Sponsored

Drivers with automatic trans and 3.6L V6, any regrets on not getting the 2.0L Turbo?

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
I've been blown away by the gas mileage the 2.0L has provided me since day 1.

People must be in denial about the real purpose of their Jeep. It's my 2nd vehicle, not my daily driver and I estimate that aggressive offroading will only be about 5% of it's driving life.

Then again, there are people who buy cars based on published 0-60 times and will feel the need to tell all their friends how fast Car & Driver pushed the same make.

The engine sound argument is hilarious. Dude, my 3.6 sound way more gnarly than your 2.0L. Really? I mean REALLY?

Also, nothing wrong with mall crawling. Do you flame 911 GT3 drivers for driving off of the race track?
Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The sound argument is funny. My riding lawnmower sounds better than the 3.6 and the 2.0. Lol

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Zero regrets. Not a fan of anything deisel.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Super Duper Sting Gray Rubicon Wrangler. 2003 Jeep Wrangler - Freedom Edition
Occupation
Explorer of Blue Horizons, Lover of Wild Things...

JlURT

First Name
WILLY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlURT18'
Go with the 3.6 if you won't touch the motor. For me I like to mod my cars and love 2.0T motors. I have a big turbo Evo and traded in a 2015 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2 for the JLURT. I've had two 3.6 JKs and test drove the 3.6/8-speed auto JL twice. This is a perfect fit inbetween for me. The 2.0T according to my buttdyno has way more get up and go power down low. Not to mention good tuners can normally get a extra 60-100 HP and TQ on a stage two tune (upgraded CAI, downpipe and exhaust). I see 20 MPGs city driving which is great. My 26 MPG highway DD gets 15 in the city, lol. Reliability is yet to be proven. We shall see.

Sponsored

Dewker

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLU Rubi
No regrets with the 3.6. Coming from a JK with a manual, switching to the 8 speed auto is night and day. Sure I miss the stick at time, but the 8speed auto is really fun to drive. I will be watching the evolution of the 2.0 for the future, but for right now I’m really impressed with the 3.6.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The 3.6 is a proven motor and mated to the 8 speed makes it a player. True off road guys are going to want a reliable motor with a bit of umph. The 3.6 does it.

I was looking hard at the 2.0. The turbo doesnt bother me, nor the lower peak HP. For off road the lower peak torque numbers vs the 3.6 makes it a bit better for off road. But for ME, that BSG and battery under the body with heating and cooling lines is a show stopper. It also weighs more then the 3.6 motor. Premium gas too? No, not for me. Plus how long does that battery last? What are the replacement costs? Tubo's arent that expensive but they do go out too.

I dont use my jeep as a daily driver so MPG isnt that much of a big deal. Although MPG gains are great but at what cost? And how significant are those gains with the 2.0? Hearing not that much. And the Motor differences arent stark enough for the negs that go with it. Remove BSG and I probably get closer to thinking otherwise. dunno.

with the 19's coming out and having both motor types with BSG and am super glad I went 18.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The bottom line is that it'll be interesting to visit this thread 5 years from now and see if people are still in love with the 2.0L turbo when the odometer is starting to rack up miles.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
The bottom line is that it'll be interesting to visit this thread 5 years from now and see if people are still in love with the 2.0L turbo when the odometer is starting to rack up miles.
yup, but I honestly hope I'm wrong. We all want better, I'm just skeptical right now.

ERIXJLUR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Crystal Rubicon 2.0L (ordered on 2/12 received on 9/26)
Here is what I will say about the 2.0L

Driving up a very steep paved road about a mile long, I wished for more power. The grade was something I wouldn't have noticed in my Ram. In the JL at 30MPH I couldnt find a sweet spot. I either had to slow down OR the RPMs were way up there. I could have probably tried to put in manual mode and upshifted a gear (will try next time).

Off road it wont matter much because of the transfer case.

Also keep in mind that I am used to Hemis w/ 8 spd autos (SRT and Ram)

Sponsored

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The 3.6 is a proven motor and mated to the 8 speed makes it a player. True off road guys are going to want a reliable motor with a bit of umph. The 3.6 does it.

I was looking hard at the 2.0. The turbo doesnt bother me, nor the lower peak HP. For off road the lower peak torque numbers vs the 3.6 makes it a bit better for off road. But for ME, that BSG and battery under the body with heating and cooling lines is a show stopper. It also weighs more then the 3.6 motor. Premium gas too? No, not for me. Plus how long does that battery last? What are the replacement costs? Tubo's arent that expensive but they do go out too.

I dont use my jeep as a daily driver so MPG isnt that much of a big deal. Although MPG gains are great but at what cost? And how significant are those gains with the 2.0? Hearing not that much. And the Motor differences arent stark enough for the negs that go with it. Remove BSG and I probably get closer to thinking otherwise. dunno.

with the 19's coming out and having both motor types with BSG and am super glad I went 18.
It will be interesting to see if enthusiast gravitate towards the 18s due to having less mechanical elements like the BSG.

SilverSahara

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I lost all interest in the 2.0L when I read it bills itself as a "mild-hybrid". Gross. Now they're that much closer to making a 100% electric jeep, which I read is coming in 2020. Complete abomination, un-natural and should never exist. Goes against everything a Jeep stands for. I mean really, who in the world would sit down and say "I'm gonna take something bad ass like a Jeep Wrangler and mix it with a prius" Answer: a 20-30 year old, vaping d-bag with a stupid hat and mustache sporting an Alice in Wonderland tattoo on their neck wearing a "vintage" shirt from the 90's who's so offended and/or "triggered" by the evil, "earth killing climate change causing" sounds of a combustion engine they almost spill their artisan soy latte. Puke.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I lost all interest in the 2.0L when I read it bills itself as a "mild-hybrid". Gross. Now they're that much closer to making a 100% electric jeep, which I read is coming in 2020. Complete abomination, un-natural and should never exist. Goes against everything a Jeep stands for. I mean really, who in the world would sit down and say "I'm gonna take something bad ass like a Jeep Wrangler and mix it with a prius" Answer: a 20-30 year old, vaping d-bag with a stupid hat and mustache sporting an Alice in Wonderland tattoo on their neck wearing a "vintage" shirt from the 90's who's so offended and/or "triggered" by the evil, "earth killing climate change causing" sounds of a combustion engine they almost spill their artisan soy latte. Puke.
You sure seem a little....

giphy.gif

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Ha. Don’t ever race a Tesla P100D while behind the wheel of any sports car with gnarly sounding V8 or V12 combustion engine. You’ll loose. #science #technology #facts
I hear you. But I drove a Tesla and speed without sound is like a silent fart. It was disappointing even though it was fast. But we will get there for sure.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
No regrets
Same...no regrets on the auto tranny 3.6L.

Sometimes Lil' Hulk wants to stay in gears for a longer time to get the full benefits of that V6 when I don't want it to. So, in that case, I just switch it to the auto-stick and shift up so it can stop eating my fuel lollL!
Sponsored