Sponsored

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order
I really don't mean this as an attack on you. But, you don't watch him, yet think he doesn't have much knowledge about the cars.

On what do you base that opinion?

I've watched probably 150+ of his videos. I don't like or dislike his style - completely ambivalent. Yet, he knows probably 85% of what there is to know about every car he reviews. That's about 100 different cars per year. That's an INSANE amount of knowledge about cars.

Sure, I know more than he does about an F-body Camaro/Firebird, a 5th Gen Camaro, a Pontiac G8, and my Wrangler. Maybe a few more. But, he's reviewed several cars where I wouldn't even be able to open the door, and he knows details about how to change the voice in the infotainment system in it.
It really should've gone without saying that I had watched enough of his video's to make my statement. To each's own.
Sponsored

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Reviews by non-enthusiasts are of little value. Doug's primary interest is YouTube aspirations and his videos demonstrate this.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Reviews by non-enthusiasts are of little value to enthusiasts.
Fixed that for you.
Doug's reviews are intended for the "normal" car buyer and address things that are important to normal people.
Just as an enthusiast's review is likely irrelevant to a non-enthusiast. Especially given the typical enthusiasts whitewashing of any flaws as a "Jeep thing" or "if you don't like, get a Toyota" BS. Plus their willingness to put up with shit aspects of the car that would make a normy kill it with fire.

One cannot reasonably expect a general auto reviewer to have enthusiast level knowledge of every car they review.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
I’ll take my beating- but I’ll just say what I think of the option- meh.

I think he sums it up best by saying that it doesn’t stand out from any other jeep. If I had seen that out and about, I wouldn’t have done anything but wave. They needed to set this one apart like the Raptor does. Everyone modifies Jeeps, so big wheels and tires are pretty much a given. They needed to have some model specific stuff. I have a strong feeling this is try 1.0 and 3.0+ will stand out more. If not, I’m not missing the huge hp now, so it’s not selling me on paying $30k more.

OutdoorGrant

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Well, Doug was pretending to be an off-road expert last week when he took a Rivian up a steep hill and back.

Perhaps he thought off-roaders weren’t going to watch that video...
I got into an argument with him on Reddit over the Rivian video when he claimed no other stock video would make that climb. Of course I got ratio’d to hell because of all the Doug/Rivian fanboys.

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm not sure who this guy is or why he got so popular,...
How this animated rube continues to get access to a wide variety of premium automobiles is something of a mystery. Perhaps the OEMs are so numb to YouTube lowering entry barriers that they just look for subs & Likes in lieu of truly professional (and increasingly rare) content providers.

Chacalou

First Name
Pascal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
What caught my attention was him saying that the Fox shocks added 2" of lift.

Agreed.
Hi Doug
great Review. But are you sure the extreme recon package gives an extra inch and 1/2 lift extra ??
please confirm thx

OP
OP
GrayHawk20

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation