Sponsored

Doors and freedom panels off with top still on.

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
I used to LOVE running around in my 2 door Rubicon topless. I now have a 4 door with a Rooftop tent and was wondering what it would be like with the dors and freedom panels off, but the hard top still on? Anyone run this way, and serious buffeting? TIA
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I used to LOVE running around in my 2 door Rubicon topless. I now have a 4 door with a Rooftop tent and was wondering what it would be like with the dors and freedom panels off, but the hard top still on? Anyone run this way, and serious buffeting? TIA
I've run every combo of top/freedom panel/door possible... lol. My Jeep and I are saddest whenever we are buttoned up completely. What you are describing is still fun if you are in a situation where it's not feasible to take the top off. Sometimes I would throw the rear window up to allow better air flow.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Haven't done it yet with the JL, but I ran that way for a week or two most fall & spring season changes around here in my JKs. I'd have the racks and often ski box on the roof then.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
You mean like this???

Jeep Wrangler JL Doors and freedom panels off with top still on. 1620852644451

It has been a while, but nothing stands out like it was crazy or anything.

SargeRubicon14

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rock Red Pearl 2-door Wrangler Sahara (Sold); 2021 Sarge Green 4-door Wrangler Rubicon; 1995 Ford F250 XLT 7.3L Powerstroke
Occupation
Law Enforcement
Vehicle Showcase
I did it, there wasn't any buffeting. Not my ideal set up, but it's fun.

photostudio_1617415690654.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Stumeat

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like this???

Jeep Wrangler JL Doors and freedom panels off with top still on. photostudio_1617415690654

It has been a while, but nothing stands out like it was crazy or anything.
Yeah, that exactly! Nice setup.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Sometimes I would throw the rear window up to allow better air flow.
So this is a thing I feel like I'm seeing a lot of this spring. Jeeps running around, windows down, maybe freedom panels off, and the rear glass open. Nothing sticking out of the rear glass and I can't see anything holding the glass in place other than the struts. The ones I've seen have been on surface streets, so maybe 45 - 50 mph max legal speeds. But it seems like a risky position. Couldn't a gust of wind throw the glass closed impacting the tire/third brake light? Or try to pull it up over extending the struts? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious that eliminates the risk of breaking the rear glass.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
I run hardtop on and doors off most of the summer and never have issues. That includes multiple-hour trips on the highway. Can’t imagine it’s any worse with the freedom panels off. I guess the vent through the tailgate works well!

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
So this is a thing I feel like I'm seeing a lot of this spring. Jeeps running around, windows down, maybe freedom panels off, and the rear glass open. Nothing sticking out of the rear glass and I can't see anything holding the glass in place other than the struts. The ones I've seen have been on surface streets, so maybe 45 - 50 mph max legal speeds. But it seems like a risky position. Couldn't a gust of wind throw the glass closed impacting the tire/third brake light? Or try to pull it up over extending the struts? Maybe I'm just missing something obvious that eliminates the risk of breaking the rear glass.
Never had a gust of wind come close to closing that glass.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I didn’t notice any issue when I had mine off (I have tube doors but I doubt that made any difference).

Jeep Wrangler JL Doors and freedom panels off with top still on. 1C1B1A48-2A14-4FDE-A0E5-55257E8D48DE
Sponsored