Dogs in a 2-door?

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
No tint. It is just the stock premium tan top. I guess it may look more tinted because of the tan.
Copy. Wish they'd had one on my lot, the black is nice as well but something about the tan just catches my eye!
Sponsored

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Thanks, this is helpful. He can definitely jump in the back for several more years, but the space behind the seat seems like it could be too small. I like the idea of just taking out the back seats, although my wife will think it's ridiculous, but the problem is that I have no place to store it at my house.
just sell your couch in the house and use the backseat of the Jeep there. Though it is more love seat size than couch...

Chris2183

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S (Sold) 2021 JLU Willys
Just leave it in the Jeep folded up. There will still be plenty of room for the dog.

Get a Velcro strap to keep it from bouncing around.

@webertiger The rear seat has velcro straps on the seat and mounting points on the roll bar to attach them. Way better than the seat in the JK that bounces around if you dont tie it down.

@JLNOLA my 150lb Dane fits with the rear seat removed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? A9872527-45B0-4589-A0F5-271FB486C620

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
I don't know what your storage situation is but the back seat does not take up much space to store. I keep mine in a $20 christmas tree bag I bought from amazon on the floor against the wall in the garage behind the jeep. The 2 door is so short there is plenty of room.

I live in New Orleans and garages are like unicorns. Thanks for the photo, that gives me scale for what kind of space I'd need to find somewhere.

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
@webertiger The rear seat has velcro straps on the seat and mounting points on the roll bar to attach them. Way better than the seat in the JK that bounces around if you dont tie it down.

This is awesome! Good looking pup.

Sponsored

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
My rescue dogs (mostly medium-large breeds) have traveled a bunch of miles in my JK 2-door, but I had the rear seat removed and a Canvasback cargo liner over the carpet, both for ease of cleanliness and the canvas material was good for their paws to get traction while driving.

One thing to note, being as you live in the deep south, is that the 2-door doesn't have any rear windows for you to roll down for them. If they like hanging their heads out, you might find removing the headrest on the passenger seat and rolling the passenger window down will give them a place to lay their head and stick their nose in the breeze.

Another thing to note is that, while the front passenger seat slides forward and tilts up off the track from the rear to allow easier access for those getting in the back seat, it's still fairly awkward for a bigger dog to get in using the side doors, so the rear cargo door is really the best option.

As silly as it probably sounds to most, my current JL on order is my very first 4-door, and my dogs are ultimately the reason I finally broke down and ordered an Unlimited. Having the rear doors will allow the pups entry without my needing to open the rear cargo door (which will be way more convenient when I have the hitch-mounted cargo rack on the back) and the rear windows will make them very happy when cruising through the mountains. It also gives more storage space, so putting some gear at the rear of the Jeep doesn't completely eliminate the pups' space.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a 2-door (probably moreso I'm trying to reassure myself that a 4-door wasn't a dumb choice). I only bring this up because you mentioned you haven't bought a Jeep yet, so it's just food for thought in case you had other plans for the Jeep in the future (car camping, extended road trips, etc).

Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? IMG_2198
Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? IMG_1784
Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? IMG_1863-2
Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? IMG_1898

OP
OP
JLNOLA

JLNOLA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sport S MT
My rescue dogs (mostly medium-large breeds) have traveled a bunch of miles in my JK 2-door, but I had the rear seat removed and a Canvasback cargo liner over the carpet, both for ease of cleanliness and the canvas material was good for their paws to get traction while driving.

One thing to note, being as you live in the deep south, is that the 2-door doesn't have any rear windows for you to roll down for them. If they like hanging their heads out, you might find removing the headrest on the passenger seat and rolling the passenger window down will give them a place to lay their head and stick their nose in the breeze.

Another thing to note is that, while the front passenger seat slides forward and tilts up off the track from the rear to allow easier access for those getting in the back seat, it's still fairly awkward for a bigger dog to get in using the side doors, so the rear cargo door is really the best option.

As silly as it probably sounds to most, my current JL on order is my very first 4-door, and my dogs are ultimately the reason I finally broke down and ordered an Unlimited. Having the rear doors will allow the pups entry without my needing to open the rear cargo door (which will be way more convenient when I have the hitch-mounted cargo rack on the back) and the rear windows will make them very happy when cruising through the mountains. It also gives more storage space, so putting some gear at the rear of the Jeep doesn't completely eliminate the pups' space.

I'm certainly not trying to talk you out of a 2-door (probably moreso I'm trying to reassure myself that a 4-door wasn't a dumb choice). I only bring this up because you mentioned you haven't bought a Jeep yet, so it's just food for thought in case you had other plans for the Jeep in the future (car camping, extended road trips, etc).

appreciate your time and insight. Great pics too.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
I put 2 large boxers in the back of mine Seat out, or one with seat folded up.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon

Sponsored

Squirly

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BMW 635csi 16 Fiesta St 20 Jl sport bikini pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Our 80ish pound golden Shepard lab likes the back seat. we have side steps which he uses. he got stuck under the steering wheel once so now he only hops in on the passenger side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? IMG_20200210_212405~2

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
Our 80ish pound golden Shepard lab likes the back seat. we have side steps which he uses. he got stuck under the steering wheel once so now he only hops in on the passenger side.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? IMG_20200210_212405~2
Yo what is that seat cover??

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
I removed the back seat the day i brought mine home. My dog loves the open space back there. Throw a dog bed in the back and just open the rear gate. Best dog vehicle ever... and a plus side my wife and I dont have to have passengers. " oh sorry , two seater only"
Same setup as us. Throw a dog bed in back and our 50lb Border Collie is in heaven.
Plenty of room left over to pack enough for a two week trip as well...
Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? 20220402_151321_20220402_152816

Falcor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Forester, 2011 Subaru Legacy GT

Jeep Wrangler JL Dogs in a 2-door? 20220402_151321_20220402_152816
I think you have my dog. 😁

IMG_6084.jpeg
Sponsored