Door wiring harness bent pins

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have seen countless vids of taking the connectors apart but none putting them back together, I know lots here have taken there doors off and back on many times with no issues but I’m honestly afraid of doing it as the horror stories I have heard on bent pins or pins that get pulled from the connector.
I’ve taken my doors off dozens of times. Take your time and there is nothing to fear. Like all things Jeep, I’m sure there are QC anomalies that are causing the unlucky some grief.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve taken my doors off dozens of times. Take your time and there is nothing to fear. Like all things Jeep, I’m sure there are QC anomalies that are causing the unlucky some grief.
Maybe I should have taken them off while it was under warranty 😉 so if something we’re to happen now it would be on me.

Warlocke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going through this nightmare myself.

My remote proximity system wasn't functioning, after I had my doors off.

So, the dealership decided to replace the driver's door handle assembly.

The problem went away, until I had my doors off again.

Now, my remote proximity, remote start and blind spot monitoring systems no longer function.

Jwisdom

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Solar consultant
I just had this issue as well, didnt know it at first just got the auto start/ stop service light and took it in. They just automatically switch out my batteries and said they were dead, which they were fine before hand, and after that didnt fix it they said they got a code for the door lock. cleared that code and called me to pick it up said it was good... NOT light was on soon as i picked it up, and now my dirver door lock didnt work at all. So i did more research and looked at the jeep myself and found bent pins in 10 mins or less. Didnt change out 2 good batteries to do it either @JeepCares if this is strictly a driver door harness that is failing this should be covered under warranty shouldn't it? i have the jeep going back in on monday we shall see

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just had this issue as well, didnt know it at first just got the auto start/ stop service light and took it in. They just automatically switch out my batteries and said they were dead, which they were fine before hand, and after that didnt fix it they said they got a code for the door lock. cleared that code and called me to pick it up said it was good... NOT light was on soon as i picked it up, and now my dirver door lock didnt work at all. So i did more research and looked at the jeep myself and found bent pins in 10 mins or less. Didnt change out 2 good batteries to do it either @JeepCares if this is strictly a driver door harness that is failing this should be covered under warranty shouldn't it? i have the jeep going back in on monday we shall see
@Jwisdom

I'd be thankful that the Service Dept. changed out the 2 batteries on your 2018 JL.

Those two batteries, even if your's load tested aok, were at the end of their life cycle...

Yes, I hear you about the bent pins. Common problem.... but this time they got you $700 worth of batteries & install of same (at no cost to you).... you'd soon be replacing yourself and probably on your dime as your 2018 is soon coming out of warranty.

Sponsored

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I had zero issues with my 2018 JLU and took off the doors a lot. With my 2021 JT, the pins bent the 3rd and 4th times I put the doors back on. Fixed the 3rd time under warranty and I was even extra careful the 4th time. They mentioned they may have to order me a new harness. Seeing too many issues. Should probably be a TSB.

A new issue popped up the 4th time that didn't happen before. Autopark is disabled and screen says Start/Stop not available - service start/stop.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We're happy you mentioned us here, Jwisdom. Sadly, since we are not trained technicians, we cannot speculate on your warranty inquiry. However, if you are currently working with a dealer toward repairs, let us know in private message and we can support you while there!

Kate
Jeep Cares

Warz2k4

First Name
RIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I had zero issues with my 2018 JLU and took off the doors a lot. With my 2021 JT, the pins bent the 3rd and 4th times I put the doors back on. Fixed the 3rd time under warranty and I was even extra careful the 4th time. They mentioned they may have to order me a new harness. Seeing too many issues. Should probably be a TSB.

A new issue popped up the 4th time that didn't happen before. Autopark is disabled and screen says Start/Stop not available - service start/stop.

What's the cause of this? i have the same issue. I had doors repainted due to corrosion at dealer.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
What's the cause of this? i have the same issue. I had doors repainted due to corrosion at dealer.
I'm assuming it's due to bent pins. I have not had time to take it in.

Sponsored

Trader979

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I know this is an old thread but the connector is defective. There is a plastic sleeve inside the connector that is supposed to protect the pins when connecting the plugs. When the plugs are pushed together the sleeve gets pushed all the way into the plug and fails to drop during the unconnecting process. The plugs are made my yazaki. I have a call into them to see what the issue is. This is a warranty issue, not user error.

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
So how does one remove the door harness to prevent this from occurring?

TheNewGuy

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 door
So how does one remove the door harness to prevent this from occurring?
Make sure the plugs are lined up square before pushing them together

ScottMA64

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2dr
Had this problem recently. Right door mirror would not tilt up/down. Dealer found bent pins. Repaired under warranty.
Sponsored