Sponsored

Drivers side seat won’t fold back

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
JeepCares,
I have owned my 2020 2 door JL for two months. About 950 miles, although the first 300 or so were pre-existing and part of getting a trade from a dealer that had three-pedal Wranglers. Can you assist in getting resolution on a detached seat release cable on front passenger seat? Stays leaned forward.
Hi @linux_guy
Our team certainly recommends bringing this to the attention of your dealer. If you would like our additional support in this repair process, feel free to send us a private message with you VIN. We'd be happy to help!

Kathryn
JeepCares
Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
How is this not a recall yet?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ConqSoft

That TSB is in regard to only one, of I believe it is 3, different possible issues / causes of seat issues in relation to either the driver's or front passenger seats.

You can have a cable related issue or a plastic seat return issue (like in the TSB you linked to) or you can have an issue where the plastic seat latch breaks.. Of course, there could be some other issue that pops up but those mentioned are the ones being reported here and on other JL related forums.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
I think a dealer who needs a vehicle two separate days for a .2 hour fix is not being realistic based on this:
Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back Capture+_2020-08-04-07-37-39

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think a dealer who needs a vehicle two separate days for a .2 hour fix is not being realistic based on this:
Capture+_2020-08-04-07-37-39.png
@linux_guy

To much drama in regard to this, whole get your passenger side seat fixed. This repair is easily completed, completed under warranty and actually on the scale of things simple and not an issue to have angst over.. to dwell on.... to make into a big friggin deal about, so to speak.

Seems like this is more of an issue with you and not the JL. What are you going to do if/when your JL, actually has an issue, worth having angst over...

Very simple to make a dealership appt and get the process done. You want to drag it out, complain about the process and rattle the cage when there is no need to do that.

Seems you don't feel you need to put any energy, time, etc. into remedying the issue.

You do find energy to find fault and complain and thus far, I see no reason for you to be rattling the cage with FCA, etc.. You seem to take joy / want to fight the process so to speak..

Anyway,

Dealer needs to have tech evaluate and record the problem which is done on visit one.

Dealer now orders the necessary part(s) and they call you back for visit two and the part is used to fix the JL.

At completion the tech again, documents and you are on your way.

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@linux_guy

To much drama in regard to this, whole get your passenger side seat fixed. This repair is easily completed, completed under warranty and actually on the scale of things simple and not an issue to have angst over.. to dwell on.... to make into a big friggin deal about, so to speak.

Seems like this is more of an issue with you and not the JL. What are you going to do if/when your JL, actually has an issue, worth having angst over...

Very simple to make a dealership appt and get the process done. You want to drag it out, complain about the process and rattle the cage when there is no need to do that.

Seems you don't feel you need to put any energy, time, etc. into remedying the issue.

You do find energy to find fault and complain and thus far, I see no reason for you to be rattling the cage with FCA, etc.. You seem to take joy / want to fight the process so to speak..

Anyway,

Dealer needs to have tech evaluate and record the problem which is done on visit one.

Dealer now orders the necessary part(s) and they call you back for visit two and the part is used to fix the JL.

At completion the tech again, documents and you are on your way.
I suppose I envisioned the dealers as being aware of the issue and having something for each scenario on hand. Especially if the same questionable parts from the same engineering solution get used. Having the vehicle for two months, I am just wondering if I will be committing two days every two months (extrapolating from my two months and 600 miles of ownership). Seeing 0.2 hours of labor for one of the possible fixes leads me to believe a dealer could lean forward and be prepared for the three scenarios with a fix the same day. And have one visit from the customer vs two. I have spoken to my dealer and am going in one morning hoping I can perform my job well enough from the waiting area. Time is money.

I do appreciate the directions and advice. I suppose my expectation of being in front of a problem vs. waiting for a customer to notice, contact, visit, go home, visit again differs from the reality. I don't see that as dramatic. These are known problems with known solutions. Could be handled proactively vs reactively.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@linux_guy

I'm not pro stealerships.... but...

You have to keep in mind the dealer sells many many many different vehicles and different model years of same.... Jeeps, Mopar, Ram trucks, etc.. No way it would be feasible for them to keep parts that would cover every known / possible issue on any and all of the vehicles that come and go at their dealership.

Dealer does have a way to get the parts overnight usually, (or in 2 days) by working with an FCA parts distribution place(s).

Sure, it is possible a dealership parts dept. has the part your vehicle needs on hand but this is often not the case...

Parts departments when they order, a part, say a plastic seat return/rt. side, get the part sourced to them from the regional distribution center, in say a bag of 6 or 10, etc. sometimes. When this happens the parts dept ends up with a part on the shelf sometimes, when normally they do not stock that particular part.

Glad you are moving forward. That repair will completed...

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great news. My dealership determined that the seat couldn't slide back any more and would not tilt to previous (useable position for front seat occupant) position until/ unless the back seat was flipped down to useable seating position.

Having a Clark Griswold moment here: ""If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now." The good kind of surprised in this case. Hats off to Stivers of Prattville AL and the engineers who gave access to so much with two relatively smallish doors.

I am eating my words.

Seems two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Physics for the win (honk if you passed thermodynamics).

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great news. My dealership determined that the seat couldn't slide back any more and would not tilt to previous (useable position for front seat occupant) position until/ unless the back seat was flipped down to useable seating position.

Having a Clark Griswold moment here: ""If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now." The good kind of surprised in this case. Hats off to Stivers of Prattville AL and the engineers who gave access to so much with two relatively smallish doors.

I am eating my words.

Seems two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. Physics for the win (honk if you passed thermodynamics).
Huh....................

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put my pitchfork and torch back in the attic.
So, the gist is you had issues because you did not understand how the seat was to lets say behave... and that you thought it was broke but it was not...

Just askin...

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, the gist is you had issues because you did not understand how the seat was to lets say behave... and that you thought it was broke but it was not...

Just askin...
Afraid that's the case.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Afraid that's the case.
Well, thanks for letting us know.. Believe it or not, I was concerned about your issue and tried to give you some direction, etc..

In thanks for coming here and closing your story, lets say, do click HERE, to download, the full 2020 Wrangler Owner's Manual in pdf form. I encourage to keep a copy of it on your smart phone..
Ahhhhh, please don't reply and tell me you are still using a clam shell phone.. :LOL:

By the way, I have had many a Jeep... even so, the seat control mechanisms on the JL, even perplex me some times.

I have had my JL, about 2.5 years/37,000 miles and I still gingerly, move /adjust my seats.. in fear of breaking a latch... getting it in a position I cannot get to out of... 8-)

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Well, thanks for letting us know.. Believe it or not, I was concerned about your issue and tried to give you some direction, etc..

In thanks for coming here and closing your story, lets say, do click HERE, to download, the full 2020 Wrangler Owner's Manual in pdf form. I encourage to keep a copy of it on your smart phone..
Ahhhhh, please don't reply and tell me you are still using a clam shell phone.. :LOL:

By the way, I have had many a Jeep... even so, the seat control mechanisms on the JL, even perplex me some times.

I have had my JL, about 2.5 years/37,000 miles and I still gingerly, move /adjust my seats.. in fear of breaking a latch... getting it in a position I cannot get to out of... 8-)
yeah. I also live in constant fear.
Sponsored