Dometic CFX Fridge

SCASHoverland

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2019JLU
Good Morning. New to the site and new to overlanding. I am leaning toward a Dometic CFX fridge however my local dealer says there is a recall on the electrical systems on these fridges. However when you look at Northridge or Quadratec they are still selling them. So I am confused if there is any issue or not. Anyone have an idea on what’s going on?
Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
does your local dealer not sell Dometic? If so! That might be your issue.

OP
OP
SCASHoverland

SCASHoverland

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2019JLU
does your local dealer not sell Dometic? If so! That might be your issue.
No they are a dealer they were just sent a letter saying that there was a electrical recall.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
No they are a dealer they were just sent a letter saying that there was a electrical recall.
There is a recall and I read the models. It's for motor home type stand up refrigerators. The older models as well. Does not affect our electric coolers for Jeeps/etc.

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the response. What kind of fridge are you running. I am leaning toward the ARB Zero. This being because I cannot seem to find a dometic CFX anywhere
They're very similar. I believe the ARB uses Dometic technology and compressors. Different shapes and handles. I purchased the ARB wiring kit because they match the Dometic product.

I have the CFX40. What's your plan to power the fridge once installed?

OP
OP
SCASHoverland

SCASHoverland

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2019JLU
They're very similar. I believe the ARB uses Dometic technology and compressors. Different shapes and handles. I purchased the ARB wiring kit because they match the Dometic product.

Thought about either running the 12v or doing a hard wire. For a while we are going to mostly be at campsites with electric hookup. Also looking and trying to decide between the Jackery, Goal Zero, or Blackfire

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

Does it draw too much for the 12V outlet in the back?

We are wanting to get one, but we'll probably have a portable 12V generator as well.

Sponsored

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
Thought about either running the 12v or doing a hard wire. For a while we are going to mostly be at campsites with electric hookup. Also looking and trying to decide between the Jackery, Goal Zero, or Blackfire
Is your JLU a Rubicon? These have the power outlet in the back left trim panel that's hot all the time. If not, pick up the wiring kit from ARB or Genesis. If you're not parking for extended periods of time then you should be fine with using the starter battery.

When purchasing the portable generators, bigger is better if you can afford the expense. I've read a dozen threads about these and half wish they had purchased a larger version. For instance, I have the GZ Yeti 400 Lithium. I wish I had picked up the 1k or 1400 instead.

OP
OP
SCASHoverland

SCASHoverland

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2019JLU

We are wanting to get one, but we'll probably have a portable 12V generator as well.
Is your JLU a Rubicon? These have the power outlet in the back left trim panel that's hot all the time. If not, pick up the wiring kit from ARB or Genesis. If you're not parking for extended periods of time then you should be fine with using the starter battery.

When purchasing the portable generators, bigger is better if you can afford the expense. I've read a dozen threads about these and half wish they had purchased a larger version. For instance, I have the GZ Yeti 400 Lithium. I wish I had picked up the 1k or 1400 instead.
I have a JLU Sport S. It has the cold weather package on it. So there is a 12v in the back. I wish I could fork out the expense for the larger ones. I have also looked at Dometics plb40. I am still trying to decide on what fridge to run. I am new to the overlanding/camping world. With so many choices don’t know which way to lean.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase

We are wanting to get one as well, but we'll probably have a portable 12V generator as well.
For overnight it's fine. It doesnt draw enough in an 8 hour period to kill the battery. The jeeps have slightly larger AGM starter batteries than the typical vehicle. Or, like @SCASHoverland said, they have electric hookups at campgrounds so they really only need to power from the starter battery while stopping for gas and such.

In the beginning I used the GZ Yeti 400 Lithium to power my fridge at night and ran the Dometic on 12v power outlets while I was driving so that the GZ could recharge on the 110v outlet behind my console. This is difficult to sustain while parked for more than 24 hours without continuous solar recharging. it's not fun waking up to a fridge at 44 degrees and climbing.

I now have an auxiliary battery dc/dc charger under the Goose Gear floor in back. This is now primary for powering the fridge.

Secondary is the accessory battery with a Genesis dual battery setup under the hood.

Third is the GZ Yeti if the previous two fail.

Fourth is the starter battery. If i get this far something has gone really wrong on my trip!

OP
OP
SCASHoverland

SCASHoverland

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU, 2019JLU
For overnight it's fine. It doesnt draw enough in an 8 hour period to kill the battery. The jeeps have slightly larger AGM starter batteries than the typical vehicle. Or, like @SCASHoverland said, they have electric hookups at campgrounds so they really only need to power from the starter battery while stopping for gas and such.

In the beginning I used the GZ Yeti 400 Lithium to power my fridge at night and ran the Dometic on 12v power outlets while I was driving so that the GZ could recharge on the 110v outlet behind my console. This is difficult to sustain while parked for more than 24 hours without continuous solar recharging. it's not fun waking up to a fridge at 44 degrees and climbing.

I now have an auxiliary battery dc/dc charger under the Goose Gear floor in back. This is now primary for powering the fridge.

Secondary is the accessory battery with a Genesis dual battery setup under the hood.

Third is the GZ Yeti if the previous two fail.

Fourth is the starter battery. If i get this far something has gone really wrong on my trip!
What do you think of the genesis setup. I just couldn’t drop 1200 to start for one of those. Also what dc to dc charger you running.

Overland Productions

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadsupplyco.com
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Vehicle Showcase
I have a JLU Sport S. It has the cold weather package on it. So there is a 12v in the back. I wish I could fork out the expense for the larger ones. I have also looked at Dometics plb40. I am still trying to decide on what fridge to run. I am new to the overlanding/camping world. With so many choices don’t know which way to lean.
Start small. There are dozens of factors that play into power consumption. If your fridge is full to the brim it will run more efficiently. The cold items inside help keep it cold. If you run out and purchase a 75 quart and never fill it up then it sucks more power to keep it cold consistently. Make sense?

When you put groceries in a fridge (electric coolers) try to remove the packaging. For instance, some lunch meats come in a cardboard box and inside is a plastic resealable pouch. The cardboard takes up space so remove it and throw it away. Try to transfer things to zip lock freezer bags. They roll up compact. My girlfriend and I can pack away a weeks worth of food in my 40qt no problem. If I could go back I would buy a larger GZ Yeti and a smaller fridge.
Sponsored