Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
Hello
We are getting ready to order our first jeep in over 15 years. The Jeep we are wanting to order is the Rubicon but trying to figure out 2 door or 4 door THIS IS NOT A 2 VS 4 DOOR THREAD šŸ˜Š. One of the requirements is that we can use a crate for our golden retriever to take him to training and to field trials and hunt tests. The crate we use now is a wire crate that is 24x23x36 long. We like the 2 door but it must hold the crate with backseat folded or removed. If we canā€™t then weā€™ll go with 4 door ā€” dog is important member of family.

Can I get recommendations and pictures of crates in a 2 door and 4 door

As a side note, we live in Landrum SC ā€” any dealer recommendations?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Hello
We are getting ready to order our first jeep in over 15 years. The Jeep we are wanting to order is the Rubicon but trying to figure out 2 door or 4 door THIS IS NOT A 2 VS 4 DOOR THREAD šŸ˜Š. One of the requirements is that we can use a crate for our golden retriever to take him to training and to field trials and hunt tests. The crate we use now is a wire crate that is 24x23x36 long. We like the 2 door but it must hold the crate with backseat folded or removed. If we canā€™t then weā€™ll go with 4 door ā€” dog is important member of family.

Can I get recommendations and pictures of crates in a 2 door and 4 door

As a side note, we live in Landrum SC ā€” any dealer recommendations?
Dimensions listed in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-trunk-dimensions-with-rear-seats-down.10134/

You wonā€™t have any trouble with the seat removed.

When I used to drive a Raptor, I had one of these Ruff Kennels for strapping in the bed. They are significantly safer in a crash than a wire crate. (In the Jeep I just buckle him in with one of those seatbelt harness thingies.)

https://rufflandkennels.com/

Goldens love 2dr Rubicons. Proof is in the smile:

Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? C0D5996C-8173-460E-A5E1-BA12BA6924FF
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 045CF8BC-9EAB-4218-B083-A71BD765BDA8

mlebofsky

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon softtop
Occupation
Director, DoD
I have a 2dr Rubicon soft top with the rear seat removed. An XL crate fits fine, but it is a PIA to load the dog in/out since I need to undo the rear soft window, throw it up on top, load the dog, then reattach the rear soft window. Hardtop would make life easier from that standpoint. But I still would not give up my soft top ....

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Iā€™ve got a 2-door with hard top. My dog is a small one... Welsh Corgi. I can tell you his crate fits fine with plenty of extra room with the seat removed, but goes in sideways with the seat folded (leaving 10 inches for his small body to get out of the cage.)

I would think your golden will be fine if you plan on keeping the seat removed, but not if you need the back seat in.

Bstran

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Granite Crystal, 2017 F150
Been using an intermediate RuffTuff kennel for my GSP. I have the 4 door and it goes in the back with the seats folded down. Sorry I donā€™t have pics of it currently cause the kennel goes in and out for field days only right now. I agree with old guy that the dog is safer in a kennel like the rufftuff or gunner kennel than a wire type of kennel. I also use a smaller kennel for travel than what they use at home.

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
My friends and I spent about 70$ and 5 hours building this from plywood and carpet. It really helps with having things in the back of the 2 door and even putting my pit mix in her kennel in the back I have so much room. I also used to have the dirty dog cover for the back and I really liked it, but its a long story as to why I no longer have it. This solution really helps and even with no kennel my pit and corgi fit just fine in the back.

Keep in mind tho, I took my seats out and never put them back in. With the back seat folded up you can definitely still fit a dog, but its my personal preference not to have the seats. I wish I had some pictures of it packed up, I can fit the kennel and 5 days worth of camping stuff if need be.

Edit: as for a dealer, I got my first one from Lake Norman CDJR and got 8% off invoice. Second JL came from Northgate in Raleigh and a lot of people in my friend group got their Jeep from there. Not sure about SC, but its relatively close!

Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 20200712_173405

Storminā€™ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 105# doberman that we put in a crate in the back of a 4-door. With the back seats down its no issues. But with the back seats up we have to get him to jump in the kennel then turn it sideways for the back door to close.

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
thanks for the suggestions.
More I think about it, the 2 door would be a good choice with the backseat removed. This will be my daily driver and majority of the time it will only be me except when I train and then HAPPY, our GR, will be with me. On occasion, my other half will ride in it ā€” we are empty nest folks now. We have other cars to hold more people.

I will look for a non-wire cage crate as suggested.

The_Armed_Gardener

First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Willys 2021 2D, Subaru, Ford Ranger, Aluminum Jet Pump Sled
Occupation
Transit Authority Paratransit Operator
There is plenty of room with the back seat out of the 2 door JL for your needs. You might like this product, BTW.

Rugged Ridge All Terrain Full Cargo Liner; Black

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I took the back seat out of my 18 JLUR about a year and half ago. I made a platform from 3/4" plywood and put a 3" foam sheet on it for padding while on rough roads. The platform is held by the two 10mm where the most forward tiedown anchors attach and the front is supported by a vertical board.

There's enough room under the platform in the footwell for a few shotguns in softcases and a few boxes of ammo an a couple vests. A couple bird dogs, a small ice chest, a big blue water cube and some gear still leaves room for another dog or two. If I put crates in, I'm guessing only one would fit for my big framed 70lb pointer, or maybe two for a couple 45 lb female pointers. In a pinch, the platform will support at least one 190 lb person.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 20201221_085159
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 20201221_085255
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 20201221_085129
Jeep Wrangler JL Dog Crate in 2 door or 4 door? 20201221_090001

Sponsored

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
thanks for the suggestions.
More I think about it, the 2 door would be a good choice with the backseat removed. This will be my daily driver and majority of the time it will only be me except when I train and then HAPPY, our GR, will be with me. On occasion, my other half will ride in it ā€” we are empty nest folks now. We have other cars to hold more people.

I will look for a non-wire cage crate as suggested.
A door door is great for 2 folks, the seat foes in/out easily (though mines been in the basement no got a long time šŸ˜). Lots of room for dog crate, cooler or whatever back there. Check out a Gunner crate if youā€™re hauling the pup a lot, nice safety for the dog.

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
With a 4 door, can you fold the larger backseat down could you get a crate in and still have the smaller seat useable?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
With a 4 door, can you fold the larger backseat down could you get a crate in and still have the smaller seat useable?
It depends on the dimensions of the crate. Yes, it is doable. Also, I too recommend the Gunner crates. They will protect your dog even in a catastrophic collision, even a rollover. The things are almost crush-proof. A wire crate could kill your dog, or the dog could escape the accident scene, as wire crates fare very poorly in collisions.

We have three Gunners, by the way, for large dogs. Two will fit in the back of a four-door with the back seats folded down.

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
With seats down/removed there would be no issue fitting a large crate in a 2-drJeep. We also have a golden (though still only a puppy at 4mths old) and his crate fits just fine in the rear of our 4-dr JL.. We have 2 young kids so we need the rear seats.

OP
OP

Okietryon

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, F350
Thanks for all the input. Going to look at both 2 and 4 doors sometime next week. Planning to order one early January.
Ed, enjoy your puppy. They grow fast. Ours is 28 months and is a dark red golden that we do field trials and hunt tests with
Sponsored