Driver not detected warning with service start/stop & check engine light

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
2018 JLU Sport S 2.0 w/ etorque. Doors off.
Couple days ago I got my first issue with the Auto Start/Stop system. Was going through security gate at work, Jeep shutoff as normal but then didn’t start back up. Had to shift to P then back to Drive. Thought that was weird. No warnings, lights or anything after that. After work get home. Stop at the mailbox, put it in P, get out, get back in, seatbelt on, shift into D. Jeep wouldn’t do anything. Got a “Driver Not Detected” message. Had to shift back to P then D again and it worked fine. Yesterday left for work and got the A-circle-! Warning light and message stating “Start/Stop Unavailable. Service Start/Stop System”. Drove to work without start/stop working but otherwise fine. Searched on here and read up on a bunch of posts about dead aux batteries, hood switch. Figured I’d look into it when I got home. Left work to go home and no lights, warnings, all was well.
Didn’t get a chance to look into last night. Went to leave this morning and again got the A-circle-! light, the same warnings again with “No Driver Detected”. This time before I could leave the neighborhood my check engine light came on. So I turned around and parked it. Just tried to schedule service at local dealership and said nothing available through July. Will try again later. Thought I’d post up here and see if anyone has seen this. Can’t find any info on the “No Driver Detected” message. Thinking it has something to do with the doors. Will put them back on tonight to see if that changes but want this fixed. It’s doors-off season! Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Rrr8400

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
That sucks! I have nothing to add regarding your problem, but am only commenting on the fact that your dealer has no service appts for more than a month???? That is completely unacceptable and I would be contacting management immediately if not contacting corporate for whatever tha tis worth

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
That sucks! I have nothing to add regarding your problem, but am only commenting on the fact that your dealer has no service appts for more than a month???? That is completely unacceptable and I would be contacting management immediately if not contacting corporate for whatever tha tis worth
I’m hoping it’s just an issue with the website. I’m in meetings at work all morning so will have to wait until lunchtime to call.
But... our van (Kia) has a recall and when I booked service for that earlier this week it’s still 3 weeks out and that’s on a recall.
Not been a good week with vehicles in our house...

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I have a 2018 Sport 2.0T, E torque as well. Since we have the 48v hybrid system, the 12v vehicle battery is charged off the BSG through the 48v lithium battery.
Check your battery voltage on your menu, it should be in the 14 - 14.5 v range while running. I keep the voltage display as the 3rd item, so it's easy to access.
A load test on your 12v main battery might be helpful, as the 12v powers the vehicle systems, and these batteries don't have a great lifespan. Hope this helps

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Since you have eTorque, you don’t have the small auxiliary battery. The 48V battery runs the Start/Stop.
As @four low stated, the issue could be your main 12V battery. The battery in mine (2018 2.0 w/eTorque) lasted 2.5yrs and less than 30k miles.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 Sahara has been showing miscellaneous electrical gremlins over the past two weeks as well —unfortunately my thread got moved to some obscure forum no one reads.

Judging by the few replies it got, it appears that JLs start doing crazy things when the auxiliary battery starts to fail.

If your auxiliary battery is still the original one, I’d look into that first.

Good luck!

PS - just saw post above; still, I’d look into the main battery and/or the charging system.

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Thanks for the replies.
mine only has 20k miles. Frustrating to have things acting up already.
I’ll measure the battery when I get home tonight.
Another thought I had is I keep a light packable jacket under the drivers seat. I wonder if that could be messing with the seat sensor which is why I get the Driver Not Detected msg. I’ll remove that, check the battery voltage tonight. If that doesn’t clear it I’ll try putting the doors back on.
thanks!

OP
OP
Bowhunter23

Bowhunter23

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUR-4xe, '85 CJ-7
Quick update. I think I may have figured it out. I do think my jacket under the seat was messing with the seat sensor. Also - I believe locking the doors from the fob with the doors off was messing with it as well. I have the diabolical slipstream in back so I always lock my doors even when no doors since the tailgate locks too.
I removed that jacket, unlocked the doors, checked the battery and it seems good (13.9-14.2V) when idling and under load driving. Also checked the fuse box and found a bunch of relays loose so pushed them in all the way. Start/Stop warning light went away but still had check engine light.
drove around a few miles, tested the start/stop. It all worked but still check engine light. Pulled the neg on the battery and let sit for a few mins.
check engine light cleared. Drove around a few more miles and everything seemed good. Except at restart got the outside temp too high warning. Thermometer on dash read 113deg even though it was 79 out. That took a few minutes to drop to normal and once below about 110deg the start/stop said ready. The thermometer continued to drop to 79. So all seems well now. Rained all night and forecasted for today so put the doors back on and no issues at all going into work this morning.
Thanks for the tips to check. I’ll keep an eye on it.
Sponsored