Sponsored

Dometic CFX-40W Fridge

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The Dometic CFX-40W arrived last week and I decided to put it through its paces. I installed an ARB fridge wiring kit to avoid voltage drop and keep the fridge supplied with as much juice as possible.
A466C63B-69D0-4EEA-8E13-33805ADB8B16.jpeg

A59D2907-6E73-4439-B359-383844F2D972.jpeg

Set at 37 degrees Fahrenheit with an outside ambient temperature in the high 70’s to low 80’s the fridge stayed powered for 24 hours on the medium shut off setting. Over the next 4 days I drove the Jeep for roughly 2 hours a day, on the fifth day the ESS service warning came on, and ESS was disabled. The fridge remained powered up and I shut the Jeep down, turned off the fridge, fired the Jeep back up without issue and the warning was gone.

I do have the optional thermal cover and like convenience of the WiFi feature that shows you temperature on your phone as well as let’s you adjust settings.

Easily fits on the driver’s side with the cover for the freedom top squished up against the rear seats. I also have a Trailgater table installed.
5BB2DBDD-8F36-40B5-89FC-E6C09593739A.jpeg

40 bottles of Bud cold chillin’ at home plugged into 120v AC.
CAE72395-81AC-4DDB-8D00-2D4A9DD30BAB.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Purchased the Dometic CFX 40 as well, litterally arrived at my house today on a pallet. Unpacked it, put it in the sleeve and put it in. Did not have time to install the slide today...that will be another day. Powering it with a GoalZero Yeti 1000. Tried on AC for the first day. Set to 36F with outside temps at 90F. Pulled down to temp in just under an hour. After loading with tons of drinks like you did...it was able to maintain its temp quite well. Having to run it on AC on the GZ until a DC adapter arrives in the next few days. I am sure the app will become useful at some point but after quick review, not something I will ever use. Since I am new to these fridge/freezers I am hoping that once the contents of the unit match the desired set point the energy draw will be much less. I know AC is not efficient method of pulling power out of a DC battery but after 6 hours I had drained 50% of my GZ battery. I am sure this is due to the load being warm when I inserted it into the fridge...it had to work hard to keep the temp low. Tomorrow...the load will be a cold transfer from a large fridge into the cfx40 so I am hoping the draw will be far less. Fingers crossed.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
OK... update .... Still running my dometic cfx40 on AC off my GZ Yeti 1000. After 8 hours in the hot SoCal Sun the fridge temp was at a frosty 30F. Thermal load was fully in balance and I had drained less than 1% of battery after 8 hours. Once that DC adapter gets here I am guessing i can run the cfx40 for severals days without an issue. Loving this combo.

JB3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi SQ5, Jeep JLU
Have you ever owned a ARB fridge? How are you finding the Dometic as a comparison?

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Have you ever owned a ARB fridge? How are you finding the Dometic as a comparison?
Apparently Dometic makes ARB’s fridges.

I’m not sure what the style of plug is that unscrews and is hidden under the 12V cigarette adapter, but it plugs directly into the ARB fridge wiring kit and threads on for a secure connection. Dometic’s fridge wiring kit is more expensive and has a few extra features.

Sponsored

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I never owned a ARB fridge. And after doing the research i also found ARB designs the Fridge and Demotic builds it to their spec. So I had to between the ARB 37or CFX 40. I needed something smaller than a CFX 50 or ARB 65. With the soft top I still needed room to shove the bag behind the rear seats. The cost and where I could buy it were also a factor. I needed a place that if something went wrong I could return it locally and or get it serviced. Turns out Camping World sells directly for Dometic so that became the deciding factor along with the overall smaller dimensions of the CFX so thats why I went with it.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Purchased the Slide CFX 3540 for the cfx 40. Now the installation instructions require a 0.5" wooden platform to install it. Anyone built similar platform and if so ... how did they attache it to the floor? If they didn't how was the slide attached? I am thinking the platform is not really needed but I would like to here thoughts of this community on this one.

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
That's a cool addition! I'm planning to buy one before the year ends.

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
There are less expensive options. I was focusing between ARB and Dometic. The cost is high for sure. The proven track records and the recommendations by other overlanders and Jeep peeps, kept me focused on these two brands. ARB and Dometic is a bit more expensive than other brand but the price wasn't the issue. It was ultimately the size, reliability and easy of return and service that made me get the Dometic. Camping World return policy and service locations made it a simple choice for me. My return on investment was easy. Old way 10lb bag of ice each day $2. 351 days( 2 weeks off). 351x $2 = $700 so my break even is at the end first year. Given the number of years I hope to keep this in service....it just made sense.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
Ya. I was just looking at them. I'll admit. I'm new to the overland world and was shocked at the price. But honestly I think for my needs, the smaller 28 may be good. I've found it for under 600 bucks which is more like it for me. I'm really impressed in what I've seen from the Domestic in just researching it the last 1hr.

jeepnewbie

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Wrangler Sport S, 08' Toyota Tacoma
Occupation
GE Aviation
Vehicle Showcase
Purchased the Slide CFX 3540 for the cfx 40. Now the installation instructions require a 0.5" wooden platform to install it. Anyone built similar platform and if so ... how did they attache it to the floor? If they didn't how was the slide attached? I am thinking the platform is not really needed but I would like to here thoughts of this community on this one.
I'm currently in the process of designing and building a fridge/drawer system. I started with building a platform that bolts in place of the original tie downs. Fairly simple and gives you a solid and safe way to mount the fridge. 3/4" plywood

IMG_6127.jpg

xeon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Great idea...love the hatch door. Going to have to do something very similar.

OP
OP
JK47

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Ouch the price point is pretty high 727 on Amazon Is that the norm for fridges like this?
I bought mine from here for a lot less than Amazon or anyone else for that matter, free shipping was slow. The majority of the shipping time is processing the order, because the fridge was drop shipped from Dometic's west coast warehouse 45 min from me. Took 1 day once it actually shipped.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometic-CF-35-Waeco-Cool-Freeze-Portable-Fridge-Freezer.html

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I bought mine from here for a lot less than Amazon or anyone else for that matter, free shipping was slow. The majority of the shipping time is processing the order, because the fridge was drop shipped from Dometic's west coast warehouse 45 min from me. Took 1 day once it actually shipped.

http://www.rvpartscountry.com/Dometic-CF-35-Waeco-Cool-Freeze-Portable-Fridge-Freezer.html
Nice. I actually had that in my cart last night and hesitated because price is like 150 lower than anywhere else. Good to know its legit. I may purchase today. Just debating as I kind of want a Roof Rack more LOL. Ugh decisions decisions.
Sponsored