OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
I have a 2dr Rubicon soft top with the rear seat removed. An XL crate fits fine, but it is a PIA to load the dog in/out since I need to undo the rear soft window, throw it up on top, load the dog, then reattach the rear soft window. Hardtop would make life easier from that standpoint. But I still would not give up my soft top ....
iam getting ready to order the Jeep but still wondering about the top. I really like the soft tops With the soft top, can you roll up the back window and secure it? I train dogs, it would be a pain To take the window out and store it somewhere while I train
Sponsored

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
iam getting ready to order the Jeep but still wondering about the top. I really like the soft tops With the soft top, can you roll up the back window and secure it? I train dogs, it would be a pain To take the window out and store it somewhere while I tr
Hi. Iā€™ve had 4 wranglers. And I hunt with dogs constantly. Birds and ducks. The first two jeeps were soft tops. The rear entry is a total pain in the butt. I love soft tops but since Iā€™ve gone to the dual top option on my last two jeeps I never put the rear window on when Iā€™m in soft top mode. For hunting and non-warm weather use in general the hard top is definitely the way to go. Having said that I would definitely either get the dual top option or plan to get some kind of soft top aftermarket to enjoy the jeep in the summertime.
On my latest wrangler I went with a four-door which is the first four-door Iā€™ve ever had. I swore I would never get anything but a two door. I know you said you had one golden that you train. I used to be a one dog person but have since changed to a setter and a griffon which means I need room for two crates and gear. Two crates fit side-by-side with the seat folded down plus I have plenty of room for whatever I want to bring with me. If you are certain youā€™re going to stay with just one dog and one crate then a two door would work just fine. A two door wrangler is the icon everything else tries to be. In my case Iā€™ve done three of them and I was needing the extra room. If you want to talk more shoot me a PM and Iā€™ll give you my number sounds like you and I use the jeeps for similar activities

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I have a 2 door, hardtop, back seat removed. I use exactly the size crate you mention when I transport macaws. Fits fine. Also, the liner mentioned in post #9 is excellent...I've been using one for 18 months.

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
Hi. Iā€™ve had 4 wranglers. And I hunt with dogs constantly. Birds and ducks. The first two jeeps were soft tops. The rear entry is a total pain in the butt. I love soft tops but since Iā€™ve gone to the dual top option on my last two jeeps I never put the rear window on when Iā€™m in soft top mode. For hunting and non-warm weather use in general the hard top is definitely the way to go. Having said that I would definitely either get the dual top option or plan to get some kind of soft top aftermarket to enjoy the jeep in the summertime.
On my latest wrangler I went with a four-door which is the first four-door Iā€™ve ever had. I swore I would never get anything but a two door. I know you said you had one golden that you train. I used to be a one dog person but have since changed to a setter and a griffon which means I need room for two crates and gear. Two crates fit side-by-side with the seat folded down plus I have plenty of room for whatever I want to bring with me. If you are certain youā€™re going to stay with just one dog and one crate then a two door would work just fine. A two door wrangler is the icon everything else tries to be. In my case Iā€™ve done three of them and I was needing the extra room. If you want to talk more shoot me a PM and Iā€™ll give you my number sounds like you and I use the jeeps for similar activities
Hello Jeep1967
I pulled,thee trigger and ordered a 4 door unlimited Rubicon diesel with a soft top. I know itā€™s going to be a pain in the *** but I will put up with it. I drive to trainIng areas about 3 times a week and the rest is on our property. So I think I will be fine. Have you ever driven the Jeep with soft top without the back window? When competing at trials/hunt tests I could drive without back window short distances

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello Jeep1967
I pulled,thee trigger and ordered a 4 door unlimited Rubicon diesel with a soft top. I know itā€™s going to be a pain in the *** but I will put up with it. I drive to trainIng areas about 3 times a week and the rest is on our property. So I think I will be fine. Have you ever driven the Jeep with soft top without the back window? When competing at trials/hunt tests I could drive without back window short distances
Congratulations on the new jeep I think a diesel is a good option and youā€™re not gonna regret the four door.
Iā€™ve driven with the back window off almost exclusively. But I also usually have the doors off too. I think there is some concern with carbon monoxide from the exhaust if you drive a lot with only the back window removed. Youā€™re not going that far then I wouldnā€™t worry about it at all or you can always put the windows down. Of course without a window on the back you have to worry about rain. But like I said I had two soft tops only on jeeps for years and I just rolled up the back window- itā€™s made to do that. I try to make sure the windows are clean when Iā€™m rolling it up even dust will scratch the thing -but you can always replace the window if it gets that bad. I never had to replace any windows in any of the jeeps Iā€™ve had. Send some pictures

Sponsored

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
Congratulations on the new jeep I think a diesel is a good option and youā€™re not gonna regret the four door.
Iā€™ve driven with the back window off almost exclusively. But I also usually have the doors off too. I think there is some concern with carbon monoxide from the exhaust if you drive a lot with only the back window removed. Youā€™re not going that far then I wouldnā€™t worry about it at all or you can always put the windows down. Of course without a window on the back you have to worry about rain. But like I said I had two soft tops only on jeeps for years and I just rolled up the back window- itā€™s made to do that. I try to make sure the windows are clean when Iā€™m rolling it up even dust will scratch the thing -but you can always replace the window if it gets that bad. I never had to replace any windows in any of the jeeps Iā€™ve had. Send some pictures
Hello Jeep67

šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š good news, we are picking up the Jeep today. Iā€™ll post pictures later today or tomorrow

Okie3

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hello Jeep67

šŸ˜ŠšŸ˜ŠšŸ˜Š good news, we are picking up the Jeep today. Iā€™ll post pictures later today or tomorrow

Okie3
Great news. Send a bunch of pictures. Get a good look at how that carpet looks new (minus dog hair).....

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
We picked up our JLU rubicon diesel yesterday. Love it and our golden has already add his hair to the carpet now, need to go get a new crate for him. One that he canā€™t look look out and watch hunt tests
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 77BE22B0-0E77-42D6-B680-B6499789173A

Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 6D1B584F-6CD0-4C20-952D-4CCE341EF6B9
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 77BE22B0-0E77-42D6-B680-B6499789173A
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 01703C5F-B186-49A5-A4FD-0A7040F92D00

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice looking.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)