Doors off and thieves

RenegadeJeeper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stingray JLU sport
Want to take off my doors but raining like crazy here in OK.
I don't have much in my Jeep and have done the locking ammo cans on the tailgate but do y'all worry about other things being stolen like fire extinguisher, shovels, etc?
Sponsored

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Nope. When I'm running doors off and I know I'll be parking someplace I don't keep anything in the jeep. If I know I'll be in it all day then that's a different story.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I have a soft top which might as well be doors off. I keep nothing in the front of the jeep except some kleenex and a cable for my phone. I have a backbone so everything else including tools, insurance card, etc are locked in the back.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Personally if I'm running naked then I have nothing worth taking in my Jeep, even when parking at work in an area blanketed with HD security cams. All of my other gear (I don't have a lot) I leave out on a regular basis unless I'm going somewhere I might need it. Not necessarily overly concerned about theft, but no need to chance it.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t worry about it. I’m not going to let that get in the way of all the enjoyment I get from running naked. I have a plastic bin with lid in the back that holds a first aid kit, boots, recovery gear, etc. Lock up the glove box and center console and call it a day. If someone takes something than they must have needed it more than me.

That said, I don’t leave my laptop bag or really anything else just sitting there in the open.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I have a Tuffy tailgate lockbox and keep my registration and insurance in there (I kept that in the trunk in my Miatas, old habit). The only things I keep in my glovebox and console are sunscreen, etc, nothing special.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I have the Slipstream security enclosure (like a locked trunk) so anything of value or documents is locked in there

Note: do not lock your glove box or center console they will just pry open and damage them better to not have valuable in them and leave unlocked.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I have a soft top so I naturally never bring or leave anything of value in my Jeep. I also usually leave it unlocked.
locking it activates the alarms, I "lock" mine with no doors on.

Remember hardtop offers zero protection, thief with a glass breaker is in faster than guy with key. Tuffy console lock, Tuffy rear lockbox or slipstream are best bets. If you leave stuff visible in most big cities its gone in seconds.

PJJEEPER

First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I have a Tuffy tailgate lockbox and keep my registration and insurance in there (I kept that in the trunk in my Miatas, old habit). The only things I keep in my glovebox and console are sunscreen, etc, nothing special.
Thinking of buying this Tuffy Tailgate lockbox. Think it's easily pryable? It looks like of chinky from the photos. I live in a fairly "safe" area but you never know, of course. Would you trust something like a laptop or purse in there, when you were out and about?

Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
I leave mine wide open for days on end, where ever I go. But leave very little in it; maybe a blanket, sweatshirt, and sunflower seeds (baseball dad requirement). Anything small and of value I put into the Tuffy Console Lockbox contraption, which seems very solid.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Slipstream security enclosure (like a locked trunk) so anything of value or documents is locked in there

Note: do not lock your glove box or center console they will just pry open and damage them better to not have valuable in them and leave unlocked.
I promise I don't intend this to sound like a prick, I'm just not that kind of guy. Here's how I read that sentence:

"Note: do not lock your doors (car, house, office) they will just pry open and damage them."

I just look at it as if they want to get at something they will, regardless of doors on/off etc. Locking things provides a minor deterrent to those that aren't totally committed to getting your stuff. Those that are committed are going to be a problem regardless.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thinking of buying this Tuffy Tailgate lockbox. Think it's easily pryable? It looks like of chinky from the photos. I live in a fairly "safe" area but you never know, of course. Would you trust something like a laptop or purse in there, when you were out and about?
I'm sure that if someone wanted to get in, they would be able to. I usually store my work iPad Pro, lunch box, fleece jacket, tools, registration/insurance. I have gotten into the habit of securing things before I leave so people don't see you put valuables in there (not always possible, I know). I also lock the tailgate to make it just a bit more inconvenient to open.

I live in a safe area with an extremely low crime rate and my Jeep is garaged, but scumbags travel and an be anywhere.

Overall, I'm very happy with this box and it makes driving a doorless and topless jeep as a daily possible. I like having a place to put things when running in for coffee or groceries.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I promise I don't intend this to sound like a prick, I'm just not that kind of guy. Here's how I read that sentence:

"Note: do not lock your doors (car, house, office) they will just pry open and damage them."

I just look at it as if they want to get at something they will, regardless of doors on/off etc. Locking things provides a minor deterrent to those that aren't totally committed to getting your stuff. Those that are committed are going to be a problem regardless.
I did have the experience of having both my glovebox and console pried open (this was on a YJ a long time ago). I leave them unlocked now.
Sponsored