Door Closes Sub-Flush - Paint Damage

K2500Z71

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKR
Exact same thing happening on my 2 door Rubi. Doors sit just a tad deeper than flush.

57CFA36E-7E8C-4C2E-B91B-18F445D7AC9E.jpeg
Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Anyine figure this out yet? I noticed the same marks on my White 2019 JLUR, only has 900 miles. However I don't think the door is actually rubbing. There's a good 1/16 gap between the tub and the door. Plenty of room to slide a piece of paper in the gap and never have it touch the door even when closing it. But my door sits flush so I'm really confused what's causing them. I took a clay bar to the jamb this evening and was able to rub away some of marking.

Turbo_punkn

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Has anyone gotten this covered under warranty?? Just noticed mine is doing it too.

Lithograph

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Mine did it also. I took a torx drive to the striker plate on the body and adjusted it "ever so slightly" toward the outside of the Jeep, and the door now fits flush instead of being sucked in a little. From what I can tell, when the door was closed, it didn't rub, but when it was SLAMMED shut, it would hit, thus causing the marks.

It did it on both the driver and passenger side from the factory, with the passenger side strike plate being way too far in, and it was worse.

When you adjust the strike plate/latch, there is a nut welded to the other side of the metal there (not sure how to describe that), and you can actually move the strike plate back and forth for proper adjustment. It worked well, but pisses me off that it wasn't aligned from the factory correctly. Now I have gray scuff marks on my otherwise shiny white paint.

EDIT: Oh, and slight adjustments shouldn't cause any leaks, but in my case I too a water hose to the closed door and tried to make it leak. Luckily, it didn't. Yay! (It's the little things.)

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
For the areas where the paint is rubbed off. I would touch up and cover with some clear Paint Protection Film after re-aligning door.
I just checked, and I'm seeing similar rub marks on my 2 front door jambs. Rears are ok. That bead is not soft, but has the texture of maybe epoxy. I'm wondering if can grind down the contact spots rather than mess with aligning the doors.
No, the marks are clearly from the bead around the door. I can tell not only by the location of the marks in respect to one another, but they also have a perfectly mirrored shape from contact.
I noticed these marks on my front Jeep doors the other day after I did a good wash. They are definitely caused by that bead rubbing the area. It is not the weatherstripping. The paint had me been worn all the way off, so I used some polish to get rid of the scuffs. I cut some small strips of 3m clear film and put them in the spots. I didn’t do anything to the bead on the door. We’ll see how it holds up.

Sponsored

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2.0T eTorque
Going to Bump this older thread. Just noticed this on my new JL 2 door. Drivers side already scratched up pretty bad with only 250 miles on the Jeep. Has anyone brought this to the dealer and got it fixed? or is this just something we have to live with? Don't really want my dealer to start messing with the paint. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

OP
OP
RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
Going to Bump this older thread. Just noticed this on my new JL 2 door. Drivers side already scratched up pretty bad with only 250 miles on the Jeep. Has anyone brought this to the dealer and got it fixed? or is this just something we have to live with? Don't really want my dealer to start messing with the paint. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
I took mine to the dealer to have the repair quoted, but never heard anything back. If I was afraid of it rusting I would definitely be more on top of this, but for now its not a huge priority. But while I was at the dealer he said that because it was evident that the doors had been removed (Not sure what his proof was, but yes, they have been) that it wouldn't be covered. That's just straight up BS, the doors don't change alignment every time you take them off and put them back on. I'd argue that the tolerance of the door position is extremely tight. This is definitely a build issue, I just haven't gotten around to chasing down my dealer to take my Jeep for a week so they can fix it.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took mine to the dealer to have the repair quoted, but never heard anything back. If I was afraid of it rusting I would definitely be more on top of this, but for now its not a huge priority. But while I was at the dealer he said that because it was evident that the doors had been removed (Not sure what his proof was, but yes, they have been) that it wouldn't be covered. That's just straight up BS, the doors don't change alignment every time you take them off and put them back on. I'd argue that the tolerance of the door position is extremely tight. This is definitely a build issue, I just haven't gotten around to chasing down my dealer to take my Jeep for a week so they can fix it.
Thx for response. I kinda figured that unless there is a TSB or something of the sort each dealership will kinda say and do what they want. I had a bad experience with my 2013 Rubicon with them repainting some spots and making it worse with poor blending ect. Really wanted to avoid any dealer paint work at all costs but this is pretty frustrating that at 250 miles its wearing through the paint. Even would be skeptical about them making adjustments to the hinges and on my JK Rubi they gouged the paint while doing so.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I adjusted the door stop outwards about 2mm and it fixed the issue. The door sits flush and no leaks either.

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
My dealer told me they wouldn’t cover it and quoted $350 to do paint repair. My Jeep is lifted and such and they blamed it on off-road use or because I had removed the doors before.

I’d say they aren’t a good dealer to start with, so I probably should have taken it to my preferred dealer. Bad dealer is just much more conveniently located to my workplace.

AlexJeepVB

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So on mine I used some Scratch X and it polished out most of it. Hopefully the seam sealer that's hitting will flatten over time and it wont get worse. It looked worse than it was initially. Time will tell.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I can see a few spots of bare metal on mine, scratch x won't help that. I'll try to get mine to the dealership and see what they say. My rear doors are ok, it's the fronts that are the issue. I've never removed the doors so at least they can't use that as an excuse.

OP
OP
RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
My dealer told me they wouldn’t cover it and quoted $350 to do paint repair. My Jeep is lifted and such and they blamed it on off-road use or because I had removed the doors before.

I’d say they aren’t a good dealer to start with, so I probably should have taken it to my preferred dealer. Bad dealer is just much more conveniently located to my workplace.
Taking the doors off CANNOT change where the door closes too. That position is controlled by the hinges, and the door latch.

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Taking the doors off CANNOT change where the door closes too. That position is controlled by the hinges, and the door latch.
Completely agree. I argued with them pretty good about it. I’ve decided to never go back to that dealer as they have always been a pain. They are just the most convenient to my workplace.

I’m too busy to deal with all the back and forth and likely won’t try to get it fixed again. Dealers suck
Sponsored