Sponsored

Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall!

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler WILLYS 2021
Lol, time for a dual battery kit. ;)
I know, Genesis dual kit was in my to-do-one-day folder, just was waiting for our border (CAN/USA) to reopen to save big bucks on shipping here... But now, when I learned I have 48V hybrid battery, I will have to research if the dyal kit will work...
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I know, Genesis dual kit was in my to-do-one-day folder, just was waiting for our border (CAN/USA) to reopen to save big bucks on shipping here... But now, when I learned I have 48V hybrid battery, I will have to research if the dyal kit will work...
Canadian here as well, I know the "brokerage shuffle" game myself.

Genesis will work, too spendy for my tastes but I just ordered Cascadia 4x4 VSS system. Mainly just to use it as a constant trickle charger on the shitty batteries. Lol.

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canadian here as well, I know the "brokerage shuffle" game myself.

Genesis will work, too spendy for my tastes but I just ordered Cascadia 4x4 VSS system. Mainly just to use it as a constant trickle charger on the shitty batteries. Lol.
I know them, they are my "neighbours" that is a great product for solar thing lovers, but also pricey for 85W (https://ca.cascadia4x4.com)...

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I know them, they are my "neighbours" that is a great product for solar thing lovers, but also pricey for 85W (https://ca.cascadia4x4.com)...
Ya, I know the owner, when he was a 19 year old kid going to university he got into offroading and we took him out a bunch of times, we've been friends ever since. Also helped him work on his JKR a lot.

Ya, I got a friend's discount and I have a Rubicon so it wasn't too bad.

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya, I know the owner, when he was a 19 year old kid going to university he got into offroading and we took him out a bunch of times, we've been friends ever since. Also helped him work on his JKR a lot.

Ya, I got a friend's discount and I have a Rubicon so it wasn't too bad.
Can I have your secret code or use your name to get the discount... 😁😁😁

Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
If anyone interested, I just took apart the fuse box and the starting battery/battery tray and used that grommet's tube/channel (snapped the tip to open it first) to run two 10awg and one 8awg gauge wires. Run one 10awg easily, second 10awg with some lube (network cabling lubricant), also relatively easy and the third one the 8awg with heavy lube and with some heat applied to the rubber grommet to make it softer. The three cables were original wires from the ARB dual air compressor which is installed under the seat. As the rubber tube is very tight around my cables, I did not need to seal it, it was self sealing.
On the ARB power wires, I followed the ARB or JK Innovations bracket instructions (one of those) and drilled a hole under the seat (use a drill depth stop - don't nearly puncture your fuel line!!) and ran it underneath the body but above the frame instead of going through the grommet. It was just long enough. I used it last weekend in the snow, still going strong 1.5 years later.

KWC

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
On the ARB power wires, I followed the ARB or JK Innovations bracket instructions (one of those) and drilled a hole under the seat (use a drill depth stop - don't nearly puncture your fuel line!!) and ran it underneath the body but above the frame instead of going through the grommet. It was just long enough. I used it last weekend in the snow, still going strong 1.5 years later.
Is there a downside to this? Was considering running both electrical wires and relocation air hose through drain grommet for ARB twin install.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a downside to this? Was considering running both electrical wires and relocation air hose through drain grommet for ARB twin install.
I’m not a fan of running electric wires under the Jeep, when there are safer options.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
I’m not a fan of running electric wires under the Jeep, when there are safer options.
Mine is still working, despite having taking my ARB electrical wires under the body but above the frame, right by where the fuel line is factory-routed.

Sponsored

mattflo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon
Just wanted to post a couple photos in case someone had a similar need. I wanted to pass two small gauge wires (18) through on the passenger side to install a hardwired battery monitor. I was able to do so without removing the fuse box. Used my tried and true coat hanger approach.
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! IMG_0930
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! IMG_0931

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to post a couple photos in case someone had a similar need. I wanted to pass two small gauge wires (18) through on the passenger side to install a hardwired battery monitor. I was able to do so without removing the fuse box. Used my tried and true coat hanger approach.
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! IMG_0931
I did the same for the trigger wiring for the lights on my ROAM sliders. I chose a location in the rubber boot where no wires existed and kept manipulating/bending the hanger to ensure that it did not hit the OEM wires. No issues at the install or nearly 3 years later.

elliott9

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
I used the grommet based on some threads I found here. Now at least 1 of my AUX switches doesn’t work anymore. After wiring in my Search & Rescue radio, I lost my lights wired to the AUX 2 switch. I decided to stick my camera scope inside the grommet to take a peak. I assumed that the factory would pass the wires straight through, even wrapped in the fabric tape they have on the outside - that IS NOT the case. It is like spaghetti in there!! Now I’m pretty sure that I cut a wire (hopefully only 1) while poking through it with a sharp screwdriver :(

Here is the grommet with my coax and power/ground wires going through:

And inside the grommet:

I hope this saves someone else from this problem. This is going to be a nightmare to try and fix! I’m open to any suggestions.
I wish I had found this threat BEFORE I ran a wire through that grommet. Did the wiring on Sunday and things seemed to go okay. But like you I guess my big screwdriver nicked a wire (or more). Started the engine today to the windshield wipers are on going despite being turned off and the check engine light is on.

Guess I'm in for the same 6 hour adventure you went on. Wish me luck. Any tips you have? I just watched that genesis dual battery video which gives me an idea how to start.

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
To attach the butt connectors, have a crimp tool with a super small head. I had a crappy cheap one that I ground down and it barely fit.

I have this Snap-On one now and it would have likely fit better than my crappy parts store one that’s twice the size.

9F2A1424-9A5C-43D5-A536-B88416B404D5.png

elliott9

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! 20220906_093128
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! 20220906_093135
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! 20220906_095130

It seems my damage is not as straight forward. Exposed the wiring harness and identified the 2 wires from BCM to PDC for the front wipers but found no damage to them. In fact all of the wires look intact. At least that's the case for all the wires I was able to expose which SEEMS to be all that would have been at risk of my screwdriver.

So now I'm not sure what the heck I broke.
Sponsored

Last edited: