking the 2.0 would have been a no-brainer. I've never driven a car w/ a turbo, but people seem to rave about the sound of the turbo winding up (I don't care about fuel economy, I want the engine that is more "fun" to drive) and idk... just sounds like a fun time.
Picked up my new JLUR six weeks ago immediately took it on a 2,000 mile trip through Wyoming Colorado New Mexico Utah then back to Wyoming, although the V6 is a little shy on low end torque it's surprisingly quick and I don't have to put premium gas in it. I'm not young but have owned a lot of trucks, fast cars and even a couple other Jeeps I love the way it runs with the eight speed auto and don't regret not waiting for the turbo or the diesel. over 3,000 miles and its been flawless so far. No regrets !
DSCN0986.JPG

Sponsored

GenaL

First Name
Gena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2.0 2-door (Firecracker Red)
Wanted the 2.0 mostly for better MPG, but was told they wouldn't be available till earliest next year up here in the great white north.
I live in Canada and my 2.0 arrived this week. Just waiting for the dealer to same come and pick it up.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I love the deep rumble of my 3.6, the rapid acceleration (the limited slip rear axle will allow two black marks on the pavement if you’re not careful), and the fantastic fuel mileage. Averages 22-23 mpg in mixture of driving, have gotten as high as 28.
Wwwwhhhhaaaattttt?

RAZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara, Granite Crystal
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Canada and my 2.0 arrived this week. Just waiting for the dealer to same come and pick it up.
That's awesome. Sounds like my dealer gave me the run around then. See you are in Poco. I'm just east of you in the valley.

OP
OP

SlickJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Honda Element (2018 JL 3.6L on order)
First, let me say, I think you made a wise choice on engine selection.

However, and I say this as an owner that just took delivery at the beginning of this month, I hope you have a back up vehicle just in case. I hope I, nor any owner, have anything go wrong, but it's not a Honda or Toyota. I accept that. At 1100 miles, so far, so good....but....I also know it has new technology and it's a new year model. Just be careful about getting into the frame of mind that "nothing can EVER go wrong with this jeep". Just my opinion.
Yep. Still got my trusty 05' Honda Element. 220K miles but has never let me down, been driving her for 10 years and figure I'm due for an upgrade haha but I'm keeping her for exactly that reason.

TeeravX

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I'm fine with the performance of my 3.6 w/ auto, but I wonder if the 2.0 turbo is quieter, when idling with the AC on?
+1 I'm definitely interested to see if the updated cooling fan is 1. quieter and 2. compatible with the 3.6.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm closing in on 9k miles and this engine is breaking in nicely. Power just keeps getting stronger and it seems to rev more and more freely. I'm getting good mileage, too. Not one issue with this Jeep, so no regrets. I am loving the 3.6 and 6 speed combo!

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I have no regrets with the V6, but mark my words, the 2.0L turbo will probably become the "standard" FCA engine and replace the Pentastar in about five years.

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
no regrets. I like the instant response of a naturally aspirated motor opposed to a turbo.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
It’s important to remember than the turbo motor is going to cost you $1,000 more. No matter how I looked at it, I wasn’t able to find a reason to spend the extra money. My 2 door with the 3.6 performs above expectations.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Mine runs awesome and I have no regrets but at my altitude, I would take the turbo over my V6 any day of the week, if they would have been available at the time.
Sponsored