Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Hey gang,

I’m looking for ownership experiences from those that run the full 2.5 ton aluminum tie rod and drag link set-up from Doetch.

If you had the chance to go a different direction, would you?
Have you “tested” the durability and how’d it turn out?
What do you like the most and what do you like the least?

Any and all feedback on this would be great…..

Respects,
VKSheridan
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the RPM Performance 2.5 ton 2" aluminum tie rod and drag link. I was sitting on them for a number of months, so they now offer blacked out rod ends. RPM, Doetsch, and Rusty’s are pretty much all the same. They all offer the same 1.25" rod ends that are offset to clear the tires at full steering lock. I haven't yet gotten a chance to beat them against anything, but they feel stronger than the SteerSmarts linkages that they replaced.
Jeep Wrangler JL Doetsch 2.5 Ton Drag Link/Tie Rod for JL 20211013_132423
Jeep Wrangler JL Doetsch 2.5 Ton Drag Link/Tie Rod for JL 20211013_132453
Jeep Wrangler JL Doetsch 2.5 Ton Drag Link/Tie Rod for JL 20211013_132518

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Been considering RPM. I like the fact they use SteerSmart links.
They offer aluminum replacement bars for the SteerSmarts tie rod ends, but their 2" 2.5 ton linkage set has a larger and stronger set of tre's. 2 completely different setups, as SteerSmarts is rated at 1 ton.

Here's a pic I took of the RPM and SteerSmarts linkages laying next to each other. And a couple more to compare both setups on my Jeep. As beefy as the SteerSmarts are, the RPM's dwarf them.
Jeep Wrangler JL Doetsch 2.5 Ton Drag Link/Tie Rod for JL 20211002_174149
Jeep Wrangler JL Doetsch 2.5 Ton Drag Link/Tie Rod for JL 20200613_202559

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
They offer aluminum replacement bars for the SteerSmarts tie rod ends, but their 2" 2.5 ton linkage set has a larger and stronger set of tre's. 2 completely different setups, as SteerSmarts is rated at 1 ton.

Here's a pic I took of the RPM and SteerSmarts linkages laying next to each other. And a couple more to compare both setups on my Jeep. As beefy as the SteerSmarts are, the RPM's dwarf them.
I deleted my comment. I should of known better than quoting someone LOL. Have a 2022 Rubicon XR ordered and been buying up parts. RPM lists many steering stabilizer bracket options. What setup do you recommend with a 2.5 or 3.5 lift?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I deleted my comment. I should of known better than quoting someone LOL. Have a 2022 Rubicon XR ordered and been buying up parts. RPM lists many steering stabilizer bracket options. What setup do you recommend with a 2.5 or 3.5 lift?
Well, I opted for the Fox TS stabilizer. On the tie rod and drag link product page, I choose "standard stabilizer clamp for Fox ATS" on the drop down menu. Only difference between the TS and ATS is the latter is adjustable. Otherwise, they are both Through Shaft style units.

Sponsored

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I opted for the Fox TS stabilizer. On the tie rod and drag link product page, I choose "standard stabilizer clamp for Fox ATS" on the drop down menu. Only difference between the TS and ATS is the latter is adjustable. Otherwise, they are both Through Shaft style units.
Appreciate the info...

Jeepnutz

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey gang,

I’m looking for ownership experiences from those that run the full 2.5 ton aluminum tie rod and drag link set-up from Doetch.

If you had the chance to go a different direction, would you?
Have you “tested” the durability and how’d it turn out?
What do you like the most and what do you like the least?

Any and all feedback on this would be great…..

Respects,
VKSheridan
Highly recommend looking at RPM. Been researching them and so far haven't found one negative thing.

OP
OP
VKSheridan

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Highly recommend looking at RPM. Been researching them and so far haven't found one negative thing.
I hear ya. I’ve researched every 2.5 ton O.E.M. and as previously mentioned, they all are quite comparable. The key thing I want to avoid is going with someone who is so “unique“, they are the only supplier. Imagine waiting three weeks for a replacement TRE because your linkage has Indonesian thread pitch that nobody else uses…..LOL

For what I see, the big boys in the game all run pretty common on the aluminum bars so in fairness, TRE’s should be relatively easy to come by and probably interchangeable. That is critical on the trail after abusing a rock that was more stubborn than the driver…. Heh heh

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I hear ya. I’ve researched every 2.5 ton O.E.M. and as previously mentioned, they all are quite comparable. The key thing I want to avoid is going with someone who is so “unique“, they are the only supplier. Imagine waiting three weeks for a replacement TRE because your linkage has Indonesian thread pitch that nobody else uses…..LOL

For what I see, the big boys in the game all run pretty common on the aluminum bars so in fairness, TRE’s should be relatively easy to come by and probably interchangeable. That is critical on the trail after abusing a rock that was more stubborn than the driver…. Heh heh
Yeah, best that I can tell RPM, Doetsch, and Rusty’s are all interchangeable so whoever can get you a replacement the quickest will get the cash. What made me lean towards RPM was their use of anti wobble bushings on the TRE's.

Sponsored

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 1986 CJ7
I recently installed the RPM Performance 2.5 ton 2" aluminum tie rod and drag link. I was sitting on them for a number of months, so they now offer blacked out rod ends. RPM, Doetsch, and Rusty’s are pretty much all the same. They all offer the same 1.25" rod ends that are offset to clear the tires at full steering lock. I haven't yet gotten a chance to beat them against anything, but they feel stronger than the SteerSmarts linkages that they replaced.
Tell me about those knuckles and axle shafts please.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tell me about those knuckles and axle shafts please.
Some of my more recent upgrades. The knuckles are from Reid Racing and are made with high strength ductile iron. They will resist getting wallowed out from the ball joints and steering linkages, while doing a better job at keeping all of those tapered parts locked in. The factory aluminum ones were designed with priority of being lightweight.

The axle shafts are from RCV Performance. I forget the exact grade of chromoly they are made of, but are rated to resist twisting or breaking from upwards of a 43" tire. They are supposedly stronger than the shafts in a 60 series axle. Also, the heavy duty cv shaft allows climbing power to be put through a locked front axle with the steering fully turned. A ujoint becomes a bigger and bigger failure point, the more its steered from dead straight. I went with their 2-piece axle set that retains full function of the front axle disconnect, so the front driveshaft isn't spinning in 2h. The 1-piece set is only 5% stronger. In my opinion, that's not enough benefit to offset the disadvantage.

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
So just a heads up, depending on wheel backspacing some of these will hit the rim at full lock. I’m running the Rusty’s system and AEV Borah Beadlocks, the rod ends hit at full lock. RPM is now using ends from APEX Chassis that are shaped differently, almost the same as the SS ends. They appear to have more clearance with the rim, I am waiting to receive a set of ends from APEX and I’m going to swap the ends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VKSheridan

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
So just a heads up, depending on wheel backspacing some of these will hit the rim at full lock. I’m running the Rusty’s system and AEB Beadlocks, the rod ends hit at full lock. RPM is now using ends from APEX Chassis that are shaped differently, almost the same as the SS ends. They appear to have more clearance with the rim, I am waiting to receive a set of ends from APEX and I’m going to swap the ends.
Good to know, thank you!

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
So just a heads up, depending on wheel backspacing some of these will hit the rim at full lock. I’m running the Rusty’s system and AEV Borah Beadlocks, the rod ends hit at full lock. RPM is now using ends from APEX Chassis that are shaped differently, almost the same as the SS ends. They appear to have more clearance with the rim, I am waiting to receive a set of ends from APEX and I’m going to swap the ends.
3.5” backspacing for the win.
Sponsored