Sponsored

Donut half doors cancelled. Replaced with classic halfsies.

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
https://jalopnik.com/the-jeep-wrangler-jls-donut-half-doors-are-not-actually-1823860550

s3rcfo4tvv5bjt8jhcu7.png

When Jeep first debuted the new 2018 Jeep Wrangler last November, the brand showed off a sexy red two-door Rubicon with strange half-doors that had holes in them. If you actually liked those, I have some bad news: those doors aren’t happening.

The good news for diehard off-road enthusiasts, though, is that half-doors themselves, which aren’t currently on Jeep’s JL configurator, are indeed on their way, with a company representative telling me:

Half-doors will be available starting in 2019 but will not be the “donut door” style shown in LA. It’ll be the half-door design similar to previous versions.

When I asked why the “donut doors” weren’t going to be offered, the rep said the doors were “always a prototype,” and that the “classic” flat-panel style half-doors ended up winning out in the end.

To be honest, I’m totally cool with that. I don’t really get the point of that hole in the middle of the door, I don’t think it looks particularly great, and if I wanted a lighter half-door, I’d snag a tubular one. Though, maybe if I got some wheel time in a Jeep with the “donut doors” I’d think differently.

In any case, regular half-doors, like the ones on the JK shown below, look lovely, and are almost certainly cheaper and easier to manufacturer:

fgs8fufhurrulrhs3ykx.png

I’m looking forward to seeing how those look on the new JL, and learning whether they’ll use a zipper like on the JK, or some sort of “tongue and groove” design like what’s on the new JL’s soft-top (though I’m not sure how they’d set that up).
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Ok, to clarify - I realize I may have been the only person that likes the window in the half doors (because it is a window, not a hole people), but I did. I really liked it.

I absolutely plan to do halfsies on my JT, and I was really looking forward to those... Oh well, I’m sure Strike Force Zebra or someone else will make some bad@$$ halfs I can swap in.

Steve_South

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
isuzu dmx, prado landcruiser
hmmm...are you guys sure we are getting those engines or those two doors rubicons? lol..next thing..ooh that diesel? we werent serious about that either..2 liter nooo, we are just gonna add the hybrid battery to the pentastar...and no off road pages ever again.

Sponsored

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Well that sucks. I wanted those!

Sponsored