Sponsored

Doug Demuro on the Rivian R1T's off-road capability

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Actually, this makes me really look forward to the day when Jeep (with all their experience) ditches the 4WD drivetrain and moves to a motor at each wheel. The Rivian clearly took too long to figure out which wheel to deliver power to. Jeep would know that is no bueno immediately. Articulation would be higher on the Jeep priority list too. My takeaway is that the Rivian is a good proof of concept of a motor at each wheel. Add Jeep experience to that and it could be quite the interesting evolution.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Actually, this makes me really look forward to the day when Jeep (with all their experience) ditches the 4WD drivetrain and moves to a motor at each wheel. The Rivian clearly took too long to figure out which wheel to deliver power to. Jeep would know that is no bueno immediately. Articulation would be higher on the Jeep priority list too. My takeaway is that the Rivian is a good proof of concept of a motor at each wheel. Add Jeep experience to that and it could be quite the interesting evolution.
Sure thing: Rivian is paving the way to electrification for off-roaders. They've shown it's more than possible.

Stellantis already said electrification is the next big step for Jeep, with the 4XE just being a step towards that direction. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

With the smile/grin Pete Milo had on his face when the good folks of TFL asked him about electrification on the Wrangler, I think we're in for a nice ride.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Sure thing: Rivian is paving the way to electrification for off-roaders. They've shown it's more than possible.

Stellantis already said electrification is the next big step for Jeep, with the 4XE just being a step towards that direction. Can't wait to see what they have in store.

With the smile/grin Pete Milo had on his face when the good folks of TFL asked him about electrification on the Wrangler, I think we're in for a nice ride.
And the 4XE is just a baby step in that direction (which is why I don't have one). There is so much "and now for something completely different" ways that this can go. It's encouraging to see that the Rivian's clearly improvable implementation works as well as it does. This should be fun!

Sponsored

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
You think?

I like it a lot. Matter of taste, I guess.
Totally agree. I would buy one in a second of I wanted to spend that kind of money on a vehicle.

OP
OP
JLBoucher

JLBoucher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2DR Willys 6MT
Totally agree. I would buy one in a second of I wanted to spend that kind of money on a vehicle.
Oh, I agree with you: more than 145 000 $CAN for a vehicle is totally crazy for me as well. Especially for an EV: they're all struggling, Tesla aside, to keep their resale value. Which means it's money thrown by the window.
Sponsored