Sponsored

Door wiring harness bent pins

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Jeep Cares! LOL

FCA just called, told me to pound sand. LOL. Last Jeep for me, and I have had one my whole life.
Sponsored

Melduncan

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Jeep Cares! LOL

FCA just called, told me to pound sand. LOL. Last Jeep for me, and I have had one my whole life.
I am still waiting for them to call me back. They said they were going to contact the dealer. Ugh. So tired of taking my jeep in.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am still waiting for them to call me back. They said they were going to contact the dealer. Ugh. So tired of taking my jeep in.
Dealer saying "user error" and FCA taking that side. $900 fix. Truly amazing. How is one supposed to make sure both male and female ends are PERFECTLY lined up when you can't even see them? Same dealer telling me my steering is fine, and FCA siding with them there as well. Never again.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Door wiring harness bent pins imageproxy

Cannon plugs are the answer, but you have got to have the tools (pin crimpers, insertion/extraction tools) and know how to install them. They are also pricey. Can be bought with 2 pins all the way up to over a hundred (135 pins is the max I've ever worked with). You can still bend pins, but its way harder with the alignment keys built in, and individual pins can be removed/ replaced easily if damaged (highly unlikely in this application).

Last edited:

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
Has the connector changed on the newer model years?

Sponsored

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S Billet Silver
No they haven’t changed it. My JLU has 500 miles on it and I took doors off for first time and put them back on and now my pins are bent and after three attempts to straighten myself they are still bending. Have appointment at the dealer tomorrow. This sucks. The connector looks mangled now. They better not say it’s my fault. I did everything by the book and watched at least 2 videos about how to do everything properly.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No they haven’t changed it. My JLU has 500 miles on it and I took doors off for first time and put them back on and now my pins are bent and after three attempts to straighten myself they are still bending. Have appointment at the dealer tomorrow. This sucks. The connector looks mangled now. They better not say it’s my fault. I did everything by the book and watched at least 2 videos about how to do everything properly.
100% your fault. That is what I was told. Even Jeep Cares to me to F off. Unreal! Keep us posted!

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Door wiring harness bent pins imageproxy

Cannon plugs are the answer, but you have got to have the tools (insertion/extraction) and know how to install them. They are also pricey. Can be bought with 2 pins all the way up to over a hundred (135 pins is the max I've ever worked with). You can still bend pins, but its way harder with the alignment keys built in, and individual pins can be removed/ replaced easily if damaged (highly unlikely in this application).
^^^this^^^
and don’t use the lever to force the halves back together. Take your time and you can feel the resistance if something is not aligned. Also, alignment is a little easier if you detach the vehicle side from the chassis. It allows you to look for a problem before you reconnect.

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
100% your fault. That is what I was told. Even Jeep Cares to me to F off. Unreal! Keep us posted!
Well all they said so far is they “think the problem is further up the harness” so maybe that’s a good thing in terms of them trying to say it’s my fault. I will go ape shit if they do say it’s my fault. I did this by the book and if their mechanism has too much play and misaligns when plugged in there is no way that’s my fault. I should have another update on Monday.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
This is why I have never had my doors off, if these connectors are damaged this easily that’s BS.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Can you buy the OEM connectors? Could make a jumper with a more robust cannon plug in between for use when pulling the doors.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
they claimed it was a $1500 repair b/c the whole door needed to come apart

JeepfromBMW

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got my Jeep back today after being in the shop for 3 days because of this. They said they were doing me a favor and covering the “re-pinning repair” under warranty even though the paperwork shows a TSB mentioned meaning they know this is a common issue.

The worry I have is that the pins may be fine now but the female side of the connector has some deformities in the plastic that guides the pins into place. And the whole connection has way too much play for the zero tolerance needed for the pins to line up perfectly male to female.

The techs had gone home for the day when I picked it up but im going to go back and have one of them unplug and plug it back in front of me so I can show them the female end deformities and see if they can successfully plug it back in repeatedly. I’ll watch their technique.

Jeep Wrangler JL Door wiring harness bent pins 01D7F4D5-2B84-4F4D-9160-8330BC573B16

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen countless vids of taking the connectors apart but none putting them back together, I know lots here have taken there doors off and back on many times with no issues but I’m honestly afraid of doing it as the horror stories I have heard on bent pins or pins that get pulled from the connector.

L06An_5

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Wheeler JLU
New 2021 in Jan... First time I pulled the doors on and off, earlier in the season, the drivers side pins bent and the clip handle broke. I was able to straighten them and everything works but I've taken to leaving the doors off as much as possible. When I took it in for an engine check, valve tap noise, I brought the connector up and the intake technician acknowledged the problem. No other comment...

For a vehicle that has ALWAYS popularized taking the doors off, and this is my 4th Jeep no problems prior, they need to redesign this garbage connector. In a recent article Christian Meunier commented that Jeep listens to the community... Well the need to listen and fix this...
Sponsored