Drivers side seat won’t fold back

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
Hi all! I moved and folded the drivers seat forward for the kids to get out of the Jeep (I have a 2 dr) and now the back of the seat won’t fold back to original position! I can’t drive home!

Any idea?
Sponsored

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
I assume/am hopeful that you got the seat working by now. Just pulling the strap is the only way I know to adjust the seatback forward or lean it back. Good luck and I hope it got worked house!

OP
OP

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@blessidsoul12 yeah.... still not able to. After pulling the strap, lifting the lever I was able to move the seat back far enough from the steering wheel, enough for me to fit in. With the back still folded forward I drove home like a hunch back of Notra Dame.

Plan on trying to work on it this morning before calling the dealer. The thing is I didn’t hear anything pop when folded it up for the kids to get out.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Easy fix. Get rid of the kids:devil: Seriously tho, I haven't moved mine yet so I hope it's just a fluke (I also have a 2 door). Let us know if you get it working properly or if it's a dealer trip. Good luck :like:

Sponsored

Rasdanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
This happened to me too. There is a lever on the tracked that just broke off. That piece allows the seat to go back to recline position from being fold forward. The only fix I was able to do is put a 3/8 X 3” socket bit in the track to catch the seat when sliding back. It would be on the track close to you/door. I will post pics later. I can’t believe a cheap little part like that could be on there and break so easily. I only moved that seat about 10 times since owning in September. 9775 miles.

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
This happened to me too. There is a lever on the tracked that just broke off. That piece allows the seat to go back to recline position from being fold forward. The only fix I was able to do is put a 3/8 X 3” socket bit in the track to catch the seat when sliding back. It would be on the track close to you/door. I will post pics later. I can’t believe a cheap little part like that could be on there and break so easily. I only moved that seat about 10 times since owning in September. 9775 miles.
Woooooow that’s disturbing... these things are supposed to take abuse. The last thing I want is to have to handle my Jeep with kid gloves.

Rasdanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
It was not fun knowing for an hour or two that my Jeep was not drivable even to get to dealer to fix. I just looked at the other side to figure out the mechanics of the seat so I can mod a fix. It’s actually plastic and metal and just snapped so easily. I left it how it is because it works and I’ve heard nightmare stories about the dealer fixing stuff. Jeep thing?

OP
OP

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rasdanko So I found two little pieces in the same track (closer to the door) this morning. Seems like the same pieces broke off of your Jeep.

I called the dealer and drove like a hunch back again for 4.5 miles to the dealer and the Jeep has been there since 9 (EST).

Glad you were able to fix it.

Rasdanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I hope they can replace that part and not try and sell you a whole new seat. I’m curious... when I get home tonight I will post a picture of how I fixed it. Been fine ever since. Good luck!!

Sponsored

Rasdanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Yes that’s the one. Ugh that sucks. I’m pretty upset it’s just a weak piece of metal and plastic that keeps that in check. Similar situations with the lever to fold down the seats up top at the shoulder. I’ve read here that those break too. People are using locking pliers and such to rig it.

OP
OP

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: Dealer called and said that they'd have to order the parts and it won't be done until next week! Service guy said a rental would be provided.

If they were able to fold back the seat, i'd take the car home while wait for the parts.