Sponsored

Doors and top off 100% of the time in Los Angeles CA?

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
I would say San Diego is that grey area known as the gouch.
Makes sense.

Still remember it, was at Pacific Beach, staying at the Pacific Terrance Hotel, sadly it was January, though it was still beautiful out there
Sponsored

HuckleMonster

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 392, 2023 TRX
Dude, everything is illegal in Los Angeles, CA.
Except for pot, illegal aliens, crime is almost not illegal as jail time is minimal. Any theft less the about $1000 is just ignored by the popo. Hmmm, what else.... Oh, you can camp out on city streets and not worry about getting a ticket. Also, you can head up to SF and take a big ol' dump on Nancy's door-step and no one will bother you.

What do mean, everything's illegal?

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Dude, everything is illegal in Los Angeles, CA.
As in most any news today. The truth is actually the opposite of what you are saying. I can’t think of anything that is illegal in Los Angeles California. Anything goes here it’s the wild wild West. The Democratic phrase “is illegal really illegal?” Started in California.

Last edited:

Nicor

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have been driving around for a little over two months without doors (Denver).
No garage so she's been living outside.
I honestly had zero issues but it is a risk and if you can live your day knowing that something can happen, do it.
I feel fairly comfortable but I have been definitely avoiding shitty areas/crowded places (with no regrets) but if something happens really can happen anywhere.

Yes...it did rain and pour for sure, while parked at home or driving around.
If it rains pullover, grab a coffee, take it easy and enjoy the experience, this is how I am taking it.

You will get a shit load of dust everywhere, specially offroading; honestly 5 min with an air compressor + a rag and you are good.

How I feel while driving without doors and the smile I have on my face is far greater than the downs, big time.

Is about time to put them back on for good unfortunately.
If I need to be honest...I really wish I misplaced my doors for good.

Sponsored

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Buddy who got me into this keeps his JLU Sahara without doors and top for weeks on end, no issues. When we hit the trails we pull into my place at the end of the weekend and do a top-to-bottom clean with an air compressor and some interior wipes. Leather is a big plus here because it wipes clean very easily. Lots of street parking in the Los Feliz/Silver Lake/Glendale/Burbank areas and no issues so far. I plan on doing the same with my JLR when I do finally pull the trigger on one.

Obviously you exercise a certain level of caution when parking a $50,000 doorless vehicle in public and park within eyeshot whenever possible, but it's never really been a massive concern so far.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

You will get a shit load of dust everywhere, specially offroading; honestly 5 min with an air compressor + a rag and you are good.

ah man why didnt i think of that?! was in safari mode on the trail. interior got covered in dust. took my wife and i forever to clean it off. i said no more off roading without being hermetically sealed! lol

MrCntry

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I live in San Bernardino, CA and work in Ontario, CA. I have my doors and top off at least 6 months out of the year. Never had any issues at all. (Knock on wood). Did the same thing with my JKUR. It is not garaged either. People in the neighborhood that don't lock their doors get there car gone thru by homeless and thieves but they never mess with my open Jeep. They probably figure there is nothing in there to get if it is open.

I am not sure I would do it in Los Angeles. Probably depends on where you are going in LA. LA county.

73CJto19JL

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubi, 2015 GMC Sierra, 1964 Chevy Chevelle Malibu SS Convertible
Occupation
Electrical/ Controls Engineer
Would you be wiling to put up with finding a fresh steamer on your seat for the pleasure of driving without a top or doors?
"Steamer" LMAO. Really shouldn't they add some squiggly steam lines to the turd emoticon?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My only beef with SoCal is how there's a sewage plant, refinery, or oil drill rigs next to every beach lol. It kinda takes away from the natural beauty. That and it'd be nice if people were more relaxed on the roads. It's like we could use a team of psychologists to find ways to relax/improve driver morale lol. Maybe then we'd have fewer car accidents and people breaking the laws while driving.

Sponsored

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

I know it occasionally rains in LA but not bad. I was curious as to if people do this or think it’s feasible? I’ll be moving out here and am looking forward to the warm weather with little rain.
Born & raised here. Not little rain--no rain from May thru November. December thru March, a day of rain every 3 or 4.

Comments about where you live and drive are on the mark, except there are many communities in "LA" that are just fine.

Bigger problem is probably the sun. Not humid but it is HOT in direct sun. (Unless you live and stay in Malibu....)

Doug Huse

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, Fire Cracker Red, 2019 Winnie M/H, Kia
Never heard San Diego referred to as anything but "America's Finest City" which was started by the San Diego Chamber Of Commerce probably. As one of the country's biggest cities, the sixth or seventh largest I think, I would have no problem parking downtown anywhere. Have lived here since 1958, had 7 convertibles, 6 motorcycles, and never had a bit of problem as described in the previous posts of the other cities.

Daver

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am attending lmu and thanks for the info. It was super helpful!
I am in the south bay (South of LAX) and have the roof and doors off. I bought this cover https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B3VZX4R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to keep the interior dry (because of the overnight dew). I have never had any problem with anyone touching the interior or spitting in the car or any of the other things that the some of the posters have warned of. Not saying it could not happen but I haven't experienced it. You may want to get a bikini top to cut down on the sun exposure. That is on my list of things to do. A bikini top may eliminate the need for the cover.

THere is little to no rain April - Nov, but I wouldn't go topless for the rest of the year. It can rain semi frequently in the winter. It also will be in the 50s to 60s. Not sure where you are from, but once you get acclimated to Southern California the 60s will seem chilly. I originally came from the Chicago area. Now I am a weather wimp.

cypherflow

First Name
Dino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR & Evolve e-skateboard
Occupation
Super Computer Nerd
Vehicle Showcase
Inglewood at Loyola Marymount University
f2fSbc0.png

INGLEWOOD!!!! Good Luck!! I wouldn't risk it. Lived in socal all my life and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. But like everyone said, there's always good/bad parts of a city....... Inglewood always up to no good! Maybe you're too young, but remember the LA Riots? Reginald Denny was pulled out of a semi and beaten up! Much easier to pull a person out of a Jeep. Move towards the beach area if $$ isn't an issue.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
There’s a good part of LA?
Yes. It is called Southern Orange County, like Irvine, Mission Viejo, and Newport Beach. Technically not in LA, but a girlfriend from Sacramento thought it was since it is a giant strip mall from San Fernando Valley down to San Clemente (under constant road construction somewhere on both the 5 and 405). Lived there for almost 30 years and then moved to Southern Arizona. Will never go back except to visit and those trips reinforce why I will never go back. There are some beautiful places in that state, but way to many people and don't get me started on the politics :headbang: :swear:
Sponsored