Sponsored

Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall!

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
So it's the perfect spot to run wires through but you can't get to it with out all that disassembly?
years ago I asked12b1
Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I saw this way of running a wire and have not had time to look at it.

I don't know what gauge wire you can run and if there is a way to get it to an amp.
They don't show a close up of the wire coming out or where it goes.

JeePM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Is it just my eyes or are there bare wires at where the wiring goes Into the tape?
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! 89B7B057-086A-4214-9EEA-B28AE16595F7

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I managed to snip the TCM bus running my AUX wiring harness through that. I have no clue why those busses aren’t wrapped in a harness.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladaitor Sport S
I saw this way of running a wire and have not had time to look at it.

I don't know what gauge wire you can run and if there is a way to get it to an amp.
They don't show a close up of the wire coming out or where it goes.
If that's the clutch hole on an AT truck as most will use, you can fit 0/4 AWG in there without issue. That grommet hole is massive.

I managed to snip the TCM bus running my AUX wiring harness through that. I have no clue why those busses aren’t wrapped in a harness.
They run bare wires on main harnesses like that then tape them on either end to bundle them once it's all in place. Works better for ensuring junctions end up in the right places before taping it all down when assembling the trucks but IMO it's a cop-out technique to cover up sloppy harness sub-manufacturing.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If that's the clutch hole on an AT truck as most will use, you can fit 0/4 AWG in there without issue. That grommet hole is massive.

They run bare wires on main harnesses like that then tape them on either end to bundle them once it's all in place. Works better for ensuring junctions end up in the right places before taping it all down when assembling the trucks but IMO it's a cop-out technique to cover up sloppy harness sub-manufacturing.
I put that video on the forum for manual trans people and also they can run the power wire as in this Quadratec video.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Live and learn, I used the Quadratec video as a guide and found out when he takes off the negitive from the battery,it does not cut the power to the jeep. I just went out and took off the neg on the battery and notice the power light was on, with the sub, The Quareadec video has it wrong, on the battery.

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
Isn’t that where the clutch would be if you had a manual? For automatics it’s a no brainer to use that hole. Those of us with a stick aren’t so fortunate when it comes to firewall penetrations.
Jeep Wrangler JL Don’t use passenger side grommet to get wires through firewall! B&B penetration

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Live and learn, I used the Quadratec video as a guide and found out when he takes off the negitive from the battery,it does not cut the power to the jeep. I just went out and took off the neg on the battery and notice the power light was on, with the sub, The Quareadec video has it wrong, on the battery.
Noticed that too, when I was trying to work on something. Jeep needs to add a kill switch to their fancy dual battery setup. :)

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler WILLYS 2021
If anyone interested, I just took apart the fuse box and the starting battery/battery tray and used that grommet's tube/channel (snapped the tip to open it first) to run two 10awg and one 8awg gauge wires. Run one 10awg easily, second 10awg with some lube (network cabling lubricant), also relatively easy and the third one the 8awg with heavy lube and with some heat applied to the rubber grommet to make it softer. The three cables were original wires from the ARB dual air compressor which is installed under the seat. As the rubber tube is very tight around my cables, I did not need to seal it, it was self sealing.

Interesting thing and I do not understand at all is that my 2021 JLU WILLYS does NOT HAVE the second battery. Just an empty slot underneath the fuse box...

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
If anyone interested, I just took apart the fuse box and the starting battery/battery tray and used that grommet's tube/channel (snapped the tip to open it first) to run two 10awg and one 8awg gauge wires. Run one 10awg easily, second 10awg with some lube (network cabling lubricant), also relatively easy and the third one the 8awg with heavy lube and with some heat applied to the rubber grommet to make it softer. The three cables were original wires from the ARB dual air compressor which is installed under the seat. As the rubber tube is very tight around my cables, I did not need to seal it, it was self sealing.

Interesting thing and I do not understand at all is that my 2021 JLU WILLYS does NOT HAVE the second battery. Just an empty slot underneath the fuse box...
You have an ETorque motor. It doesn't have an aux battery, it has a 48v "hybrid" battery.

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, 6 gauge here. With thick insulation, and wire loom on the outside. Definitely was not easy to pull through. Definitely couldn't have done it without the battery removed. A smaller wire could be done with the battery in place for sure, but be prepared to play contortionist while you’re trying to locate that hole on the interior side.
I managed to pull 3 wires through, 2 of them 10awg and 1 of 8awg (ARB dual air compressor original power wires). Lots of lubricant and heat gun to soften the rubber... Battery and fuse box removed, of course...

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The second battery is under the main battery, not under the fuse box.
Actually the compartment for the auxilary battery is right underneath the plastic half box that holds the fuse box. I had my eyes and hands on it last night...

Nash_Dj

First Name
Nash
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have an ETorque motor. It doesn't have an aux battery, it has a 48v "hybrid" battery.
Oh, that is the reason. Did not know, thanks very much. I was going crazy, where the hell is my 2nd battery everyone was talking about. It has the full compartment though to hold it. Something like perfect smuggler's compartment now... 😃

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Oh, that is the reason. Did not know, thanks very much. I was going crazy, where the hell is my 2nd battery everyone was talking about. It has the full compartment though to hold it. Something like perfect smuggler's compartment now... 😃
Lol, time for a dual battery kit. ;)
Sponsored