Sponsored

doors off in rain - damage mitigation (2018 JL 2-Door)

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I've had over an inch of water in my jlu a few times now. This has come about through a combination of (un)luck and sometimes laziness lol. I will share my wisdom:

- Pull the plugs as soon as you can, obviously. Don't forget the plug in the cargo tub, too. Even if you think the water is mostly up front, it will go anywhere/everywhere, so don't neglect the back.
- Definitely pull the carpets, even if you think you've gotten the water out. A couple times I pulled the plugs, let it sit in the sun for a day or two, and thought it was fine only to pull the carpets a week later and find a good amount of water just kind of sloshing around in the jeep. Yum.
- If it starts to rain while you're driving doorless, yes, put the soft top up, but even in straight-down rain you're still gonna take in some water. And make sure to put the back windows in, too. Safari mode does next to nothing for the cargo area in a 4-door, so if the 2-door is the same story, you'll be flooded in the back in no time.

Happy swimming!

OP
OP

slim150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Porsche Cayman, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU 2-Door
Thanks for all the responses. From what I've read I'm going to the following. Does anything seem off:

#1 Not worry too much about water
#2 Keep towels handy if I get caught in rain with doors off.
#3 Water repel my cloth seats (consensus is for 303 fabric guard) - all waterproof covers look hideous to me
#4 Not get factory all-weather mats because even though they allow for a drain hole, it doesn't seal well
#5 Get all-weather mats without a drain plug
#6 If I get caught in rain, pull out plugs asap (including back)
#7 Pull out carpets to dry, not only trusting that I was protected by weather mats & drain plug alone.

#8 Enjoy the jeep and stop babying her

Last edited:

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Pull the seats, throw away the carpets and have the inside coated with that truck bed stuff. Put the seats back well sprayed with that canvas tent stuff someone mentioned and off you go, can't fail!

Go jeep!!!

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
My nieces Toyota Corolla (I know it's not a jeep... but keep reading) was being stored at my house while she was in college. The sunroof drain plugged up and a few days after a bad rain I noticed fog on the inside of the car windows. Upon further investigation I found 2" of water in the front right floor pan and another 3" in the right rear floor pan. I stripped the interior, drained everything, drip dried the carpet, then put it all back together and put a heater and dehumidifier in the car until it went 24 hours without any water collection. I pulled about 2 gallons of water out with the dehumidifier over the course of a week. Once back together there were no issues with fogged windows, no musty smell, in fact no issues at all. Unfortunately I can't report any long term information because after the COVID thing and her return from school she got her car back from me and after about a month some SOB stole it. I can testify that the dehumidifier worked exceptionally well to dry everything out.

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I have a 2018 2-door JL hard top and I live in Florida and it rains suddenly and often. Say I'm cruising around with my Freedom tops off and my doors off and it looks like rain. I'll have my freedom tops with me to put back on, but the doors will be at home. In order to mitigate damage to my Jeep (musty smells) should I do any of the following:

1. Invest in water resistant seat covers? (But then where will the water go)
2. Invest in some sort of "bed liner" floor mats that cover the carpet? (If these exist what are good ones?)
3. Rip out the carpet and put a bed liner (ugh)
4. A combination of 1 and 2
5. A combination of 1 and 3
6. Nothing because nothing will help

or

Does rain not really play a factor when you you only have doors off.

Don't know if you have seen the video yet, in the video the guy doing a review on the Wrangler is pointing out how the speakers / front tray and other areas are meant for cleaning " the Jeep is meant to take a garden hose to, everything is water tight - even the radio".

Now, I wouldn't take a garden hose to the interior of my Jeep, but it is reassuring to know the fore thought was to make the Jeep as much as possible "water tight" - especially with a product that one can take the roof and door off....

Having said this, let's use some common sense. If the interior does get wet, things like carpet, seats - basically anything that can absorb water will need to get dried out otherwise one will get mold, bad smells and the occasional 'Pot seed sprouting".

Using a dehumidifier will also work as suggested, I would probably lift the carpet, open the doors and let nature take care of the rest.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
... Everything in these jeeps are water resistant.
I would agree with this statement for everything BELOW the dashboard. All the electronics in the dash are very susceptible to water. From experience, a 1" rain fall wreaked havoc on my clockspring and the horn would randomly go off until the battery would die (or I pulled the fuse). Took months for the gremlins to finally go away. Full disclosure this was a JK, but the JL dash is not significantly different in the design and probably has MORE electronics.

So, if you have the freedom tops on, and water is blowing in your doors just protect the dash/steering area: everything else is good to go.

20180626_155714.jpg

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I would agree with this statement for everything BELOW the dashboard. All the electronics in the dash are very susceptible to water. From experience, a 1" rain fall wreaked havoc on my clockspring and the horn would randomly go off until the battery would die (or I pulled the fuse). Took months for the gremlins to finally go away. Full disclosure this was a JK, but the JL dash is not significantly different in the design and probably has MORE electronics.

So, if you have the freedom tops on, and water is blowing in your doors just protect the dash/steering area: everything else is good to go.

Jeep Wrangler JL doors off in rain - damage mitigation (2018 JL 2-Door) 20180626_155714
I appreciate your comment but that contradicts Jeeps statement on water resistance in the JLs. They say 18 hours water resistant inside the Jeep.

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JLUS, 2008 JLUX, 2018 JLUR
I appreciate your comment but that contradicts Jeeps statement on water resistance in the JLs. They say 18 hours water resistant inside the Jeep.
Yes, I know: I'm just speaking from real-world experience. Again, this was on a JK not a JL. I've also had an iPhone that was rated for 2m depth @ 30 min get trashed by a splash of water at the exact wrong angle. Like all things, YMMV...

To the OP, I think doors off and panels on would be fine, just a soggy carpet and seats.

Sponsored

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
There was a poster about a year ago that on a beautiful sunny day sent his Jeep in for service with his soft top down. He then got driven to work. Fast forward to the afternoon a thunderstorm comes in. He figures they'll cover it or bring it in. Nope, and he had radio issues until he finally had to change the radio.
I remember a lot of people were giving him a hard time because he should have sent it in covered but what's not debatable is the rain ruined his electronics

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
@slim150 pull the carpet and install BedTred. It's pretty nice. Have it in my 2 door and dust, dog hair wipe right out. When it did rain with my top down I didn't flinch. Didn't do anything but a quick wipe down when I got home.

seanm001

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I live in the Mid-Atlantic and there were easily a dozen times that I forgot to put the top back on my TJ before a drenching downpour. I opened the floor drains, toweled off the seats and sopped up any standing water. Drove around with a towel on the seat until everything dried out. I had days that stayed drizzly and didn’t get to air it out right away. It never rusted, electronics kept working, never smelled. I have no doubt the JL is the same or better.

You’re unlikely to get that much water in the vehicle during a quick downpour with no doors but top on, unless it’s a sideways driving rain. Keep towels in the back, not just for that eventuality but for all sorts of other needs along the way.
Sponsored