Drivers side seat won’t fold back

LoganSA777

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL rubicon 2 door
Unfortunately my passenger seat has failed twice and neither time was because of the plastic rail piece. Both times the seat required a full cable and rail replacement. The second time I could see the metal cabling folding over itself and becoming damaged and no matter what I did both occurences, nothing placed in the rail would cause the seat to recline back. The clip piece wasn’t damaged either.

I’ve just resorted to not having the seat folding functionality at all to avoid another
Thanks for tagging me here, entropy.

Hi, jgarcia98. Sounds like you are already in touch with the proper internal teams regarding your concerns. If you should run into any issues and not hear from your agent or have any questions regarding the case, please feel free to contact us in private message.

Kate
Jeep Cares

Hi, jeep cares. Three week old 2021 jl 2 door and driver side seat won't fold back. I've called all my near by dealerships and all are backed up and keep telling me they have no loaners. This is my only vehicle, can't afford to take it in and be without a vehicle. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@LoganSA777

Call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146.

The rep that answers will open a case and work with you... Don't bother going back and forth with JeepCares through private messaging on this forum.

Make the call... be polite and ask for assist.

LoganSA777

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL rubicon 2 door
T
@LoganSA777

Call Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146.

The rep that answers will open a case and work with you... Don't bother going back and forth with JeepCares through private messaging on this forum.

Make the call... be polite and ask for assist.
Thank you for the number, will definitely call.

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
I would say, just fix it yourself in 30 seconds… since my 18yo daughter was able to fix it herself with my remote guidance from this forum :)

you can do it yourself, just need one trip to Home Depot to get yourself 3/8 3” adapter for 3$ and that’s about it

T

Thank you for the number, will definitely call.
[/QUO
E9AD4F4D-A22D-4C60-865D-F4B7DD790AC2.jpeg

LoganSA777

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL rubicon 2 door
I would say, just fix it yourself in 30 seconds… since my 18yo daughter was able to fix it herself with my remote guidance from this forum :)

you can do it yourself, just need one trip to Home Depot to get yourself 3/8 3” adapter for 3$ and that’s about it

E9AD4F4D-A22D-4C60-865D-F4B7DD790AC2.jpeg
That's the first thing I did. Didn't do the trick for me. From what I read it may be the

Jeep Wrangler JL Drivers side seat won’t fold back E9AD4F4D-A22D-4C60-865D-F4B7DD790AC2
That's the first thing I tried and that's not working. Read several comments in the forum trying to find a fix. Unfortunately I'm in the minority where this did not work.

Sponsored

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
I just dropped my daughter in college 1000 miles away from home, waiting for my plane back home after she dropped me in airport and 40 minutes later she texting with this exact issue. We just fixed it 2hrs ago, and she was able to unlock it from 3rd try, make sure all broken plastic pieces removed from your rail.

That's the first thing I did. Didn't do the trick for me. From what I read it may be the

That's the first thing I tried and that's not working. Read several comments in the forum trying to find a fix. Unfortunately I'm in the minority where this did not work.

LoganSA777

First Name
Armando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL rubicon 2 door

Update:
Continued to mess with the seat and luckily it fixed itself. I pushed the back rest all the way back and slowly moved it forward pulling on the lever. It ended up getting back on track and synching up. I check the plastic retainer that tends to break multiple times and looked fine. Just glad it's working now and no more issues.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LoganSA777

Do consider buying a couple each of the "seat return inserts for both the driver's side and passenger side. Thy are only a couple of $ each..

Cheap insurance for your 2 dr.so to speak... Often dealer's can take days or a couple of weeks or more to get the seat return inserts..

I keep inserts and a ratchet extension in my 2dr. at all times..

Seat return insert for driver's seat Part # 68485519AA
Seat return insert for the pass seat Part #68485522AA

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
We were able to fix this issue with our Madison, WI Don Miller Jeep dealer in 2 days.

@LoganSA777

Do consider buying a couple each of the "seat return inserts for both the driver's side and passenger side. Thy are only a couple of $ each..

Cheap insurance for your 2 dr.so to speak... Often dealer's can take days or a couple of weeks or more to get the seat return inserts..

I keep inserts and a ratchet extension in my 2dr. at all times..

Seat return insert for driver's seat Part # 68485519AA
Seat return insert for the pass seat Part #68485522AA

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
For anyone in Los Angeles county. The Jeep dealer at Glendale can fix these well and quickly. They got lots of experienced from my seats. Both were completely destroyed lol.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We were able to fix this issue with our Madison, WI Don Miller Jeep dealer in 2 days.
@mikebost
@others

2 days.... funny........ what if you were in the hills or traveling across the USA or only have 1 vehicle, etc....... I know I would not want to be stranded... unable to drive my JL for the lack of a $2.00 seat return insert....

Best to carry seat return inserts and a High Amp Fuse array ...

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
Husky 3/8 in. Drive 3 in. Extension Bar 3.47$ and available in most stores around and my 18yo daughter was able to unlock it herself in less than 2 minutes :)

@mikebost
@others

2 days.... funny........ what if you were in the hills or traveling across the USA or...... I know I would not want to be stranded... unable to drive my JL for a lack of a $2.00 seat return insert....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Husky 3/8 in. Drive 3 in. Extension Bar 3.47$ and available in most stores around and my 18yo daughter was able to unlock it herself in less than 2 minutes :)
@mikebost

Your seat insert must have fell clear of the rail and thus the extension worked without further action... great!

Yes, I carry the 3" extension and have done so in my JL for 3 yrs....

Some have reported here over the last 3 years, that the extension would not do the deed whereas a new seat insert did..

I carry both the inserts and the 3" extension.... and a High Amp Fuse Array. I also have a spare oil filter housing cap.

mikebost

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
x5, x6, JLR
Yes we were very lucky and basically had a 1000 mile trip simply 24 hrs before this happened, And if you don’t see broken plastic somewhere around your seat rails this 3” will not work, basically at this point your insert is not broken 100% and might simply work with some wiggle and worst case you have to use this extension or something bigger to remove it from this rail completely before doing 3” trick

Out JLR is definitely not even close in terms of quality compared to our x5 that I love for everyday driving and I never had this type of issues, last problem that I Remeber… not able to use heating function on my elbow storage compartment :) … but again every time I’m inside and driving our JLR especially when it’s topless and without doors I feel very special ( which is never the case with our x5)

@mikebost

Your seat insert must have fell clear of the rail and thus the extension worked without further action... great!

Yes, I carry the 3" extension and have done so in my JL for 3 yrs....

Some have reported here over the last 3 years, that the extension would not do the deed whereas a new seat insert did..

I carry both the inserts and the 3" extension.... and a High Amp Fuse Array. I also have a spare oil filter housing cap.

SF Pacer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door JL Sport S
Hey all. 2 door JL, 2 months out of warranty with only 22,000 miles. My daughter drove the Jeep yesterday and after putting someone in the back, was unable to get the passenger seat to lock in place and get the seatback to the regular upright position. I can confirm the the issue is not the broken plastic and metal piece most have posted about. After some fidgeting I was able to move the seat memory piece to the back of the track. The seat will now lock in the back position but still will not recline to the upright position. I have tried pulling the recline strap, adjust the seat from the bar underneath the fron, etc. Nothing has seemed to work. Anyone else had this happen?
Sponsored