First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Sting Gray
Occupation
Amateur Cynic/Professional Skeptic
I took all 16 pieces off and got them colour matched LineX. I did it myself on my JK in black with bedliner but I like the durability of LineX more.
20220603_172721.jpg
My friend that is frickin' amazing! And as a fellow Sting Grey owner I'm even more in love.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My friend that is frickin' amazing! And as a fellow Sting Grey owner I'm even more in love.
Appreciate it. It's really not a big deal to do. If you have the Mopar spray can you can colour match bedliner and save yourself a few bucks. It was $300 CAD to get it done at LineX and bringing in the hinges and parts.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i have ran with out the nuts and after a year the door started to rattle while on the trail. ended up putting the bolts on and it stopped I havent used the pins yet

cthomas31

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLU Sport S Manual Soft top
I've been driving without the bolts for years. No problems at all.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just grease the holes, put the doors back on and put them back on, if this is too much of a challenge for me I should probably work out more. Then again how did I get the doors back on then ? 🤔
I can't imagine someone taking doors on and off who can't operate a torx socket, then again how did they get them off the first time then ? 🥴
Hmmm... lifting the fu$%#@ng doors on and off twice a year and storing them vs putting in a couple bolts.... All that work to get lazy at the very last second seems odd
Do what you want, unsure why you would need a guide pin for such a simple job and would forgo securing the doors to use them but... to each his own
Know how I know you've never used a guide pin on jeep doors?

I'm fit, and have done it a bunch of times and I love having the pins. I certainly take my doors off more than a "couple times" per season as well. Didn't run bolts for 5 years in my JK and going on 2 years in my JL.
The add on pins make putting the doors back on a breeze. Why wouldn't someone do it is my question. Lol.

Micky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
My JLU is over three years old. the screws have only been on for a couple of months after i brought it home (it was winter). you dont need em.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Pink RHD Wrangler 2015 RHD Wrangler
Know how I know you've never used a guide pin on jeep doors?
Since you didn't answer your own question:
The answer would probably be that you know I've never used guide pins because I'm the one who is making the case against them though - you'd be right, I haven't !
I simply would choose the security of the bolts over the slight advantage of the guide pins but if people struggle with lining up the holes then perhaps it would make sense for them to have guide pins especially if they take them on and off very often for reasons unknown to me but probably make sense to them
It's all good, we mod but we all mod differently

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Since you didn't answer your own question:
The answer would probably be that you know I've never used guide pins because I'm the one who is making the case against them though - you'd be right, I haven't !
I simply would choose the security of the bolts over the slight advantage of the guide pins but if people struggle with lining up the holes then perhaps it would make sense for them to have guide pins especially if they take them on and off very often for reasons unknown to me but probably make sense to them
It's all good, we mod but we all mod differently
It was rhetorical. Reason being is it's a big difference when it comes to putting the doors back on. Moreso if you're of a smaller stature. I wish I had them when I had my JK. Those doors were a lot heavier. Mine are on and off all summer. Like a lot. Im a big dude and appreciate the ease at which they go back on.

Like you said though, to each, their own.

Last edited:

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
LOL! This is a great thread. I never thought of foregoing the retaining bolts on the doors as I've always just put them back when re-installing the doors.

I'm sure they must perform some function in a crash though, but I guess the answer to that is not to crash. I've purchased at least 10 sets of airbags with vehicles over the last 27 years and I've never used them once.

Sponsored

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I didn't buy those pins because last time I looked they were a huge freakin overpriced ripoff.

I looked again today and see there are other vendors now offering reasonably priced ones.

That said, for me, the whole doors off thing was much better in concept then in practice.

Yeah it's cool to do occasionally, but since my Jeep is my daily driver, I don't leave them off all summer.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Question on these guide pins
If we were to screw them on by hand to help guide the door into place, can they be pulled out the bottom once the door is on so we can still install the correct fasteners ?
I don't see a big pain guiding the doors as is but why not get a little edge to make sure I don't accidently hit the threads
Anyone with these - can these be removed out the bottom with the doors on ?
Thanks in Advance :)

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to be a troll, but just wanted to share this terrible experience that happened to an acquaintance who replaced the door hinge nuts with pins. Long story short...first outing after installing the pins, he takes his family to the beach in their JLU. Later, they return to their beloved Jeep, only to find all four doors gone.

Will this change my opinion on removing the hinge nuts? Probably not. Will I always remember to lock my doors when the hinge nuts are removed? Absolutely.

That said....If/when I can ever find a set of half doors, I'll most certainly keep the nuts on, since there is a high demand for these doors and they are much easier for thieves to remove.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Question on these guide pins
If we were to screw them on by hand to help guide the door into place, can they be pulled out the bottom once the door is on so we can still install the correct fasteners ?
I don't see a big pain guiding the doors as is but why not get a little edge to make sure I don't accidently hit the threads
Anyone with these - can these be removed out the bottom with the doors on ?
Thanks in Advance :)
I would think if they were a bit longer, yes, you could.
Regardless if you used the pins or not, you should replace piece of shit aluminium liner with a Delran one. There are a ton of jeeps rolling around where the doors won't even come off anymore due to gavanic corrosion.
I have a buddy locally bought a used JK and he can't get drivers door off. We even tried a HiLift and 2x4....started to bend bottom of door. Lol.

Pinky Tuscadero

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would think if they were a bit longer, yes, you could.
Regardless if you used the pins or not, you should replace piece of shit aluminium liner with a Delran one. There are a ton of jeeps rolling around where the doors won't even come off anymore due to gavanic corrosion.
I have a buddy locally bought a used JK and he can't get drivers door off. We even tried a HiLift and 2x4....started to bend bottom of door. Lol.
Been there myself. The replacement bushings are cheap and come with the tool so I suppose if its even slightly questionable I should change which I'd only done once on a JK.
Once they are off I grease the hole up all gooey but changing those out every couple years would certainly be a plus
Gotta spray your friends door and lift at different open positions. I used my floor jack and a 4x4 chunk for that on a rear door - if still no-go I suppose pulling the hinges is an option (seems I did that once too - lol)
Thanks for the reminder though, next year I'll just rebush in the spring reqardless of ow they look that day 😎
We have a very good forum here
Sponsored