Sponsored

Donut half doors cancelled. Replaced with classic halfsies.

FunWagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I had half doors for ten years on my 4 door JK, and I love them. It doesn’t bother me that I have to zipper them open. In fact I love it. You can unzip the front only to channel air in. In the winter you don’t get ice on the plastic windows... you only need to worry about ice on the windshield (only glass all around). I never had problems with heat or AC retention or with water leaking. When it’s nice outside, I easily pop the four upper windows out and put in the trunk, and roll the rear window up, which makes a world of a difference to the ride, even with the top still on.

I can’t believe how hard it has become to find JKs with half doors over the years, and now we need to wait a year for them to be available on the JLs.

To me it makes a world of a difference to have permanent half doors. In fact I’m on the opposite side... it is hard for me to understand the appeal of full doors on a Jeep. It’s like having a convertible. For me it is less about the removable top and more about the open air feel all around with the 360 view. I’ll admit I prefer to leave the top on. Anyways... everybody’s got their own thing and I guess that’s what we love about the Jeep.... that it’s configurable.

This is my Jeep and how I like to ride it on a nice day (note: someone online photoshopped my door handles off)
https://goo.gl/images/bgHwMh

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
it is hard for me to understand the appeal of full doors on a Jeep. It’s like having a convertible. For me it is less about the removable top and more about the open air feel all around with the 360 view. I’ll admit I prefer to leave the top on.
Nice ride and I'm 100% with you but in the occasional road rage situations, I'm sure my wife has been happy I had full doors. You see, in Australia people aren't allowed to have guns so people take liberties in expressing themselves even if you're minding your own business but not driving like others. I mean little things like sounding the horn to alert some idiot can land you in hot waters... I'd hate to be a driver of a small car here.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I can’t believe how hard it has become to find JKs with half doors over the years, and now we need to wait a year for them to be available on the JLs.
Half doors are kinda rare because you give up a lot to have them (noise, weather, being able to roll them down while driving, etc) and you can always remove the full doors completely for the 360 view.
Once you option for them it’s impossible to get full steel doors again if it doesn’t work out. They do look good with all the windows out.

Honestly I’m kinda surprised they’re going to offer them at all. I’ve only seen maybe 3 half door JK’s
In 10 years. Their market share has to be pretty marginal.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Nice ride and I'm 100% with you but in the occasional road rage situations, I'm sure my wife has been happy I had full doors. You see, in Australia people aren't allowed to have guns so people take liberties in expressing themselves even if you're minding your own business but not driving like others. I mean little things like sounding the horn to alert some idiot can land you in hot waters... I'd hate to be a driver of a small car here.
It's true. An armed society is a polite society. Lol.

I had 1/2 doors and soft uppers on my YJ and loved it. I've got soft upper and lower doors on the JK and love it. I do like the hard doors in the winter, but I could do just fine with the soft uppers. I'm not sure what the big deal was with the donut hole. You'd hardly be able to see out of it, anyway. I could care less about its demise. I'm irked, though, that FCA spent any time at all on that development when they could have put the effort into getting traditional half doors to market.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Mercedes and Range Rover did it. Why can't Jeep? This will eliminate the entire half door aftermarket.
mercedes-benz-concept-coupe-suv-officially-revealed-photo-gallery-80268_3.jpg
rr_evoque_convertible_corris_052.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mercedes and Range Rover did it. Why can't Jeep? This will eliminate the entire half door aftermarket.
mercedes-benz-concept-coupe-suv-officially-revealed-photo-gallery-80268_3.jpg
rr_evoque_convertible_corris_052.jpg
Those look like regular car doors. I doubt those are removable. Please elaborate.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Those look like regular car doors. I doubt those are removable. Please elaborate.
I believe he is just saying that the top and side window supports on full doors should be removed and the soft/hard top be the sealing surface for the window, like most convertible sports cars. I'm not sure the wrangler's window size and shape supports that, and they would likely flop around a bit.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I believe he is just saying that the top and side window supports on full doors should be removed and the soft/hard top be the sealing surface for the window, like most convertible sports cars. I'm not sure the wrangler's window size and shape supports that, and they would likely flop around a bit.
Ok, I see. Yeah, there isn't enough structure around it.

There have been aftermarket upper hard half doors that go on top of factory lower hard doors. I'd still be happy with soft uppers, though.

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
Ok, I see. Yeah, there isn't enough structure around it.

There have been aftermarket upper hard half doors that go on top of factory lower hard doors. I'd still be happy with soft uppers, though.
I'd be very happy if they made uppers with sliding windows.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
Not just convertibles; MANY cars have/had frameless doors (Subie Impreza used to, every BMW coupe ever, VW CC, Mercedes coupes, various Minis, etc.). I didn't particularly like them on our Subie; you end up getting finger prints all over the windows, and the windows rattle more.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not just convertibles; MANY cars have/had frameless doors (Subie Impreza used to, every BMW coupe ever, VW CC, Mercedes coupes, various Minis, etc.). I didn't particularly like them on our Subie; you end up getting finger prints all over the windows, and the windows rattle more.
Those cars aren't bumping, grinding, and flexing off road like a Jeep. I'd have reservations about them.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
It’s been a few months I’m still highly disappointed doughnut half doors are cancelled

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
The half door sills would have to be much higher (like the full doors) in order for the windows to fully retract.
Sponsored