Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I think you can order the revised clips as they're like $14 to have on deck if you want to return it to normal operation without scheduling a dealer visit. I'm not quite sure what they revised but the TSB for those clips states a new part was made.

As for mine, it turned out the clip thing wasn't even the issue. Issue on my sheet was "seat rail components binding up internally". They ended up having to order a new seat track system and all the cabling. Had to gut the seat at the dealer's upholstry shop vendor and re-skin it with the new components inside. I am now officially afraid to ever pull the rear access lever on my driver's side, lol.
can you believe it. I am on the same boat again.... My jeep is in Glendale this time. How well is yours working?
Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
can you believe it. I am on the same boat again.... My jeep is in Glendale this time. How well is yours working?
Damn! Is it the thing on the track again or does that appear normal this time? Mine has been okay but admittedly I've avoided using the reclining latch like the plague. Haven't had any backseat passengers so anytime I need to access gear back there I'll pull the strap on my driver's side for tilt and manually slide it forward.

Awful that fear of breakage has done this but if the passenger seat did it I see no reason why the driver side wouldn't suddenly end up like this either.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Damn! Is it the thing on the track again or does that appear normal this time? Mine has been okay but admittedly I've avoided using the reclining latch like the plague. Haven't had any backseat passengers so anytime I need to access gear back there I'll pull the strap on my driver's side for tilt and manually slide it forward.

Awful that fear of breakage has done this but if the passenger seat did it I see no reason why the driver side wouldn't suddenly end up like this either.
Oh it will. lol. At least it did on my Jeep, both seats eventually broke. That's actually smart, use it as little as possible, until Jeep fixes this for good. I have no idea what is wrong with my seat this time, I know it is related since I found the little piece of metal stuck in the tracks, but I am not entirely sure since Cerritos did some sorcery on the seats in an intend to fix it for good. I just asked them to get them back to the way they should be from factory, after all I bought these Jeep new and it is under warranty so they gotta fix it. We will see how it goes. Funny thing is that the tech in Glendale told me they haven't seen that issue before.... lol and you just took it there.... They were also weren't very happy to work on it, and when I called the other day they wanted me to take it back to cerritos and claimed it might not be covered by warranty???? freaking jeep has 10k miles on it and it is only a year old so it better be covered.

I think they don't make good profits when working on warranty issues, it is a really bad system FCA has set up with the dealers, hurts us customers. I am not picking my Jeep till they know whats wrong with it and order the parts, then I am not picking it up until it works how it is supposed to. They gotta fix it.

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Oh it will. lol. At least it did on my Jeep, both seats eventually broke. That's actually smart, use it as little as possible, until Jeep fixes this for good. I have no idea what is wrong with my seat this time, I know it is related since I found the little piece of metal stuck in the tracks, but I am not entirely sure since Cerritos did some sorcery on the seats in an intend to fix it for good. I just asked them to get them back to the way they should be from factory, after all I bought these Jeep new and it is under warranty so they gotta fix it. We will see how it goes. Funny thing is that the tech in Glendale told me they haven't seen that issue before.... lol and you just took it there.... They were also weren't very happy to work on it, and when I called the other day they wanted me to take it back to cerritos and claimed it might not be covered by warranty???? freaking jeep has 10k miles on it and it is only a year old so it better be covered. I think they don't make good profits when working on warranty issues, it is a really bad system FCA has set up with the dealers, hurts us customers.
At Glendale my service guy is Paul - they had me in two or three times for it so I would hope he'd remember haha. I wonder if they saw what Cerritos did and are groaning because it's not how the book says it should be. After desperately gutting half the seat myself last time it's complicated as hell in there. Either way no reason at all this should be fully covered up to and including a new seat - I would think you'd have an open and shut case with FCA/jeepcares if you got the runaround. Keep us posted on how it goes!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
At Glendale my service guy is Paul - they had me in two or three times for it so I would hope he'd remember haha. I wonder if they saw what Cerritos did and are groaning because it's not how the book says it should be. After desperately gutting half the seat myself last time it's complicated as hell in there. Either way no reason at all this should be fully covered up to and including a new seat - I would think you'd have an open and shut case with FCA/jeepcares if you got the runaround. Keep us posted on how it goes!
Yeah I know. At this point, depending on what happens or what they say, I might ask for two brand new seats and frames. I recorded this issue the moment I bought the Jeep and it had to be towed, they haven't been able to repair it so technically I could lemon it. I don't think they'd like that. Rough one to pull I am sure, but it should push them in the direction of fixing the issue which should be fixable.

Sponsored

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon + 2014 JK Sport S
Finally got my Jeep back from the dealership. They wound up replacing the passenger's side. While the Jeep was in the shop, I had been going back and forth with FCA about also replacing the driver's side with the revised part to no avail thus far. Here's my exchange, to which I've yet to receive a final reply:

To:US Customer Care
Tue, Sep 29 at 12:22 PM

Dropped my JLR off to have the seat fixed. Looks like they only ordered the newer redesigned part for the broken passenger seat. I'd like them to also replace the driver's side. While it's working fine at the moment, it is guaranteed to fail sometime in the near future unless the redesigned part is installed. Can you assist me with getting the dealer to do that? Here's the TSB for this: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ld-and-lock-into-position-june-20-2019.34614/

--------------------------------

Sent: September 30, 2020 4:07 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Case# 76726629 [ ref:_00Dj01qsDF._5003Z16C5V6:ref ]

Hello Ruben

Unfortunately that TSB you provided me with is for model year 2019 JL Jeep Wranglers. Your vehicle is not included in that TSB however if in the future you experience concerns we could definitely look into assisting if the dealership deems it as being related to that concern. At this point since you are not experiencing concerns with the current part I am unable to authorize the dealership to do that repair

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to reach out to me, however if you have gotten you vehicle back the case would be closing at this time

Brianne | FCA Case Manager
1-844-827-2006 |

------------------------------------

Wed, Sep 30 at 4:14 PM

That's not the point. My Jeep has the same defective design for that part as the 2019 ones. You just haven't gotten enough complaints from 2018 owners yet for a full TSB. The driver's side seat is guaranteed to fail as well. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette every time I recline the driver's side seat. This is flat out dangerous for anyone who takes their Jeep far into the wilderness because it could be rendered undrivable.

--------------------------------------

Sent: September 30, 2020 4:28 PM

Hello Ruben

Unfortunately if the vehicle is not experiencing concerns currently I would be unable to authorize the dealership to repair a part that is currently not defective. If in the future you experience concerns with the vehicle we could review at that point

Thank You

1-844-827-2006 |

------------------------------------------

Wed, Sep 30 at 4:39 PM

It is defective by definition of it being the older part. It is guaranteed to fail sooner or later.

-------------------------------------------

Sent: October 2, 2020 2:28 PM

Good Afternoon Ruben

If in the future the part does fail, we have everything thoroughly documented on our end and if assistance is needed we will be here for you. However since there are no concerns currently we will need to close this case. I would like to provide you with my contact information should you have any questions or concerns in the future.

Your Case Number is: 76726629

The FCA Case Management Telephone Number is: 1-844-827-2006

My Direct Extension is: 3025508

---------------------------------------------

Fri, Oct 2 at 2:44 PM

Do I have your guarantee that the repair will be performed free of charge if the part fails outside of the warranty period?

----------------------------------------------

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020, 10:23:11 AM EDT, US Customer Care <[email protected]> wrote:

Good Morning Ruben,

I am unable to provide written guarantees in regards to concerns that happen outside of warranty as everything is done on a case by case basis when it comes to out of warranty concerns. However what I can tell you is I have everything documented in regards to the concerns you previously experienced and that would be taken in to consideration

Thank you,

1-844-827-2006 |

-------------------------------------------------

Wed, Oct 7 at 10:55 AM

Being "taken into consideration" doesn't mean much if I have to pay out of pocket. When the driver's side fails, the Jeep will be rendered undriveable, which is unacceptable for a $50k vehicle. In fact, since this is a well documented issue for many other owners, it's only a matter of time before there's a class action against FCA. Also, I'm sure the Lemon Law could be applied in most cases. Because the driver's side is the same faulty design as the original passenger's side, it is guaranteed to fail. The only reason it hadn't yet is because I've been making a point not to move the seat as often as the passenger's one. I should be able to move both seats as often as I want on a vehicle this expensive. While the TSB we've discussed earlier might not specifically list 2018 models, it clearly should. The same parts were used on both seats in 2018 as 2019 and both sides are supposed to be replaced per the TSB to prevent the Jeep from becoming undriveable. If I can't get the driver's side repaired preemptively nor can I get FCA to guarantee it will be replaced at no cost when out of warranty, I just might have to trade my Jeep in for a Bronco. I know Ford stands behind their products.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Just an update.

So this is the third time my Jeep is at the dealership for this issue. All different dealers, cause if one fails that's it for me.
1) First dealer (Monrovia) failed miserably, nothing got fixed and they broke my passenger seat. Which became apparent about a week after the service.
2) Second dealer (Cerritos), I thought got it fixed. But they didn't really, handed me back a mediocre fix that broke again last week.
3) Third dealer (Glendale): Everything was going smoothly until today. Jeep was supposed to be ready yesterday, but it got pushed to today, apparently a broken cable or something. They have been communicating everything and "honest" so far. Today I received a call that my Jeep seats were fixed, and I just couldn't believe it and asked them if seats worked the way they are supposed too, and they said yeap it is fixed. About half an hour later I get a message from the dealer: "After double checking the seats don't move forward from the quick release mechanism. We are gonna have to do more repairs". So I am officially back to the roller coaster. Apparently they don't know what's wrong and have to take the seats off the jeep again to inspect and it'll be ready maybe Monday...

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
What a shit show! I can't believe they would design a mechanism that gets used daily (in some cases) out of plastic!! Then be arrogant about fixing the turd when it breaks multiple times.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What a shit show! I can't believe they would design a mechanism that gets used daily (in some cases) out of plastic!! Then be arrogant about fixing the turd when it breaks multiple times.
The comical thing about it is that by design, the seat gets slammed back and forth on the track as passengers get in and out. Clearly, this should've been at least as heavy duty as the mechanism on my JK, or any previous model for that matter. This isn't a Fiat. It's a Jeep. People buy Jeeps because everything is supposed to be durable enough to go deep off grid without worrying about being stranded out of cell range.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
The comical thing about it is that by design, the seat gets slammed back and forth on the track as passengers get in and out. Clearly, this should've been at least as heavy duty as the mechanism on my JK, or any previous model for that matter. This isn't a Fiat. It's a Jeep. People buy Jeeps because everything is supposed to be durable enough to go deep off grid without worrying about being stranded out of cell range.
Exactly!!

Sponsored

Kk009

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door Willys
And I’m back. TSB followed, new plastic POS installed (I ordered 5 for both sides directly from Mopar and brought to dealership) no more than 8-10 uses of passenger seat and wham said POS shattered. If I didn’t have a backup would have had to leave someone behind, 2+ hours each way!! This is beyond absurd!!! Recall with reinforced all metal return is needed now!!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
And I’m back. TSB followed, new plastic POS installed (I ordered 5 for both sides directly from Mopar and brought to dealership) no more than 8-10 uses of passenger seat and wham said POS shattered. If I didn’t have a backup would have had to leave someone behind, 2+ hours each way!! This is beyond absurd!!! Recall with reinforced all metal return is needed now!!
Yeah man it blows. these seats are terrible and they don't seem to care. I am going to carry bunch of extra parts with me as well. So pathetic.

Everything inside this f@!cking thing breaks. The plastic that retains the little storage area in the trunk broke on my 2018 and now on my 2019. I knew it was delicate, so I was extra careful. But it broke anyway and looks like Chinese toy plastic. I use it storage tools and recovery gear. Then the piece that connects the electrical harness and spray hose to the hardtop, that cr@p broke too. I take my top on and off a lot, so of course it broke. Anything inside the Jeep that gets used freaking breaks. It is like they manufacture all this sh!t in a sweat shop.

It is insane I've never experienced this with a vehicle before.

Last edited:

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the newly redesigned part is just as fragile as the original or you reordered the original part?

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
So the newly redesigned part is just as fragile as the original or you reordered the original part?
It is plastic. It breaks. anything gets stuck on the track, or if it gets touch the wrong way it will break. It is just a terrible design, that little thing keeping the seat memory and being such an important piece of the whole release mechanism. It just shouldn't be in the tracks that is just such a dumb design.

AnebuR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is plastic. It breaks. anything gets stuck on the track, or if it gets touch the wrong way it will break. It is just a terrible design, that little thing keeping the seat memory and being such an important piece of the whole release mechanism. It just shouldn't be in the tracks that is just such a dumb design.
I just don't understand what the point of not going with a design that worked on previous Jeeps or literally every single other car ever made was.
Sponsored