Sponsored

Door pin guides and bushings

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Has anyone tried this or know about it. I’d like to do it if it’s worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/Bushing-Removal-Wrangler-2007-2020-Stainless/dp/B07WCNMH23
Those are ABS plastic. Some old-timers (and I) use these Delrin ones by Kentrol:
Jeep Wrangler JL Door pin guides and bushings 20201204_142805

Those gnarly ones are the takeoffs; the actual bushings are shiny and pretty as you'd expect. Just don't expect the old bushings to come come out super easy. You'll most likely need to break the paint around the top of some of them. It's not difficult though.

The Kentrol ones are more expensive, but like anything else nowadays, I'm sure there are cheaper knockoffs out there.

They don't come with the hinge pin guides either, but those are cheap by themselves.

One thing to note: on the JL, the top pin is already longer by design, to help you mount your doors. Not just the pin, but the actual length of threading. All the ones that I see for sale are the same length pins, meaning that when you attach them, the top pin will end up with 3/4 inch or so of exposed threading. You wouldn't see it when the doors are on, but they'll be there, happily filling with water and corrosion. I'd stick some grease in them.

Kentrol sells a pair labeled for top and bottom that are different lengths, but you'd need four pair, and pay a silly price.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Not necessarily the same, but I put Delrin hinge liners on my old TJ. The metal liners had totally rusted/corroded away, and they wouldn't push out with the tool either. I had to drill them out, but once I put those new liners in the doors lifted out easily. Totally worth it on that Jeep anyway.

I haven't tried taking my doors off on my JLU since I just got it, but I'll see what it's like next spring :)

Ttaylor

First Name
Terez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2020 Sahara
I did this on my jk and it put the doors out of alignment and water would leak through the top of the doors. I tried correcting it but never got it quite right. The doors did come off easier though.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I put white lube on the door pins and even the tube door pins. The doors slip right out of the hinges like butter
Sponsored