Sponsored

Does your 2.0 turbo rattle/click during deceleration?

Does your JL 2.0 turbo motor make a “clicking/rattling” noise during deceleration?

• Total voters

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
For well over a year now, my 2018 2.0 turbo has made a “rattle” or “clicking” noise during deceleration (coasting), most noticeable from 30mph. It’s there at higher speeds too, but harder to hear due to associated wind noise. It seems to have gotten worse over time, and I can now hear it in the cabin. But when the windows are down, the top is back, or doors are off....it’s VERY noticeable (and annoying).

You can read more about it here: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/turbo-rattle.28478/.

Also in this thread are videos (shared by JLWF members) depicting the rattle/clicking noises (pages 10 and 11).

I’m curious how many other JLWF turbo owners are experiencing this same noise?

Thank you for your answers.
David
Sponsored

Last edited:

ErAcEr

First Name
Matthew (Mateo)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 ZH2 , 2018 Z900, 2013 Vulcan 1700
Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I saw a post a long while back that the Coolant reservoir tank would rattle. Used a zip-tie to clamp down.

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Just noticed it with the doors off. It is definitely the transmission. When I decelerate and hear the noise, place the shiter on neutral and the noise goes away. Also it is not constant as sometimes will make the rattle noise and go away. Calling the dealership tomorrow for an appointment.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Mine only does it on cool down after some time at higher speed/loads. Most other turbo vehicles I've had have done similar.

johnnyj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless but still a fan.
Mine does it slightly. It's the wastegate. All the ones I test drove also did it very slightly. There's been folks who have experienced much louder versions, who have had turbos replaced. I suspect if one were to use a chassis ear, all of these engines do it to some degree. Folks who say theirs definitively doesn't do it probably just aren't hearing it because it's too faint.

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
I saw a post a long while back that the Coolant reservoir tank would rattle. Used a zip-tie to clamp down.
Not the issue here. I tied mine and it stil does it and is definitely the turbo wastegate actuator. Also the videos posted on the link above show the issue.

joliett

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
check the heat shields for the muffler and transmission.
Sponsored