Sponsored

Does the Stock metal bumper need a winch plate to mount a winch? If so, what do you recommend?

DaveKight

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon / 2022 JLUR 4XE (On Order)
Occupation
Lawyer
Looking to put a winch into the stock metal bumper. Do I need a winch plate? If so, what do you suggest?
Sponsored

5foot19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My understanding is yes. I haven't sourced mine yet, so I cannot recommend one at this time.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
We went with JCR for our winch plate, mostly because it was much cheaper than some of the other brands.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500

PepperE

First Name
Pepper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 1975 Ford Bronco
With minimal skills & tools, I installed the Maximus-3 winch plate, fairlead and grill guard (w/Smitybilt winch). Probably took me a few hours longer than most, but everything fits well - no cutting or modifications required. Maximus gives forum members a discount as does RubiTrux who also sells their products. Some plates require additional parts and/or modifications for install AND are made with thinner steel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does the Stock metal bumper need a winch plate to mount a winch?  If so, what do you recommend? D00D74A0-DF5D-4F39-95B0-164B75C6A64F
Jeep Wrangler JL Does the Stock metal bumper need a winch plate to mount a winch?  If so, what do you recommend? 76819E46-0B7F-4818-BAAD-DF8CCBBF50F4

Sponsored

mark1820

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep Trackhawk
Mopar makes a winch mount but its on the high side but no cutting or any modification at all. then there is the warn winch mount nice but it does require a little modification but both are good units i have used both

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
I used the Warn one. Don't have a ton of close up shots of it but I like that it spaces the bumper outwards a little so that there's less of a chance of clearance issues with the engagement lever. I did have to take my Dremel and $5 steel cutting bit and oval out the holes on the skid plate to get all the holes lined up while reassembling, but wasn't a big deal.

Jeep Wrangler JL Does the Stock metal bumper need a winch plate to mount a winch?  If so, what do you recommend? IMG_3826

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts
Looking to put a winch into the stock metal bumper. Do I need a winch plate? If so, what do you suggest?
As you already know, yes it does.

I would recommend the GRIMM Offroad winch plate.

Super easy to install, great price, available, zero mods needed.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Rusty’s, Maximus-3, and Warn are the best plates to go with. I’ve done the Warn and Rusty’s. Warn is heavier than most others out there but it’s very well engineered. Rusty’s is lighter, cheaper, and frankly easier to get these days (Warn is out of stock a lot). I think Rusty’s is easier to install overall and should be just as strong as the Warn. I haven’t installed the Maximus-3 but as you can see, it has a good rep around here.

I wouldn’t touch the Mopar one. It is simply overpriced.

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
With minimal skills & tools, I installed the Maximus-3 winch plate, fairlead and grill guard (w/Smitybilt winch). Probably took me a few hours longer than most, but everything fits well - no cutting or modifications required. Maximus gives forum members a discount as does RubiTrux who also sells their products. Some plates require additional parts and/or modifications for install AND are made with thinner steel.
Jeep Wrangler JL Does the Stock metal bumper need a winch plate to mount a winch?  If so, what do you recommend? IMG_3826
So you may have answered a question I am looking into... many winches (not wenches) seem to be a "mess" when it comes to a clean wire/power run. They hit the grill, they don't wire manage well. Yours seems to be neat and tidy, and the winch sits low, how did you run your wires any chance for a top shot of the install and the wire run? Thanks!

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
+1 on the Maximus 3 plate.

And pretty much everything else they make. See......

Jeep Wrangler JL Does the Stock metal bumper need a winch plate to mount a winch?  If so, what do you recommend? 1618347658830

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
So you may have answered a question I am looking into... many winches (not wenches) seem to be a "mess" when it comes to a clean wire/power run. They hit the grill, they don't wire manage well. Yours seems to be neat and tidy, and the winch sits low, how did you run your wires any chance for a top shot of the install and the wire run? Thanks!
FYI: Maximus-3 makes some trim plates that cover up a lot of the ugliness: https://maximus-3.com/home/jl-filler-trim-plates-zeon-evo

Couldn't find a good JL photo, so here's a JK:

-3-rubicon-x-hard-rock-10a-zeon-filler-trim-plates.jpg
Sponsored