Downshift with 4.88 gears on 35s

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
I recently had my JLU sport automatic re-geared so I can run 35s. It's a daily driver, but the shop recommended 4.88 so I can still handle deep mud ruts and steep inclines on trails.

They warned me that the downshift when coming to a stop would be more noticeable, and that it's normal on a JL. The owner said every JL he's re-geared does this. Changing the gear ratio and tire size does nothing to help.

Does anyone have the same issue? I'm trying to get used to it, but it is a little annoying. If I'm not more aggressive when I'm breaking you can feel a slight kick if I ease up at all on the break pedal. They said there's no fix for it yet. Does anyone know if there's a way to correct this?

Another shop said if I went with 4.56, I probably wouldn't have this issue. Are they right?
Sponsored

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
I'm not a expert so please correct me if I am wrong but I think the 8 speed transmission can also be reprogrammed to shift differently.

How to do it or how much it would cost I am not sure but I have seen a few youtubers talking about altering shift points.

Sorry, I know that's not much help.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have 4.88's and 37's and an auto and get no clicking, I also have a Tazer and changed the tire size and gear ratio using that, if they didnt do either of those that is the issue with the clicking - I drove mine for a week without the tazer and no noises just annoying shift points that made me drive like a chauffeur to prevent weird shifts.

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have 4.88's and 37's and an auto and get no clicking, I also have a Tazer and changed the tire size and gear ratio using that, if they didnt do either of those that is the issue with the clicking - I drove mine for a week without the tazer and no noises just annoying shift points that made me drive like a chauffeur to prevent weird shifts.
It's not clicking. You just feel the downshift a bit more.

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It's not clicking. You just feel the downshift a bit more.
yes the shifting is annoying - get a Tazer and change the tire size and gear ratio - it will make it fun to drive and can do a lot more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes the shifting is annoying - get a Tazer and change the tire size and gear ratio - it will make it fun to drive and can do a lot more.
Already did that. That didn't help. I'm trying to figure out if this is a result of being over-geared, or is it just a JL thing like the shop explained.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I recently had my JLU sport automatic re-geared so I can run 35s. It's a daily driver, but the shop recommended 4.88 so I can still handle deep mud ruts and steep inclines on trails.

They warned me that the downshift when coming to a stop would be more noticeable, and that it's normal on a JL. The owner said every JL he's re-geared does this. Changing the gear ratio and tire size does nothing to help.

Does anyone have the same issue? I'm trying to get used to it, but it is a little annoying. If I'm not more aggressive when I'm breaking you can feel a slight kick if I ease up at all on the break pedal. They said there's no fix for it yet. Does anyone know if there's a way to correct this?

Another shop said if I went with 4.56, I probably wouldn't have this issue. Are they right?
It is possible you can correct this with reprogram the computer, or not.

The sweep spot of 35 on a a JL 3.6L 8-spd is 4.56, I mean even Jeep admits it in the extreme recon package where they pair 35 with a 4.56.

Most ppl do regear to 4.88 with 35, in the hopes of when their 35 wear out they will size up to 37. That did create a problem if you are driving 35 on 4.88, especially on highway, you get higher RPM, so the downshift (you can think it like engine brake) will be much more noticable.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs

Don’t have 35s and 4.88s but have 37s and 5.13s but noticed some downshifting when braking. It’s nothing concerning, you get used to it after a while so I wouldn’t worry about it as long as it’s not clunking/thunking to a stop and there’s no whining from your gears.

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don’t have 35s and 4.88s but have 37s and 5.13s but noticed some downshifting when braking. It’s nothing concerning, you get used to it after a while so I wouldn’t worry about it as long as it’s not clunking/thunking to a stop and there’s no whining from your gears.
No, nothing like that. Just more noticeable.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
No, nothing like that. Just more noticeable.
Yeah - I noticed it more at first after the re-gear but I honestly don’t pay attention to it any more (I’ve had my re-gear now for almost eight months).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe_S

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JScan or HPTUNERS TCM adaptive reset
I read about the TCM reset. I had 33s on it for a couple years. I wonder if it's behaving like they're still on.

GSLSE21B

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jLURD
I read about the TCM reset. I had 33s on it for a couple years. I wonder if it's behaving like they're still on.
When I changed to 4.88 my diesel would chirp the tires on downshifts , reset adaptive learning with hptuners and its great đź‘Ť
Sponsored