Sponsored

Driver side cylinder low compression 3.6 Pentastar

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
These engines should have a recall on them, for all the issues that are popping up.

OP
OP

Grizzly64

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep wrangler Sahara
Time to pull a valve cover. My money is on flattened cam lobes.
Well Chrysler declined my case! Any thoughts on rocker arms and lobs replacement? I’m cautious about replacing with Mopar originals to have the problem again.

Thanks

Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
The owner of the large shop I use says Wranglers are the vehicles they work on the most.

He said they are always replacing bad lifters and worn camshafts on Wranglers. However, it’s been ALL JKs; not once on a JL.

OP
OP

Grizzly64

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The owner of the large shop I use says Wranglers are the vehicles they work on the most.

He said they are always replacing bad lifters and worn camshafts on Wranglers. However, it’s been ALL JKs; not once on a JL.
Thanks 🙏 Much appreciated

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Well Chrysler declined my case! Any thoughts on rocker arms and lobs replacement? I’m cautious about replacing with Mopar originals to have the problem again.

Thanks
Why did they decline your case? Too many miles/km's; past 60K warranty?

OP
OP

Grizzly64

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow. That’s some change for sure. What is your next move?
[/QUOTE​
Why did they decline your case? Too many miles/km's; past 60K warranty?
Passed 100k warranty - no service history at dealership - no extended warranty- the worst part is that nobody called me from chrysler. They made a decision to decline it. That’s it. mu point is these are major components prematurely failing. So far, im looking at $3500 to $4k in parts. Just very disappointed at how Chrysler handles this.

NPC 20883467

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Well Chrysler declined my case! Any thoughts on rocker arms and lobs replacement? I’m cautious about replacing with Mopar originals to have the problem again. Thanks
Dunno what to tell you... Between the Scamdemic, the strike, and Stellantis having to use any and all available spares to honor warranty claims, there's not a part to be had out there...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Grizzly64

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dunno what to tell you... Between the Scamdemic, the strike, and Stellantis having to use any and all available spares to honor warranty claims, there's not a part to be had out there...
Will start on it this weekend. See where it goes. More to follow

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red

Thanks
Passed 100k warranty - no service history at dealership - no extended warranty- the worst part is that nobody called me from chrysler. They made a decision to decline it. That’s it. mu point is these are major components prematurely failing. So far, im looking at $3500 to $4k in parts. Just very disappointed at how Chrysler handles this.

Since they gave you the big middle finger, research aftermarket Cams/Rockers etc. Higher performance ones, if they make them. Then have an affordable mechanic install them.

OP
OP

Grizzly64

First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since they gave you the big middle finger, research aftermarket Cams/Rockers etc. Higher performance ones, if they make them. Then have an affordable mechanic install them.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will definitely look into aftermarket parts as I was hesitating to purchase mopar to get this problem, again at a later time

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
So far, I have not found anyone that manufactures after market intake rocker arms for the Pentastar VVL motor.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Will start on it this weekend. See where it goes. More to follow
Let us know what you find. I haven’t torn a Pentastar apart, but from things I’ve read it seems the needle bearings on the intake rockers fail, then the rocker arm shifts out of position and grinds itself and the cam to death.

Good luck!
Sponsored