Doors leaking cold air

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
We just made a 7 hour drive to Denver and the temps outside during the drive were -2 to 2F the entire way. My wife and I noticed that on both sides right around where the front doors latch there was a lot of cold air coming through. Enough that you couldn't keep your arm on the armrest for extended periods without it getting uncomfortable. There was no wind noise like there was a leak but you could definitely feel it and the doors are flush so I don't think it's an alignment thing. I could feel the same thing up around the driver's side upper dash speaker in the corner by the windshield.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just because of the Sub-Zero temps? I had a 2010 JKUR for 10 years and never noticed anything like this, but it usually never got that cold for an extended period. It made me glad I ordered the cold weather package.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I notice some drafts here and there but toying like what your experiencing

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Every one I’ve had has done something similar.

Having a vehicle that is designed to be disassembled and reconfigured easily has some drawbacks.

OP
OP
Friday2322

Friday2322

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLUR
Every one I’ve had has done something similar.

Having a vehicle that is designed to be disassembled and reconfigured easily has some drawbacks.
Yeah, I'm used to the creaks and groans from having a hard top and know there are some trade offs for having something that you can disassemble. I guess I'll just chalk it up to being effing cold.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
So you are "OK" with this?
Yeah. WTF are you going to do about it? It has 2-4 doors that come off as well as it’s top. These are the trade offs. If you want a quiet Jeep, buy a Grand Cherokee.

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I had a 2010 JKUR for 10 years and never noticed anything like this, but it usually never got that cold for an extended period.
Yah, JK's are better than JL's in every conceivable way. ;)Just kiddin, maybe.

PALIDN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2009 Chevy Corvette
It’s been really cold in fly over country. Haven’t seen 32 degrees in about 12 days.
Just setting in a parking lot, waiting on my better half, I can feel the cold wind on my neck and left shoulder. My JKU never had this problem. Might try adding some more strips of rubber around the doors.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I’m not - something that stickers for $50-60k should leak anything. No different than a 60k boat that leaks a little water.....neither are acceptable. I thought mine too had small air leak coming from the A pillar area. Discovered it was the defroster blowing against cold glass...which created a cold draft.

Sponsored

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Okay? More or less. You bought a Wrangler, it's not a "good" car, it's a cool, eccentric, iconic vehicle but it's not exactly well made. What'd you expect?

And just because you spent a lot does not alter the nature of the thing. Some things you have to accept if you want to look cool driving a Wrangler.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm not sure what folks are suggesting should be done. The Jeep has an excellent heater, there is a cold weather package available, and we only have a handful of owners reporting this. Plus it was noticed under extreme conditions. I don't think that this rises to the level of a problem yet. I certainly wouldn't want a weather stripping and glue "recall", and....that's what it would likely be.

The JL is an exceedingly comfortable vehicle, as is, given its intended use.

Last edited:

JRobes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Max Tow, 2004 WJ Overland
Occupation
Mech Engineer
I’m not - something that stickers for $50-60k should leak anything. No different than a 60k boat that leaks a little water.....neither are acceptable. I thought mine too had small air leak coming from the A pillar area. Discovered it was the defroster blowing against cold glass...which created a cold draft.
This exact thing happened to me the other day but was with the driver upper vent. rotated it away from the window a bit and no longer an issue.
Sponsored