First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
As a warning to others that may experience this, I am going on week FIVE of my Jeep being at the dealer waiting for some elusive part that is on back order.

Think I may buy whatever parts and just keep them for the inevitable next time.

They have loaned me a Grand Cherokee but really just want my Jeep back!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
As a warning to others that may experience this, I am going on week FIVE of my Jeep being at the dealer waiting for some elusive part that is on back order.

Think I may buy whatever parts and just keep them for the inevitable next time.

They have loaned me a Grand Cherokee but really just want my Jeep back!
@tkelly11

I post often... maybe to much, encouraging guy/gals to buy and have/keep on hand, seat return inserts for both driver's side and passenger side.. Why, cause they are hard for the dealership to get often. The inserts cost little..($4.50- each) You might want to buy some as for sure, there is a good chance yours will die again....

Read here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drivers-seat-stuck-folded-forward.39104/post-1384690

I also spew often, that the correct for your JL, Mopar Z Case Fuse Array should be kept on hand for the same reason.

Mrsinister

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
@tkelly11

I post often... maybe to much, encouraging guy/gals to buy and have/keep on hand, seat return inserts for both driver's side and passenger side.. Why, cause they are hard for the dealership to get often. The inserts cost little..($4.50- each) You might want to buy some as for sure, there is a good chance yours will die again....

Read here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/drivers-seat-stuck-folded-forward.39104/post-1384690

I also spew often, that the correct for your JL, Mopar Z Case Fuse Array should be kept on hand for the same reason.
Yep. Order just placed for 2 each. Dealer is being spotty again.

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
@tkelly11

Thanks man, yeah definitely going to order these. Only thing that makes me suspicious is they said one of the parts came in but they then "found an issue with the rail itself" and apparently waiting for that part, whatever that is.

On the plus side, I am quite excited to get it back its *almost* like getting a new Jeep!

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Just received the driver and passenger replacement parts in the mail. Took two seconds to install each one. Lets start the timer and see how long they last this time.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received the driver and passenger replacement parts in the mail. Took two seconds to install each one. Lets start the timer and see how long they last this time.
@MidTNJeep

For months I have been posting it is wise to have spare, seat return inserts... posted the part numbers and where to buy...

To be honest, I have spares but really know little in regard to how to install. Geeeez, wish you had taken pics or a video in regard to placing/installing the seat return inserts..

Any chance you can talk us through what the placement / install involved, etc.. Thanks!

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
@MidTNJeep

For months I have been posting it is wise to have spare, seat return inserts... posted the part numbers and where to buy...

To be honest, I have spares but really know little in regard to how to install. Geeeez, wish you had taken pics or a video in regard to placing/installing the seat return inserts..

Any chance you can talk us through what the placement / install involved, etc.. Thanks!
This help?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...into-position-june-20-2019.34614/#post-783728

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JayJay

Nah, no help... I have posted that a bunch of times.. It does not show where you insert them... at least show in a way it makes sense... When you go look at the rail, it is hard to determine where would place... IF, you look at a non broken seat the inserts are way way up in there where you cannot get to them...

So, if they break.... I'm clueless where to place them... at the very end of the rail ...toward the rear of the rail or what. Hmmmm.

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
@Rhinebeck01 See photos below, hope this helps you install the pieces. It really is quite simple. This is the passenger side, rail closest to the door for reference. The first photo shows where I installed mine and the orientation of the piece once installed. Arrow points towards the front of the jeep. This is the exact spot I clicked mine in. In the second photo you will again see the orientation of the piece and more importantly, the rail on which the piece slides. The third picture is if you were standing in the footwell, looking down the rail, you can see the lip on the bottom of the piece that needs to wrap under the rail. (note this piece I am holding is the original that came with the Jeep, the spring broke but not the plastic, so I have been using it without the spring and metal tooth) The fourth picture is another angle of the piece showing how you have the lip on one side and a couple plastic spring arms on the other. To install, I slightly angled the piece to get that lip under the rail and then applied slight pressure downwards and it clicked right in. Once installed, when you move the seat fully back and then fully forwards it will catch this piece and it does disappear up under the seat in the rail. Which explains why most people have issues when this piece breaks. If you are unware that it exists, you don't realize it has shattered inside the seat rail and has jammed up the seat. When this happened to me, I was able to feel under the rails and used a small screwdriver to jostle the broken pieces loose. This at least allowed me to slide the seat all the way back, but you need something else in the rail, i.e. a replacement piece or the 3" 3/8" socket extension to release the seat back to a reclined position. Hope this helps!
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back 1
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back 3
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back 4

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 See photos below, hope this helps you install the pieces. It really is quite simple. This is the passenger side, rail closest to the door for reference. The first photo shows where I installed mine and the orientation of the piece once installed. Arrow points towards the front of the jeep. This is the exact spot I clicked mine in. In the second photo you will again see the orientation of the piece and more importantly, the rail on which the piece slides. The third picture is if you were standing in the footwell, looking down the rail, you can see the lip on the bottom of the piece that needs to wrap under the rail. (note this piece I am holding is the original that came with the Jeep, the spring broke but not the plastic, so I have been using it without the spring and metal tooth) The fourth picture is another angle of the piece showing how you have the lip on one side and a couple plastic spring arms on the other. To install, I slightly angled the piece to get that lip under the rail and then applied slight pressure downwards and it clicked right in. Once installed, when you move the seat fully back and then fully forwards it will catch this piece and it does disappear up under the seat in the rail. Which explains why most people have issues when this piece breaks. If you are unware that it exists, you don't realize it has shattered inside the seat rail and has jammed up the seat. When this happened to me, I was able to feel under the rails and used a small screwdriver to jostle the broken pieces loose. This at least allowed me to slide the seat all the way back, but you need something else in the rail, i.e. a replacement piece or the 3" 3/8" socket extension to release the seat back to a reclined position. Hope this helps!
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
@MidTNJeep

Geeeez, thanks much for taking the time to provide this .. the info, the pics..

My inserts have not broken but I purchased 2 driver's side and 2 passenger side seat return inserts just in case..... I know the inserts can be in a backorder situation so...

Anyway, when I got the seat return inserts, I took them out of the packages and took to my JL to have a looksee... To see just how I would do/install if necessary.

With lots of feeling around and a good light, I located the healthy seat return inserts way up under the seat.... so far up you could not deal with them lets say.

After surveying all, I finally concluded that the seat return inserts, if needed would need to be placed at the end of the rail and when you then moved the seat they would be dragged up in there so to speak... and find a home/resting place way up under there just like I saw where the healthy ones now are..

So, from what you say I was correct on this... after you place them as in your pic, they get dragged into place when you first move the seat, after placing them.

THANK YOU very much
for confirming all for me.. Hopefully, I will never need to use the seat return inserts.... but if I do I have them...

I have bookmarked this post.... :like:

Sponsored

Mr. Crawly

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 door sport
I bought the first JL 2-door Sport that was available on the dealer lot in 2018. I have a black lab that goes with me everywhere & I normally flip the shoulder release to let him jump in the back. Yesterday, the shoulder flip lever just picked up easily with no tension whatsoever, not allowing the seat back to come forward then the seat base to come forward on the track. Upon further inspection, the little wire cable is loose.
I tried to see what the problem was at the track but I cannot figure it out.
I hope the dealership helps, the last time I took it to the dealership for a undercarriage noise issue, they told me to kick rocks because the dealership didn’t install the lift or use Mopar parts.
we will see...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I bought the first JL 2-door Sport that was available on the dealer lot in 2018. I have a black lab that goes with me everywhere & I normally flip the shoulder release to let him jump in the back. Yesterday, the shoulder flip lever just picked up easily with no tension whatsoever, not allowing the seat back to come forward then the seat base to come forward on the track. Upon further inspection, the little wire cable is loose.
I tried to see what the problem was at the track but I cannot figure it out.
I hope the dealership helps, the last time I took it to the dealership for a undercarriage noise issue, they told me to kick rocks because the dealership didn’t install the lift or use Mopar parts.
we will see...
@Mr. Crawly

There are forum posts that talk of of an issue with that flap release...

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/broken-seat-latch.46978/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-release-handles-dont-yank-em-too-hard.10640/

Could be either the cable at the latch has just unhooked or the plastic flap itself has broken.

IF it is just the cable unhooked, guys re-hooked the cable and then used some flexible adhesive to secure the cable in it's hook so it no longer comes loose..

In 2018, I had the very first JL ... a 2 dr., in my locale also... as first one received by the dealeras I had ordered it. For a month or more my JL was like a celebrity of sorts.. Now, there are a plenty in my locale.

Mr. Crawly

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler 2 door sport
@Mr. Crawly

There are forum posts that talk of of an issue with that flap release...

Read here:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/broken-seat-latch.46978/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-release-handles-dont-yank-em-too-hard.10640/

Could be either the cable at the latch has just unhooked or the plastic flap itself has broken.

IF it is just the cable unhooked, guys re-hooked the cable and then used some flexible adhesive to secure the cable in it's hook so it no longer comes loose..

In 2018, I had the very first JL ... a 2 dr., in my locale also... as first one received by the dealeras I had ordered it. For a month or more my JL was like a celebrity of sorts.. Now, there are a plenty in my locale.
Thank you for the info👍🏼

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Another one broke for me on the driver's side. It's annoying that such little plastic piece could leave you stranded.