Drivers side seat won’t fold back

Mrsinister

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Update: got my seat fixed. They finally stopped claiming they need to replace the wire and to just replace the seat guide doohickey... It worked for four days. FOUR DAYS.

Now it's broken again.

Out on the trail today, let my daughter out of the back seat and *clang* the rail guide shattered again. Luckily I kept the socket in the car just in case. Back to the dealer it goes.
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
update:

My seats got fixed yesterday. Working as originally intended. I received a call yesterday from JeepCares and immediately my seats got fixed today!.

Thanks @JeepCares team for the support. It was a long journey but I finally got my seats working as intended.

Glendale Dodge Chrysler Jeep at Glendale, California were able to solve the issue. So if you live in the L.A. area and you go through this problem I highly suggest you go to Glendale.
Happy to hear this, entropy! We're just a private message away if you need any future assistance.

Kate
JeepCares

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update: got my seat fixed. They finally stopped claiming they need to replace the wire and to just replace the seat guide doohickey... It worked for four days. FOUR DAYS.

Now it's broken again.

Out on the trail today, let my daughter out of the back seat and *clang* the rail guide shattered again. Luckily I kept the socket in the car just in case. Back to the dealer it goes.
If you need any assistance while working with your dealer, Mrsinister, let us know. Just send a private message to get started.

Kate
JeepCares

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Wow, yeah so the seat thing happened to me as well. Yesterday was getting something out the back and then the seat just wouldn't go back in place/fold back. Found the broken little plastic pieces. Then had to remove the headrest and shoehorn myself into the seat and drive the 10 mins back to my house! Can say it was wildly uncomfortable, particularly as the seat wasn't locked so anytime you braked, you had to brace yourself to be shunted into the steering wheel.

Decided it wasn't safe to try and drive it like that the 30 mins to the dealership so had them pick it up.

Will see how long it takes to sort out!

IMG_8849.jpg

IMG_8840.jpg

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
There really needs to be a class action about this defect by now. All FCA had to do was replace the piece that's failing for everyone with better quality plastic/resin or even metal. This is literally rendering Jeeps undriveable. I'd hate to be out in the middle of the desert or in sub-zero wilderness when this cheap piece of plastic shatters. Ever since Fiat bought Jeep/Chrysler, the overzealous cost cutting measures made our Jeeps about as reliable as Italian cars.

Sponsored

Mrsinister

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4
Yep. Dealership wanted me to come in again and drop it off for an assessment (last time was an all day affair). Just to replace the same plastic piece. Moving forward just keeping a socket in the car and will take it in before warranty ends I guess or until class action happens.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yep. Dealership wanted me to come in again and drop it off for an assessment (last time was an all day affair). Just to replace the same plastic piece. Moving forward just keeping a socket in the car and will take it in before warranty ends I guess or until class action happens.
The Seat Position Return Insert - Mopar (68485519AA) to repair the driver's seat costs $4.95.
The Seat Position Return Insert - Mopar (68485522AA) for the passenger seat costs $4.95.

For some reason dealership parts dept. usually, have trouble getting these as they are often backordered. You can wait 2+ weeks and more for these parts to come in.

I purchased 2 each of these and keep them in the JL, just in case. They are in a pouch with a High Amp Fuse Array that I have just in case... 8-)

IF, I never use them and when I self my JL someday, I will resell these parts to someone. Having the parts gives me the piece of mind that I have the parts just in case.....

Also, I have the 3/8" x 3" extension in the JL.. 8-)

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Wow, yeah so the seat thing happened to me as well. Yesterday was getting something out the back and then the seat just wouldn't go back in place/fold back. Found the broken little plastic pieces. Then had to remove the headrest and shoehorn myself into the seat and drive the 10 mins back to my house! Can say it was wildly uncomfortable, particularly as the seat wasn't locked so anytime you braked, you had to brace yourself to be shunted into the steering wheel.

Decided it wasn't safe to try and drive it like that the 30 mins to the dealership so had them pick it up.

Will see how long it takes to sort out!

Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back IMG_8840

Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back IMG_8840
Sorry to hear this, tkelly11! Please let us know how the dealer visit goes and if you need further assistance, send us a private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
How is this still an issue? Why hasn't Jeep simply released a new version of the part made out of metal instead of plastic, like they should have done in the first place.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can someone 3D print this out of better material , metal ?
Both have moving parts... no way are these just a piece of .... that be can be 3D printed.

The Seat Position Return Insert - Mopar (68485519AA) to repair the driver's seat costs $4.95.
The Seat Position Return Insert - Mopar (68485522AA) for the passenger seat costs $4.95.

richsteele

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 OB JLR

For some reason dealership parts dept. usually, have trouble getting these as they are often backordered. You can wait 2+ weeks and more for these parts to come in.

I purchased 2 each of these and keep them in the JL, just in case. They are in a pouch with a High Amp Fuse Array that I have just in case... 8-)

IF, I never use them and when I self my JL someday, I will resell these parts to someone. Having the parts gives me the piece of mind that I have the parts just in case.....

Also, I have the 3/8" x 3" extension in the JL.. 8-)

Just ordered these as a safety net also. Thanks for posting the part numbers.

What do you use the 3/8" x 3" extension for?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just ordered these as a safety net also. Thanks for posting the part numbers.

What do you use the 3/8" x 3" extension for?
@richsteele
Well, depending on where the little broken seat position return insert ends up at, JL owner's have reported placing a 3/8" x3 extension in the track will enable the seat back to return to back position, so you can drive the JL home, etc.. See pic for placement...

Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back 2D1D0C7B-3EAC-43C2-8D2D-0FAF5983241D

richsteele

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 OB JLR
@richsteele
Well, depending on where the little broken seat position return insert ends up at, JL owner's have reported placing a 3/8" x3 extension in the track will enable the seat back to return to back position, so you can drive the JL home, etc.. See pic for placement...

Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back 2D1D0C7B-3EAC-43C2-8D2D-0FAF5983241D

Thanks!

MidTNJeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport
Well, my experiment using just the black plastic piece (after removing the metal piece and spring) has failed. Even with the plastic sitting at the end of the track to release the seat back to the reclined position, the plastic has broken in two. Can we get a serious solution to this please? Stop acting like it’s the seat rails or trying to give us the same cheap plastic piece that will only break again. No other vehicle has this problem, figure it out!
Sponsored