tntemerson

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TerranceEmerson.com
Vehicle(s)
1) Wrangler JLU, Mopar Lift, BFG 35's, Fuel Anza 558 wheels, Westin Bumper, Smittybilt 10k winch; 2) GMC 4x4 1/2 Ton Pickup, 350 V8, 5 Speed (scarce)
About the online outlet, CARID.com.

For the record here, I RARELY get worked up about such issues.

But I’m NOT too happy with CARID.

I replaced the front bumper on my brand new JLU Jeep with a Westin, and I needed a plate holder ASAP or risk violation in CA.

Found one from CJ Pony Parts with free shipping on eBay, AND would have received the product in four days. But sometimes, well, it’s eBay.

With Amazon Prime it would have been here in TWO days, but no PayPal. My credit card’s getting a bit slim after adding wheels, tires, front bumper, and winch to the JLU.

Online CARID looked like a solid reputable outlet that takes PayPal. So I went with CARID.

I added product to cart. NO shipping cost indicated. Just a ZERO there. Looked competitive with the eBay offer, so I paid cash with PayPal, but the resulting PayPal receipt ADDED in $12.95 shipping. Ok. Shipping wasn’t free. I took it on myself for not checking more carefully.

I ordered on 7/30, but no email ETA of intended shipment date yet on 8/1.

Again, free shipping with eBay in four days, and with Amazon Prime it would have been here in TWO days.

Went to the CARID chat.

Got stuck with two different chat reps, 3-5 minutes with the first, and 5-7 minutes more with the second just trying to find out when I’ll get the product.

FINALLY CARID says I’ll have to wait THREE weeks for shipping, PLUS delivery time, because the product is on back order!!

But the same product was offered at the same price from CJPony Parts on eBay using PayPal with FREE 4 day delivery and they had four in stock.

I requested a cancelation of the CARID order. Customer service offered me a whopping $15 to drive around for nearly a month with no license plate mount and risk a citation, which was a big $2.05 over the shipping costs they charged me over CJ Pony Parts price. What a deal.

I literally told them “NOT INTERESTED” in $15. I’m INTERESTED in a PLATE HOLDER! Cancel the damn thing! It’s NOT the few bucks, it’s the hassle and the delay.

Customer service rep finally says ok, tells me it’s done, and I’ll get an immediate email notification, the only proof I’ll have of even talking to someone about this.

But I’ll now have to wait two MORE days just to get a transaction ID to PROVE it’s cancelled, and another 5-7 business days to get my cash back.

A half hour later. No email. An HOUR later, still NONE.

I didn’t even receive the customary email copy of the chat that most companies deliver immediately.

I had to basically send both SALES and CUSTOMER SERVICE a separate email rant with everything you’re reading here just to prompt them to finally send me the damn cancellation email.

Then I realized a month ago I took my local builder the CARID offer for the N-Fab Rock Rails I wanted, and he ordered them through CARID. After THREE weeks of waiting, I pressured him to check and he did. He said they’re on manufacturer back order. I contacted N-Fab myself. They ARE indeed on back order. But you can still go online at CARID where there’s NO indication of unavailability. You can just give them your money and wait forever for them to MAYBE tell you, but ONLY when they’re ready to ship. Unless you contact them, you get NOTHING to tell you why you’re waiting, which in my builder’s case, has now been a MONTH. Duh on me. I tried to buy the plate holder from the SAME outfit and hit yet ANOTHER manufacture’s back order delay.

WORSE, I subsequently found the N-Fab rails online from several OTHER dealers who HAD THEM IN STOCK, ready for IMMEDIATE delivery! Why, WHY, didn’t I have my dealer order from them? Because I was impressed by the CARID website, the volume of products, the *apparent* professionally of their presence. That’s why.

CARID looks like a fancy manufacturer drop shipper with no warehousing, which is fine. But given the added shipping that they poorly indicated, and the unavailability of products that they offer online WITHOUT notification of such, the fact that after WEEKS they never bothered to notify my builder of any delay for the N-Fab product, the fact I had to got directly to N-Fab to find out why, and the proof of cancellation I had to beg for on the plate holder, it’s just too much of a hassle.

Here’s what I sent to CARID:

“No indictment for the CARID chat and customer service reps who’re just doing their job as well as allowed. CARID, thanks, but no thanks. I’ll NOT likely be trying to deal with CARID again, and I’ll note this experience on the Jeep forums I frequent.”

So I’m ranting and acting out on this. I’m annoyed. But that outfit is NOT the place I particularly want to do business with, and I figured maybe somebody else might want to know about my experience before they shell out say not hundreds, but THOUSANDS of dollars UP FRONT, to find out they’ll have to wait forever to get a product CARID offers online with NO indication of unavailability, and will happily take your money and hold it without notification while you wait.

So I cancelled the license plate holder, but I’m STILL waiting for the N-Fab Rock Rails more than a MONTH after my builder ordered them. I'm wondering if I'll EVER get them.

Meanwhile, I ordered the plate holder from CJ Pony Parts on eBay while I wait for the return of my CARID money. I’m waiting to see if that works out any better.

If you SHOULD do business with CARID, I truly hope it’s a better experience than mine.

Done ranting now.
Sponsored