Sponsored

Door Lock Cylinder Removal?

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR , 2017 Ram 2500, 1990 YJ
So I scored some half doors, taking them apart to prep so my buddy can paint them. Anywho, I have no earthly idea how to get the lock cylinder out of the front doors? I’ve only really worked with 90’s and older vehicle doors so this is new to me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Well, I answered my own question about 15 seconds after I posted. One screw removed and bingo. Party on Wayne!
I got some lock cores and going to key my half doors I got off someone. I was going to do a video or pics at least to show how to do it; its pretty easy but also impatients can really screw you up. There are a couple parts that once you install them there is no undoing what you've done. If you need any help before I get around to making a post about it, send me a message and I can help.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I got some lock cores and going to key my half doors I got off someone. I was going to do a video or pics at least to show how to do it; its pretty easy but also impatients can really screw you up. There are a couple parts that once you install them there is no undoing what you've done. If you need any help before I get around to making a post about it, send me a message and I can help.
I am possibly going to be in the same situation; I have a line on a pair of doors if I can make it happen....

Any info about re-keying would be awesome, I'm kind of a diy type of guy... that being said, if I can just pull the tumblers out of the cylinder and have the locks function for any key, I'm fine with that too... it just seems like something I'd go to lock or unlock out of habit and would irritate me if it didn't turn, but, the locks on half doors are kind of pointless to me.

I am going to need to completely disassemble the doors for paint, so tips there would be a huge boon.

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I am possibly going to be in the same situation; I have a line on a pair of doors if I can make it happen....

Any info about re-keying would be awesome, I'm kind of a diy type of guy... that being said, if I can just pull the tumblers out of the cylinder and have the locks function for any key, I'm fine with that too... it just seems like something I'd go to lock or unlock out of habit and would irritate me if it didn't turn, but, the locks on half doors are kind of pointless to me.

I am going to need to completely disassemble the doors for paint, so tips there would be a huge boon.
I've been super busy and with some upcoming things I won't get to this until late August. But I can tell you keying the lock core is easy if you're careful. If you aren't good about minute details then you could accidentally set the wrong core combo. The blank lock cores come with everything you need to key a lock core and I don't believe you can get the bits or the pin lock w/o buying the blank core. 68384449AB - If you haven't worked with @AllMoparParts.com yet, you should start. They're a forum sponsor and best place to get OEM stuff.

basically for a core to rotate (to unlock), all the tumblers (pins, pieces, etc) need to be flush with the housing or they'll stop the rotation. With Jeep key there is a 7 pins IIRC, 4 on top and 3 on the bottom. And I think jeep only has 4 different pins for each position (this means there is 4^7 combos or ~16,000 combos). When decoding your key make sure you have the springs in there to not get a false positive. Once you figure out what you think is the right combo, test it a couple times to make sure the pins are flush because once you put in the pin lock I don't believe the pin lock is designed to be removed and reinstall, its a press fit/crush fit item IIRC.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I've been super busy and with some upcoming things I won't get to this until late August. But I can tell you keying the lock core is easy if you're careful. If you aren't good about minute details then you could accidentally set the wrong core combo. The blank lock cores come with everything you need to key a lock core and I don't believe you can get the bits or the pin lock w/o buying the blank core. 68384449AB - If you haven't worked with @AllMoparParts.com yet, you should start. They're a forum sponsor and best place to get OEM stuff.

basically for a core to rotate (to unlock), all the tumblers (pins, pieces, etc) need to be flush with the housing or they'll stop the rotation. With Jeep key there is a 7 pins IIRC, 4 on top and 3 on the bottom. And I think jeep only has 4 different pins for each position (this means there is 4^7 combos or ~16,000 combos). When decoding your key make sure you have the springs in there to not get a false positive. Once you figure out what you think is the right combo, test it a couple times to make sure the pins are flush because once you put in the pin lock I don't believe the pin lock is designed to be removed and reinstall, its a press fit/crush fit item IIRC.
While I wait for my half doors to get painted, I tinkered a bit with the lock cylinder that is keyed for the wrong key. Try as I might to "unkey" it, I was unable to... I did manage to pull one of they pins out with some needle nose pliers through the little window, but ultimately, since I had no chance of removing the backside pins I ended up just busting off the wing at the back and prying off the faceplate to be able to pull it open and see what I would be working with. If I had the original key, there was a slim chance (maybe with a dremel) I could have turned the lock and shaved off the pins and reused the cylinder for my key... but, yeah.. mostly a lost cause. At least they're not too expensive.

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392, 2024 JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm in the process of rekeying a set of half doors as well. Did you ever get around to putting together a video? Is the keying process anything like keying the Mopar keyed gas cap?

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
I'm in the process of rekeying a set of half doors as well. Did you ever get around to putting together a video? Is the keying process anything like keying the Mopar keyed gas cap?

Pretty much identical... but shortcuts can be taken. I took photos and was going to do a write up on the forum, but taking pics that would show how to do it got a bit hard to do w/o revealing my key combo to the world. Being someone who hobbies in lockpicking, I did not want to give people my Jeeps key code. So I never did it.

That is a good video. His process is very slow, methodical and a good way for someone who doesn't know keys at all to perform this. I looked at my key, pins and how much each pin was displaced and w/o measuring and just eyeballing I was able to get all but 2 in my second shot and then those 2 were easy to get right on the 3rd try. So from my limited knowledge of keys I shortcutted his process by skipping pins that I knew wouldn't work and just kept track of my code as I went instead of doing pin #s serially.

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty much identical... but shortcuts can be taken. I took photos and was going to do a write up on the forum, but taking pics that would show how to do it got a bit hard to do w/o revealing my key combo to the world. Being someone who hobbies in lockpicking, I did not want to give people my Jeeps key code. So I never did it.

That is a good video. His process is very slow, methodical and a good way for someone who doesn't know keys at all to perform this. I looked at my key, pins and how much each pin was displaced and w/o measuring and just eyeballing I was able to get all but 2 in my second shot and then those 2 were easy to get right on the 3rd try. So from my limited knowledge of keys I shortcutted his process by skipping pins that I knew wouldn't work and just kept track of my code as I went instead of doing pin #s serially.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's sort of what I figured. Got the part number 68384449AB for the cylinder from the dealer but they couldn't confirm if it came with the pins to key it. I may attempt to put together an abbreviated video that doesn't expose my key combination to help someone else out.

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the quick reply. That's sort of what I figured. Got the part number 68384449AB for the cylinder from the dealer but they couldn't confirm if it came with the pins to key it. I may attempt to put together an abbreviated video that doesn't expose my key combination to help someone else out.
Door rekey video

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bril

First Name
Bill TxRedRubi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you order the lock from? This is a great video, thanks! Wish I had seen it before I paid a shop to replace my lock.
My go to is https://www.yourmoparparts.com/ but that's mainly because they are 1 state over. There are lots of dealers selling online just Google that Mopar part number.

jwilson2899

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition, 2004 Wrangler Unlimited
Door rekey video
Thanks for this, I just rekeyed my half doors, and the video made it super easy, especially the whole left and right tumbler as that was new for me. I've only ever done older cars where they have numbered tumblers.
Sponsored