Ibshake

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Hi Guys

I was wondering what are the rules to driving doorless in Ontario, did you guys ever get fined for not having doors or mirrors?
Sponsored

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
In Ontario you don't need doors. You do need mirrors however.
Rear view mirror is sufficient provided the view is not obstructed. Freedom panels in the storage bag in the cargo area obstructs the view - did that once, do not recommend it.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8 (ontario.ca)
Other equipment
Windshield wiper, mirror
(1) Every motor vehicle other than a motorcycle shall be equipped with,

(a) a device for cleaning rain, snow and other moisture from the windshield so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver;

(b) a mirror or mirrors securely attached to the vehicle and placed in such a position as to afford the driver a clearly reflected view of the roadway in the rear, or of any vehicle approaching from the rear. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 66 (1).
Interestingly, 66(1)(a) of the requires windshield wipers, but nowhere in the act is a windshield required.

That said, while seemingly legal, I have found it awkward driving without side mirrors. I picked up the CMM mirrors and can say they're worth every penny.

I've driven past many cops with no doors, no side mirrors, windshield folded and never had an issue.

OP
OP
Ibshake

Ibshake

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Rear view mirror is sufficient provided the view is not obstructed. Freedom panels in the storage bag in the cargo area obstructs the view - did that once, do not recommend it.

Highway Traffic Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8 (ontario.ca)

Interestingly, 66(1)(a) of the requires windshield wipers, but nowhere in the act is a windshield required.

That said, while seemingly legal, I have found it awkward driving without side mirrors. I picked up the CMM mirrors and can say they're worth every penny.

I've driven past many cops with no doors, no side mirrors, windshield folded and never had an issue.
That’s nice. I was thinking of picking myself some mirrors for when the doors come off. You recommend the CMM mirrors?

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That’s nice. I was thinking of picking myself some mirrors for when the doors come off. You recommend the CMM mirrors?
Yes. Rock solid, no vibration. Easy to mount and unmount. Also provides a RAM ball mount, which I use for a removable brake controller.

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What are the CMM mirrors?

Does everybody buy from Canadian websites and stores or do you order through the USA?

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
[/QUOTE]

What are the CMM mirrors?

Does everybody buy from Canadian websites and stores or do you order through the USA?
[/QUOTE]

Carolina metal masters. I ordered directly from them.

https://cmmoffroad.com/products/cmm-jl-side-mirrors-with-1-ball-mount-solution

I have also ordered from northridge 4x4’s canadian operation with good experience.

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase

Gummiente62

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gummiente62.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JL Sport, 97 C5 Corvette, 03 HD FXD
Occupation
Retired
I've done a fair bit of motoring about doorless the last two summers, it's very addictive. Got lots of looks, but never any issues with OPP or municipal police. As others have said, it is legal to do as long as you have at least a dvr side mirror. At first I just used an old Harley mirror bolted to the upper door hinge, but then I bought a set of Aries tube doors and mirrors.

For accessories I try to support CDN businesses as much as possible; I check inventory at Just Jeeps, Hitchweb Canada and Trailhead Customs first before going to Amazon.

FB_IMG_1605094303793~2.jpg

Sponsored

JohnT

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
4-minutemiles.weebly.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
Hi Guys

I was wondering what are the rules to driving doorless in Ontario, did you guys ever get fined for not having doors or mirrors?
I have been stopped while not having doors, but it was a ride check. All I got were compliments lol. I did buy temporary mirrors that go in the hinge when the doors are off - only because I prefer the side mirrors (what else ya gonna grab as you go out the side right?).

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Those look great and I like that they are similar to the position and size of standard mirrors. Bet they're far more solid than most hinge mounted mirrors

I just hate that they need tools to install and remove. I'd much rather a permanently installed cowl mounted bracket that the mirror mounts to. Tools take too much time. I've even pushed in the door catches so I can strip it down completely in about eight minutes - like this morning.

Anyone else enjoying the weather naked today? Chilly drive to work this morning but it'll sure be worth it tonight!

OP
OP
Ibshake

Ibshake

First Name
Ibrahim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I have been stopped while not having doors, but it was a ride check. All I got were compliments lol. I did buy temporary mirrors that go in the hinge when the doors are off - only because I prefer the side mirrors (what else ya gonna grab as you go out the side right?).
that’s great to know, now that the weather is better it’ll be good to go naked ;)

KrazyKanuck

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I went doorless this summer in ONT and got pulled over. I know I needed mirrors and the police officer was very good about it. Just "educated me" that I needed mirrors and let me off with a warning.
He also wanted to make sure my dog was properly secured in the jeep. He was.
Sponsored