Sponsored

Drive Shaft Upgrade? JLUR w/ 3.5" Lift

docwilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'm a bit green and having some difficulty finding a good answer on this. How necessary is a drive shaft upgrade on a JLUR 3.5" lift?

I'm upgrading the tie-rod, drag link and steering stabilizer. With regard to the drive shafts should I upgrade it early, never or wait until it has signs of damage/wear?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I'm a bit green and having some difficulty finding a good answer on this. How necessary is a drive shaft upgrade on a JLUR 3.5" lift?

I'm upgrading the tie-rod, drag link and steering stabilizer. With regard to the drive shafts should I upgrade it early, never or wait until it has signs of damage/wear?

Thanks in advance!
It really depends on the travel of your shocks. The stock driveline will be fine for a while but once you tear the boot it's only a matter of time before the slip joint fails.

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It really depends on the travel of your shocks. The stock driveline will be fine for a while but once you tear the boot it's only a matter of time before the slip joint fails.
Agreed with what word302 said. From what I've seen, all the manufacturers suggest an aftermarket driveshaft with a 3.5" lift. If you're doing the least bit of offroading with articulation, you need to replace that driveshaft. If you're mall crawling and all you see is pavement, you can get away with the stock shaft for a while.

Personally I say buy once, cry once. Do it right the first time and replace that driveshaft.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@docwilson

For what it’s worth, I’ve been told an Adams driveshaft is the way to go if/when you pull the trigger.

Last edited:

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Adams or Tom Woods, you can't go wrong with either.
Never heard of Tom Woods but relatively new to actual Jeeping. I’ll take a look - thanks!

OP
OP

docwilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Thanks everyone. Northridge 4x4 echo'd this for the 3.5" Doesn't have to be done immediately, but will need to be done. And so the 2.5" vs. 3.5" dilemma continues!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks everyone. Northridge 4x4 echo'd this for the 3.5" Doesn't have to be done immediately, but will need to be done. And so the 2.5" vs. 3.5" dilemma continues!
If you install a lift/shocks with good articulation, even a 2.5” lift will require drive shaft replacement.

Sponsored

OP
OP

docwilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
If you install a lift/shocks with good articulation, even a 2.5” lift will require drive shaft replacement.
Yes, indeed. I'm going to pull the trigger on a front drive shaft upgrade with the lift (leaning toward 3.5").

Rear drive shaft seems like it might be overkill... at least for now. For those of you who have done a drive shaft upgrade, have you upgraded your rear too?

OP
OP

docwilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
JE Reel is another great brand for driveshafts.
JE Reel, Tom Woods, Adams... even local drive line shop seem recommended. I like the Adams 1350 and will go with them. Good reviews, easy maintenance, and I like the owner in his youtube videos.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, indeed. I'm going to pull the trigger on a front drive shaft upgrade with the lift (leaning toward 3.5").

Rear drive shaft seems like it might be overkill... at least for now. For those of you who have done a drive shaft upgrade, have you upgraded your rear too?
When I went from 2.5" to 3.5" lift, I went with an Adams 1350 front CV shaft. I will be upgrading the rear with an Adams 1350 CV shaft too. The front tends to wear out faster with more lift and can inhibit articulation more so than the rear. But for peace of mind, I am also upgrading the rear. I will be having mine done when I get 4.88's installed in another month or so.
Sponsored