Sponsored

Drivers with automatic trans and 3.6L V6, any regrets on not getting the 2.0L Turbo?

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
After owning both, the V6 JLUR and the Turbo JLR both in 37s, at altitude the V6 makes lots of noise but doesn’t go anywhere quickly, and the Turbo just flat gets it. No comparison. But at sea level I don’t think there’s much of a difference. But I regretted having too many doors, more so than the engine. The Turbo was just a bonus up here.
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I have a 3.6/auto JLR and it’s in the shop - my loaner is now a 2.0/auto JLU Sport S and while it’s a bit punchier, I have absolutely zero regrets on getting the 3.6 in my Jeep.

The 3.6 is the car enthusiast’s engine, IMO. The 2.0 sounds like a Nissan Sentra mated with a blender and the real power is made in such a short RPM range so the auto trans is contantly on the move hunting for that 3800-5800 range where the turbo is spun up. The 3.6 sounds like my Audi S5 did, complete with burbles and crackles and an overall really nice sound and good NA performance. It may be very slightly lacking in torque numbers but the drama and sound it makes gives the Jeep a confident, mechanical feeling and feeling is just as important as anything to me.

I just don’t like modern 4 bangers. Feels too much like an appliance. I do respect those who prefer it though, it’s super punchy and makes the Jeep feel confusingly fast in stock form.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Driving a bone stock 2 door Sport with 3.6 and AT. Zero regrets. I admit to always turning off the ESS, but that's just aesthetic, really...I hate the FEEL of it shutting down at a stop sign...reminds too much of clunkers I used to have that might do that unintentionally. Pickup, cruise, kickdown...all good enough for me. I didn't go looking for a Porsche.

CUOFFRD

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Test drove the 2.0L and ended up buying the 3.6L. The 2.0 drove good and could have lived with either but we had the 3.6 in our 2012 JKU, 2014 Durango, and my parents have it in their 2015 300 so we are familiar with how reliable it is.

The 2.0 did feel very peppy when the turbo spooled after the brief period of lag. May have bought one without the hybrid system.

Last edited:

HealthRebel

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLRU Ocean Blue
I have a 2020 JLRU and ordered it with the 3.6 V6 and I have NO REGRETS. Since the 2.0 L was not offered with the hybrid system in the 2020 Rubicon, I was afraid it would be a HUGE disappointment from the 2019 model. Now, from what I have read, it seems it doesn't make much of a difference, which has me wondering... what's the point? If it seems to drive the same with or without the hybrid "kick-ass add more torque" battery pack, then sounds like a really bad design and a waste of parts and money, right? Oh... I guess the Electronic Start Stop (ESS) is smoother. Ahhhh... not for me. I prefer to not have to replace my starter much earlier than I should.

But, the main reason I shied away from the little 2.0 L turbo 4 from FCA was for another reason. My last 2 vehicles for the past 6.5 years were turbo 4 cylinders... 2013 BMW 328 and 2016 Mini Cooper S (also made by BMW). These are BRILLIANT little precision-made power plants. Very quick, NO turbo lag and no mechanical/maintenance issues for me. I loved both of those engines!

As for the 2.0 L turbo from FCA? Hmmmmmmmm... not sure the quality is there. I drove the 2.0 L probably 5-6 times and I just didn't think it had the refinement that the German engines had, so I passed on it.

Again, no regrets with my 3.6 V6 at all.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I will keep my 3.6 people hear the word,Turbo and they believe the vehicle has super powers, they fail to realized it's not all that much more.
After test driving both I'm happy.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I just returned last night from another off road trip, this time to Kentucky. The 3.6 yawned its way through everything thown at it, then turned in a smooth and quiet 21 mpg on the highway, to boot. This is just such a great engine, especially with the manual. (I know, the auto is outstanding, too.)

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No regrets with my 3.6 at the gas station, filling up on the cheapest gas without worrying about it affecting my engine adversely. Although given the cheaper price of 2.0 and mpg difference, I don't think gas price being lower is going to save me any money net.

Jeep seems to be really pushing the 2.0, with it (w/auto) being $1000 cheaper to get it instead of $1000 more expensive like last year. Not sure if that means they can just make it cheaper now, or they want to push out the v6 for better mileage ratings.

I may consider the 2.0 in the future if reports keep coming in that it is reliable. Although I really don't like the extra turbo crap to worry with or having to buy higher octane gas.

Sponsored

Jimmy_jak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Drove a 2018 jlu 2.0 loaner for a month. I dont regret my v6 it at all. The 2.0 is peppy but no thanks. K did really like the auto start on the key remote

jbozz

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
take a look at what the cost is on upkeep.. just general upkeep factory timeline doesn't make sense....
I Definitely have no Regrets purchasing 3.6 over the 2.0

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
V6 3.6 pentastar is a proven engine. I don't care about a little extra performance, not my thing to be a lab rat. I do think it is cool they have a 2.0 with a turbocharger on a Jeep nowadays, just not feeling very comfortable that this change has been pushed pretty much by Fiat.

I took a chance on a CVT years ago, I thought it was cool when I was in engineering school. Learned my lesson.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
base model 2 door sport with 3.6 and auto. i have no regrets what so ever. i never bothered in looking at the 2.0 due to protental problems that could occur down the road.
Sponsored