Sponsored

Driver's side rear quarter panel of softtop flying off mid trip.

DJ Jay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
So...we had an interesting morning. Put soft top on for first time earlier in the week. ('21 JLU Sahara with premium cloth) Made sure to do it with someone who knew what they were doing. Even checked before trip for good fit all around. Traveling on two lane highway at about 60mph this morning and driver's rear quarter panel blew right off. Landed behind us and then run over by multiple cars. No saving it. I am sure that the window was put in correctly. Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Nothing on the rear window or the top is missing or damaged. It literally blew clean off. Again, I am sure that it was in the track correctly and all tabs were very secure. Windows were all closed at the time.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Sorry to read about this one, Josh. Will your insurance policy assist here?

With respect, it is a bit difficult to envision the described loss of the window unless it wasn't secured correctly or completely in its channels and brackets.

There is just a bit of voodoo required to properly seat the window panel's stiff vertical upright piece in the related plastic brackets on the vehicle. Note that the vinyl window panel can look correctly installed when this piece is otherwise not fully pressed in place.

Possibly the window assembly or the tab channels, etc. on the vehicle itself did fail, despite everything. Were either inspected to determine if this was the case?

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree with the above poster. Unfortunately something wasn’t installed right.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That totally sucks. But sounds like that “someone” who helped you didn’t really know what he was doing.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
I had the same thing happen, driver side rear quarter (Bang) and it was gone. I might have had 3000 miles. I took it to my local dealerships ( not the dealership I purchased from) and jeep covered it under warranty. No issues since but I'm careful to check all seams, corners, flaps before hwy speeds. Good luck

Sponsored

OP
OP

DJ Jay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
James- Thank you. Everything looked right and felt right. Even checked it again right before the trip.

Nick- Thanks. I am going to speak with my service manager on Monday. Hopefully I will get the same warranty coverage. I am also going to make sure they look at everything to make sure there isn't some sort of defect in the main roof/channel.

Dscott326

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy’s

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T

Sponsored

Dscott326

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Willy’s
The linked PDF essentially states that enough owners weren't installing the soft top rear quarter window vertical retainers correctly that a friendly reminder was considered necessary.
Unfortunately, both times mine flew out, the windows had been installed by the Dealer. The 2nd time happened 15 minutes after he installed and then he refused to take any responsibility. Fortunately, Jeep stepped in and provided compensation.

78cj7-18lj

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangle Sahara JLU
Occupation
Retired
When it happened to me it was like a gut punch, brand new $$$$$$$$$$ Jeep and parts flying off, just a sick feeling. I still don't trust the top if I have had it folded down. I always want to stop and check because the two rear flaps WILL Not STAY TUCKED in the channel.

OP
OP

DJ Jay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara
I had the same thing happen, driver side rear quarter (Bang) and it was gone. I might have had 3000 miles. I took it to my local dealerships ( not the dealership I purchased from) and jeep covered it under warranty. No issues since but I'm careful to check all seams, corners, flaps before hwy speeds. Good luck
Nick
Can you tell me who your dealer was that provided warranty coverage? My dealer's service manager wants to reach out to him to see how the claim was put in with Jeep.

karynm8621

First Name
Karyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I guess this might be one of the downfalls of Bestop getting away from zippers and going to channels and velcro

DevilDog305

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Exact same thing happened to me, and I lost the panel I couldn't find it after. Took it to the dealer, this is known issue with the soft top on Jeeps, at first they tried to tell me I installed it incorrectly so I called Jeep Wave customer service and they took care of it for me. Dealer wanted to charge me $400 for a replacement.
Sponsored