Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

JL WRANGLER DOOR REMOVAL

Tools Needed

• Torx #T50 Bit
  • Torx #T40 Bit
  • Ratchet
  • Torque Wrench

Front Door Removal and Reinstall (2-Door and 4-Door Models)

1. To prevent any window damage and to help make it easier to carry your doors, be sure to roll down the glass windows before you start removing your doors.

2. Use a Torx #T50 bit to remove the hinge pin screws from the upper and lower outside hinges.
NOTE: There are special holes in the cargo tray under your rear trunk floor where you can store these hinge pin screws and nuts.

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-1.jpg

3. Use a Torx #T40 bit to remove the screw from the metal door check.

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-2.jpg

4. Remove the plastic access panel (which houses your door wiring) under your dash by sliding the plastic panel along the door frame until the tabs detach.
NOTE: Do not pry back the panel because it will break. Make sure to slide it off instead.

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-3.jpg

5. Unlock the now exposed wiring harness by pulling up on the red locking tab. The wiring harness and locking tab are shown in the photo below.

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-4.jpg

6. Next, push and hold down the black security tab under the wiring harness and lift the harness (white lever) into the open position.

7. With the wiring harness now open, pull downward on the wiring connector to unplug it. Store the writing connector in your lower door basket.

8. The door is now ready to be removed. With the door open, lift the door until their hinge pins clear the hinges.

9. To reinstall the door(s), perform the previous steps in the opposite order.
NOTE: The upper hinge has a longer pin, which can be used to assist in guiding the door into place when reinstalling.
NOTE: Hinge pin can break if overtightened during door reinstall (Max Torque: 10 N·m / 7.5 ft· lb).

Rear Door Removal and Reinstall (4-Door Model)

1. To prevent any window damage and to help make it easier to carry your doors, be sure to roll down the glass windows before you start removing your doors.

2. Slide your front seats to the forward most position for easier access to the rear door jam and wiring access panel.

3. Use a Torx #T50 bit to remove the hinge pin screws from the upper and lower outside hinges.
NOTE: There are special holes in the cargo tray under your rear trunk floor where you can store these hinge pin screws and nuts.

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-5.jpg

4. Use a Torx #T40 bit to remove the screw from the metal door check.

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-5.jpg

5. Locate the plastic wiring access door/panel at bottom of the B-pillar and pry open door/panel (as shown in photo below).

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-7.jpg

6. Unplug the now exposed wiring connector by squeezing the tab on the base of the wiring harness (as shown by the arrow in the photo above) and pull down to unplug the wiring harness. Store the wiring hardness in the door basket.

7. The door is now ready to be removed. With the door open, lift the door until their hinge pins clear the hinges.

To reinstall the door(s), perform the previous steps in the opposite order.
NOTE: The upper hinge has a longer pin, which can be used to assist in guiding the door into place when reinstalling.
NOTE: Hinge pin can break if overtightened during door reinstall (Max Torque: 10 N·m / 7.5 ft· lb).

JL-Wrangler-Door-Removal-6.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Seems very straight forward :clap:

And really glad there's metal door checks now. Wonder if it's single or double stage (opening points).

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Seems very straight forward :clap:

And really glad there's metal door checks now. Wonder if it's single or double stage (opening points).
Two stage - the door check will hold the door at half open and then fully open. :like:

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Apologies if this info has been posted elsewhere, but approximately how much does one of these doors weigh? n00b here just trying to guesstimate if it's a one or multi-person job (obviously strengths vary among people).

Sponsored

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
Apologies if this info has been posted elsewhere, but approximately how much does one of these doors weigh? n00b here just trying to guesstimate if it's a one or multi-person job (obviously strengths vary among people).
Previous generation (JKU) doors weight were 62.2 lbs (front) 46.4 lbs (rear).

We don’t know how much JLU doors weigh yet but they are aluminum construction now so I’d expect they should be lighter.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Previous generation (JKU) doors weight were 62.2 lbs (front) 46.4 lbs (rear).

We don’t know how much JLU doors weigh yet but they are aluminum construction now so I’d expect they should be lighter.
Thanks for the quick response! OK, I can do it myself but a beer-buddy would help, good to know. :)

GpaDawg

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
I stopped at dealership today for recall on cruise control. While I was there I asked about how to kill the dome lights on my JLU. He had no idea. He thought it was in the settings on screen but couldn’t find it. He said he thought it was changed from the jk’s But couldn’t find it on his computer. Anyone find a fix for this on the JLs yet?

ParthianShot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I stopped at dealership today for recall on cruise control. While I was there I asked about how to kill the dome lights on my JLU. He had no idea. He thought it was in the settings on screen but couldn’t find it. He said he thought it was changed from the jk’s But couldn’t find it on his computer. Anyone find a fix for this on the JLs yet?
Is your dome light staying on? If so, slide the dimmer wheel down a little bit. When it’s all the way up, the dome light stays on. Also, weird thread to ask this question in.
Sponsored