Does the Jeep know I used synthetic oil

SonicPearl

First Name
Smoke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL in Waiting
Does the Jeep JL actually monitor the oil? Will it know that I used synthetic or will it just advise me that I need an oil change at set interval regardless of synthetic or not?
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
It'll let you know when it locks up. :CWL:

No, on a serious note the monitor doesn't know or care that synthetic or non-synthetic was used. It only monitors time and engine load. However, synthetic is strongly recommended, especially at colder climates.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I believe Mopar actually uses/recommends synthetic oil (0W-20) in the JL, so you'll be using what you're supposed to be using.

wranglerguyman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
What non synthetic 0W20 were you able to find?
That's one way to tell lol.

Aside from that, Jeep service centers did a terrible job in adapting to the 5 quart synthetic 0w20 (there's a whole thread about it somewhere here). When I first went to get an oil change, they put in 6 quarts of dino 5w-20. Soooooo, doing them myself from now on.

Op, just hang on to your receipts, you should be fine. That's what the dealership told me after I blasted them about the first debacle lol.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
2.0L uses 5-30w SN+ (5 qts is a little above the full mark, 4 qts is a little above the add mark)
There was a customer service notice that some 2.0L had the wrong oil in them and the filler cap says 5-20w.
The notice says for the dealer to replace filler cap with new that reads 5-30w and use SN+ type.
It appears the dealer corrected mine before purchase as there was a post card size notice included in my paperwork and the filler cap label is correct.
Sponsored