Sponsored

Drawbacks of mounting a heavy winch up front?

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
super winch 10exp 69 ipf way way better check it out for yourself
Sponsored

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
On the same topic of excessive front end weight, I’ve got a couple of questions. I’ve ordered the steel bumpers on the Rubicon. Anybody know how much each one weighs? The front bumper I’m probably going to replace it with (I know, I know) weighs 137 pounds in steel and 37 pounds in aluminum. Seems the lighter aluminum version will compensate pretty well for the extra weight of the winch, wouldn’t it? Also, how much rake is there naturally on the Jeep? Even with a lift I’m considering a small front coil spring spacer to even it out. Would this work, and could I simply get a steel bumper and a slightly taller spacer to compensate for any extra front end weight from bumper and winch?

EDIT: I believe that this is exactly what I’m talking about to remove the rake. Would this counteract the weight of a heav front bumper and winch? It’ll be in conjunction with the Dynatrac 2” lift.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jl-...load-level-kit?vehicle=JLU Wrangler Unlimited
5b85cd4e4bd1f90075b73441.jpg

Last edited:

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
one might think a little added weight on a vehicle means nothing, but look at ford.... even though aluminum costs waaaay more than steel and isnt as strong as steel, they changed to aluminum bodies for their f series pickups to save weight.
weight alters handling...especially when it is outside the wheelbase, hurts mileage, and cuts into cargo capability (gvwr).
so, you may not notice the difference with that heavy steel bumper and 100lb winch hanging way out front, but it's there, and it does have an effect.

Bearman95

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Jeep noob, Those TeraFlex 1/2 inch spacers are what I’m going to put on my Rubicon which has the steel bumper group to compensate for the 1/2 inch that I lost on front when I put my Warn 10 S platinum winch on the jeep! I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. Let me know how that lift works for you, I do not really feel like I need a lift at this point with the Rubicon but if the Dynatrac Works without having to add any other item such as track bars or lower control arms then I would consider it! Right now mine works great with no rubbing so far with 315- 70 -17 KO 2 tires and Fuel Anza wheels.

1E903406-5E5C-4314-88EF-BBD5E27544E1.jpeg
Sponsored