Sponsored

Downsides to no LSD on 6 speed?

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Just like others have said, I’ve been really happy with the traction control on pavement and BLD on the trails. I put an air locker in back but I can’t say I’ve found a situation where I’ve truly needed it yet.

Just having the m220 with the 6 speed is a great platform to build from even if it’s open. I went for a while on 35’s and stock 3.45 gearing. It was ok on the street around town but you’ll likely want to re gear eventually. Especially if you drive anywhere at higher elevation.
Sponsored

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
Long winded-

Used 87 YJ, 258/6 w/5 speed (crap) open at both ends. All stock except for "big 31's." Hills and desert "ghost towning" no problems ok a few, come-a-long was my winch. Needed a tractor to get out of a "situatioin". It basically did everything I asked of it and more until trying to take a short cut across a newly plowed field after a morning rain. Moved on to a Pick up "for the hauling room". Hated being a livery and hauling service.

New 93 YJ (no more stuck in the mud) 4.0 5/ speed. 3 inch lift, 1.5 inch body lift, 34x9.50 "pizza cutter" Swampers, Yukon solid front axle (no disconnect), Yukon rear "strong 35", Confer trusses, 4.10 gears, sway bars removed, ARB front, Detroit Locker in rear. AND a big dose of Sawzall surgery. A beast on the street. Only "problem" nut connected to steering wheel. Example going up an incline covered in baby heads and I started slipping, sliding side to side in the rear. VERY embarrassing to be seen by the group, a couple of 4x4 trucks, a bronco II and Samurai. I was first to go for it and furthest up the hill. Then I realized "put in 4wd stupid". Yeah, gears and a locker can go a long way. Not a great daily driver though. 115,000 miles. Sold for another Pick up, when will I ever learn?

Sold my Pickup, Ordered 2020 JL 3/17/2020 "Covidified"

Answer the questions asked?
How will you use it? Daily driver? Exploring,Hunting, Snow, Desert, Rock crawling? Is it your only vehicle? Are you building for looks? or Use? (Careful with "both as an answer"). If it's a daily driver, ya gots to make it home and to work the next day. The wrong rut and right rock will make those new rims "credible".

My opinion and mine only. Figure out what your going to do with it by doing. Then see what you really need versus "want".

You "want" 35's, and maybe a lift, you could get stuck so a locker? but gears are an issue. When you go down this road it is like trying to eat 1 potato chip.

My 93 could go just about anywhere and be back by Monday morning for work, easypeasy. The commute to work, on a rainy day, on curving roads and sharp turns was a thrill ride from hell.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I’m really bummed Eaton hasn’t developed a Detroit TrueTrac LSD for JL. I had it on two of my JKs: they are indestructible!

JKool

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda CRV - 2003 Ford Expedition
This is a super timely thread, I'm pretty sure I am in the same boat as the OP and really have been digging around. I intend to do light off reading, maybe a weekend at rausch creek being that I live in PA, seems like it should be alright for that?

Though I'm looking at an automatic, that could make it different?

Sponsored

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
D60
My last two JKu's had limited slips, works great some major off roading, not much rock crawling traded both at 65k never a problem with Trac-locs or lsd. A bit of extra minor attention to changing fluid may have helped?

However with Wrangler847's hoped for mods he's probably just as well of and go for a change of gearing and a "real" locker? He does say "not much wheeling" so until he goes off road then...! LOL

Go Jeep!!!

trouphaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Unlimited
I’m pretty sure the manual is paired with the D44 regardless of the LSD.
Yeah, I got the LSD because I had one on another car years ago and the D44 upgrade was a nice benefit. Then, I found out the Jeep LSD is kind of shitty and I had the D44 anyway since I got a manual. Oh well.

barongan

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cherokee
You'll be fine without LSD. The BLD works well. My first jeep had 3:08 axles and open diffs. After learning with that going from a TJ Rubicon to a Sport with BLD only.......I have no regrets. The JL is a mountain goat compared to my first YJ.
nice
Jeep Wrangler JL Downsides to no LSD on 6 speed? {filename}

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I got the LSD because I had one on another car years ago and the D44 upgrade was a nice benefit. Then, I found out the Jeep LSD is kind of shitty and I had the D44 anyway since I got a manual. Oh well.
Me exactly :(

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
My ram 2500 has a gear driven LSD and boy do I miss that in the Jeep. Think detroit tru-trac type (no clutches to wear or lube additives). I don't have to use 4WD when it snows or slick surfaces like the Jeep. However the e-lockers in the Jeep lock up w/o a thought, unlike the truck so.. tradeoff for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
I ended up buying a 6spd gladiator few days ago with LSD. I don't get the stickers on these vehicles. Some say lsd and some don't . My sticker does not but the Chrysler specifications on the dealer website said it did and the build sheet PDF for that vin says it does too.

Last edited:

steelponycowboy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR Diesel, '17 Cherokee, '16 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Retired - most of the time anyway
I see that all the time, stock gears, went to 35s and no longer can use 5th or 6th gear. Ok on the flats but no good in hills or off road. Just makes you the dangerous Jeep on the trail. Seen too many wrong geared Jeeps on a steep hill stall out and nearly slide off the trail or cause an accident.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I think for your uses an LSD wouldn't really be necessary. I have the LSD/manual and I wouldn't trade the LSD. Of course, I mostly use it as a hunting/scouting vehicle (translation: driving like a lunatic on dirt roads in the woods), so the LSD comes into play a bit more than if I was pounding pavement all the time.

I also haven't had any issues with the LSD, we'll see if they pop up. I changed out gear oil after break in, so we'll see if that helps things any.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
There's only one type of LSD I'm aware of and it doesn't cost nearly as much as you are all talking about, and it comes in many forms.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
There's only one type of LSD I'm aware of and it doesn't cost nearly as much as you are all talking about, and it comes in many forms.

Stay away from the brown.
Sponsored